Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
The only thing official that I could find is that the Touch ID Magic Keyboard won’t work with the new iPads but only the Touch ID doesn’t work the keyboard itself does. This is the iMac Magic Keyboard.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I hope it could be the thickness causing the case not to close as sleek as the previous versions.
Another poster as well as myself used something almost 2mm in thickness over our iPads and the case still worked. In my situation it left a tiny gap that could cause it to unexpectedly open. But .5mm would have no impact.

Reactions: onlinespending

jlsm511

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
KMIA
They could have changed the magnet layout on the iPad itself making it incompatible with the older Magic Keyboard. This could be solved by the new Magic Keyboard having matching magnets for both the 3rd-4th Gen iPad Pro as well as the new 5th Gen. Also speculation until Apple updates the Accessory Design Guidelines with the new models.

astridd

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2020
Belgium
They could have changed the magnet layout on the iPad itself making it incompatible with the older Magic Keyboard. This could be solved by the new Magic Keyboard having matching magnets for both the 3rd-4th Gen iPad Pro as well as the new 5th Gen. Also speculation until Apple updates the Accessory Design Guidelines with the new models.
Hmmm, shouldn't that also require the Smart Keyboard Folio to be updated?
I might have missed it, but I didn't think it was mentioned in SEED.

astridd

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2020
Belgium
Another poster as well as myself used something almost 2mm in thickness over our iPads and the case still worked. In my situation it left a tiny gap that could cause it to unexpectedly open. But .5mm would have no impact.
I'm still hoping it might be something design-y that makes it look not perfect in Apple's eyes. ??
And not some internal changes that make the old Magic Keyboard completely useless.

HerbertDerb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2017
I genuinely hope that Apple has made previous MKB with 5gen ipad. It sucks for the current MKB owners but for the new ones it's better. (Kinda)

Reason:
They are identical cosmetically (the black one) from previous gen MKB. The previous MKB did have some durability issues and i hope apple has fixed these "quietly".

Also, retailers cant pass of old black MKB as "new" one, because it's incompatible. We don't know how to tell apart from the old one to the new one yet, but i hope there is a way just "looking at it" to know if it's old or new one.

Or the box should be different. If the box or cosmetically they are identical, then i hope the old MKB won't work with the 5gen ipad pro.

It's fishy for retailer to sell old mkb as "new", but there are retailers like this.

Reactions: Porfiry

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I'm still hoping it might be something design-y that makes it look not perfect in Apple's eyes. ??
And not some internal changes that make the old Magic Keyboard completely useless.
The current Smart Keyboard Folio is shown as compatible which implies that the magnets haven’t changed, at least not in all locations. The only difference between that keyboard and the current MKB is the backlit keys. So that could possibly be the incompatibility - no backlighting. But it’s still hard to imagine every other current keyboard working except the Magic Keyboard. But again backlit keys are the only real difference.
AC8D4170-996F-494A-9ACF-4D5DB98BB599.jpeg

Last edited:

astridd

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2020
Belgium
The current Smart Keyboard Folio is shown as compatible which implies that the magnets haven’t changed, at least not in all locations. The only difference between that keyboard and the current MKB is the backlit keys. So that could possibly be the incompatibility - no backlighting. But it’s still hard to imagine every other current keyboard working except the Magic Keyboard. But again backlit keys are the only real difference.
View attachment 1762214

But if it would be related to the backlit keys, wouldn't they also update the 11-inch magic keyboard?

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
But if it would be related to the backlit keys, wouldn't they also update the 11-inch magic keyboard?
Yeah, that’s why it makes no sense whatsoever that the keyboard wouldn’t be fully compatible. I only mention the backlighting because its the only difference between it and the Smart Folio board, if that works then everything else should work also. But again there is only pure speculation out here, other than the tech blogger who states he was told by an Apple rep after the presentation that it WAS compatible. I haven’t seen anything else to change my mind about that.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Damn I hope this isn’t true. Looking forward to the new pro but the magic keyboard was so bloody expensive I don’t want to have to buy another. And resale value with west and rear will be crappy. Apple needs to support £350 accessories more than a couple of years

Reactions: astridd and papbot

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Damn I hope this isn’t true. Looking forward to the new pro but the magic keyboard was so bloody expensive I don’t want to have to buy another. And resale value with west and rear will be crappy. Apple needs to support £350 accessories more than a couple of years
Techradar states the magic keyboard (2020) wont close properly with the 12.9 Ipad pro 2021 therefore will need to buy a new keyboard case. However, the article says it probably wont be noticeable

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
As that article states it will work with the new iPads but there might be an issue in closing completely. So he doesn’t have one to base any facts on.

