Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HerbertDerb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2017
So what is the difference with 5 generation magic keyboard vs. the 4th?

From they outside the black variant looks identical, any news on the magnets, internal components etc.?

Reactions: Kurto220

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
So far the only known difference is that it‘s available in white. If you have the current MKB you should be good to go in using it with the new iPad.

HerbertDerb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2017
So far the only known difference is that it‘s available in white. If you have the current MKB you should be good to go in using it with the new iPad.
I don't own one yet.

But there has been few quality issues reported around the web (
)

So hopefully Apple has issued these quietly....

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
It's a mystery if there is a difference on the black model. On the surface there doesn't appear to be any functional differences but the fact that Apple removed the old one, calls the 5th generation "new", and you can't order it until April 30 seems to be there is something different about it. I know owners of the existing version are VERY interested in knowing if it will work with the 5th gen Pro.

Reactions: Kurto220

astridd

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2020
Belgium
Apple informed his resellers the current Magic Keyboard for the iPad Pro 12,9-inch won't be compatible with the iPad Pro 5th gen.

The "new" 12,9-inch keyboard will be compatible with 3th gen to 5th gen 12,9-inch.
The 3th gen 11-inch should be compatible with previous versions of the keyboard.

The 5th gen 12,9 inch is 6,4mm thick, while the 4th gen was 5,9mm. I'm not sure if that's the reason to retire the keyboard. ??‍♀️

Last edited:

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Apple informed his resellers the current Magic Keyboard for the iPad Pro 12,9-inch won't be compatible with the iPad Pro 5th gen.

The "new" 12,9-inch keyboard will be compatible with 3th gen to 5th gen 12,9-inch.
The 3th gen 11-inch should be compatible with previous versions of the keyboard.

The 5th gen 12,9 inch is 6,4mm thick, while the 4th gen was 5,9mm. I'm not sure if that's the reason to retire the keyboard. ??‍♀️
.5mm wouldn’t make a difference. It wouldn’t even be a problem for current non-keyboard cases. The 52 grams additional weight might possibly be a reason. However I don’t believe it would really be an issue. One person here posted that someone from Apple Support said it would be compatible. Until I have one in my hands or someone else does I will assume that it will be compatible.

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
Could take more power to charge the Mini LED screen and M1 in the new model perhaps?

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
According to this it was confirmed by Apple that the current MKB will work with the new iPad. The only thing I could find was that the Touch ID function of the Magic keyboard for iMac would not work with the iPad. The keyboard will work but not the Touch ID.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015

That is apparently incorrect.

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I see nothing in the specs that would make it incompatible, and at this point the only new model is the white one. No other differences have been mentioned anywhere. You’ll just have to wait and see. For now I’m pretty confident that I’ll be able to use my “old” black model.

SOL1995

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2020
I use a 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 with a Switcheasy CoverBuddy Case in my Magic Keyboard.

The CoverBuddy adds .08" (~2mm) to the thickness of the iPad Pro, which I've used no problems with the MagicKeyboard Gen1.

So I'm almost 100% sure that the new 2021 12.9 iPad Pro can be used with the Gen 1 Magic Keyboard, as it is only 0.5mm thicker.

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 12.47.52 pm.png

Reactions: onlinespending

jlsm511

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
KMIA
I confirmed with a trusted source. The old Magic Keyboard (2020 model) will not work with the new 5th Gen 12.9" iPad Pro. The new (2021 model) Magic Keyboard however will work with 3rd-5th Gen 12.9" iPad Pro. I couldn't find a reason for why (maybe new magnet positions?), but looks like anyone upgrading will need to get a new MK too :/

astridd

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2020
Belgium
That is apparently incorrect.

I work at an Apple Premium Reseller, I got this information from SEED (Sales Enablement Education and Development) app from Apple itself.
It literally states
'Note: Previous version Magic Keyboard for 12.9- inch iPad Pro (A1998) isn't compatible with 12.9-inch iPad Pro (5th generation)'​
No note with the 11-inch Magic Keyboard model.

