Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

city_17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2021
Hi all, I had some issues finding the right USB-C hub for my specific setup (connecting MBP14 to some SSDs, mouse, charger) and came up with this simple tool (you can try it here) to make finding a hub or dock a little easier.

You answer a few questions and get a list of potential hubs and docks that fit your setup.

I've created two 'paths':
  • one for non-tech-savvy people where you just select the types of devices you have
  • and another version where you can select the exact version of each port (e.g. HDMI 2.0, DP 1.4) you're looking for
You can switch between the two paths in the first question (how much do you know). You can also just jump straight to the results page to use classic filters to narrow down your selection.

I've tried to cover most types of ports, but there is definitely scope to make things more fine-tuned filters. For example it might be nice to have a filter for specific minimum resolutions and refresh rates (like 4k@120Hz), or specific performance under MacOS (most of the time MacOS supports fewer external displays or only in mirror mode compared to Windows).

I was curious what people here think about the tool, any feedback would be much appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.