Seems odd someone from Apple Support itself would negate something that's literally in SEED...

I'd like a more official announcement from Apple themselves. If there was NO difference then why are they releasing a new model?

I looked for it yesterday on the public website but couldn't find a reason why the 12.9-inch wouldn't be compatible nor that it isn't compatible.

It's sad people that previously purchased a 12,9-inch Magic Keyboard cannot use it on the 5th gen iPad Pro 12,9-inch...
Me and my colleagues are planning to test out this statement from Apple...

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
I work at an Apple Premium Reseller, I got this information from SEED (Sales Enablement Education and Development) app from Apple itself.
It literally states
'Note: Previous version Magic Keyboard for 12.9- inch iPad Pro (A1998) isn't compatible with 12.9-inch iPad Pro (5th generation)'​

Seems odd someone from Apple Support itself would negate something that's literally in SEED...

I looked for it yesterday on the public website but couldn't find a reason why the 12.9-inch wouldn't be compatible nor that it isn't compatible.

It's sad people that previously purchased a 12,9-inch Magic Keyboard cannot use it on the 5th gen iPad Pro 12,9-inch...
Thanks. I’ll return my MKB then and buy the new one.

jlsm511

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
KMIA
It literally states

Got my info from SEED as well :)

Reactions: astridd

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I do still hope the old Magic Keyboard works on the 5th gen for people that don't have the option to return their previous Magic Keyboard.
There may be limitations but since no one has one in hand we can’t conclude anything. And since all other current keyboards on the Apple store are shown working with the new device that means the physical connections(magnets, connecting pins) and software is the same so the odds are that the MKB will work. No decisions should be made until someone has one in hand.

astridd

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2020
Belgium
There may be limitations but since no one has one in hand we can’t conclude anything. And since all other current keyboards on the Apple store are shown working with the new device that means the physical connections(magnets, connecting pins) and software is the same so the odds are that the MKB will work. No decisions should be made until someone has one in hand.
We're planning on testing it in our store once we have the new iPad Pro demo's.
But I don't see why Apple would especially note the incompatibility if it would work perfectly with the previous case... We'll see. :)

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I use a 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 with a Switcheasy CoverBuddy Case in my Magic Keyboard.

The CoverBuddy adds .08" (~2mm) to the thickness of the iPad Pro, which I've used no problems with the MagicKeyboard Gen1.

So I'm almost 100% sure that the new 2021 12.9 iPad Pro can be used with the Gen 1 Magic Keyboard, as it is only 0.5mm thicker.

View attachment 1761896
That’s my assumption as well. That tiny additional thickness wouldn’t affect anything. The 52 grams extra weight - who knows? My guess is that if Apple comes out and says it’s not compatible that it will still work but possibly have some limitations. Time will tell.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
We're planning on testing it in our store once we have the new iPad Pro demo's.
But I don't see why Apple would especially note the incompatibility if it would work perfectly with the previous case...
I’m guessing it will work but that there may be some currently unstated limitations. We’ll all know soon enough. If the new keyboards are listed as being compatible with all older devices then that means the physical elements, magnets, pin connectors, are the same. The .5mm extra thickness wouldn’t affect that, and I don’t thick the extra 52 grams would be significant so there would have to be some other hidden issue.

astridd

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2020
Belgium
I’m guessing it will work but that there may be some currently unstated limitations. We’ll all know soon enough. If the new keyboards are listed as being compatible with all older devices then that means the physical elements, magnets, pin connectors, are the same. The .5mm extra thickness wouldn’t affect that, and I don’t thick the extra 52 grams would be significant so there would have to be some other hidden issue.
The only difference between the 11 and 12,9 inch is the mini-LED display and the thickness compared to the previous versions. I'm not sure what else could cause the sudden incompatibility, certainly because the 11-inch case is still compatible.

I hope it could be the thickness causing the case not to close as sleek as the previous versions.
So the incompatibility would be just design-wise (like the iPhone 7 cases wouldn't fit the iPhone 6S because the camera hole was be less pleasing), and not built in software blocking the previous case. ??

Reactions: papbot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.