Several people including me have put material of about 2mm thickness on our iPads and the case closes fine. On mine it left enough of a gap that it could unexpectedly open. However .5mm caused no issue whatsoever. And anything under 2mm shouldn’t either. The article’s author assumes the keyboard would otherwise work, but again he has nothing to base that on either.

In addition Apple states that the current Smart Keyboard Folio is compatible with the 5th gen. If that extra thickness were an issue it wouldn’t be shown as compatible. Again a lot of speculation with no official statement. At this point I’m still assuming my MKB will work just fine - no new purchase, other than the iPad, necessary.

Last edited:

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
This is the blogger whose post was the first I found saying the current MKB will work with the new ipad. Apparently there has been a lot of back and forth about this with no other official confirmation. This tweet shows his text conversation with an Apple rep. When an official public notification comes I don’t know, my guess is on the 30th.

MrPomme

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
France
A french website confirms they saw the document sent to Apple Stores and it says the old Magic Keyboard 12,9 is not compatible with the new iPad Pro 12,9. Doesn’t say why exactly ...

Would be nice to have official communication from Apple. How many customers with this keyboard are gonna check if it’s compatible with the new iPad if Apple doesn’t say anywhere it’s not. It’s not like it’s a completely new design ?
It’s very strange.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
A french website confirms they saw the document sent to Apple Stores and it says the old Magic Keyboard 12,9 is not compatible with the new iPad Pro 12,9. Doesn’t say why exactly ...

Would be nice to have official communication from Apple. How many customers with this keyboard are gonna check if it’s compatible with the new iPad if Apple doesn’t say anywhere it’s not. It’s not like it’s a completely new design ?
It’s very strange.
Even those guys say it’s most likely an issue with closing the case not that the keyboard won’t work with the new iPad. That would be an issue for many but for others knowing they can still use their current keyboard will be a relief. I guess it’s just going to depend on what each person’s habit is when using the keyboard. Some may have no problem with just removing the iPad when they want to transport it. Either way it gives everyone time to continue using their current one until deciding whether to get a replacement or not.

Some could purchase or may already have the Smart Keyboard Folio, which is shown as compatible with the new iPad, when they want to carry the iPad away from home or an office and just use the MKB at home or the office.

MrPomme

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
France
I’m definitely planning to wait and see unless Apple says the keyboard is useless with the new iPad.
I don’t go out much with it, so it’s not a problem.
And if it needs the new one, I can buy one later. I can live without it for a while . :)

Reactions: papbot

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I don’t think there will be any connectivity issue with it since the current Smart Keyboard uses the same attachment method and connector pins. But if closing the whole thing is the issue many won’t really have an issue with that. We’ll just have to see when the thing is actually in people’s hands. It’s possible that the extra .5mm causes the keys to be pressed when closed, it’s hard to believe that it would actually prevent it from being closed. I believe some use a screen protector on their devices that may be almost that thick.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
The blogger I referenced posted to me that 9to5mac.com is also quoting the French article about it being incompatible.

AppleInsider is also quoting the same story. But there still is no indication that the keyboard won’t work, just that it may not close securely.

Last edited:

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I’m definitely planning to wait and see unless Apple says the keyboard is useless with the new iPad.
I don’t go out much with it, so it’s not a problem.
And if it needs the new one, I can buy one later. I can live without it for a while . :)
I rarely go out with mine so being able to use the keyboard will be acceptable even if it can’t be closed securely. I have a standard non-keyboard case that I can put it into, don’t think that .5mm will be an issue there, when I want to go out with it and just use its onscreen keyboard. Each person will have different habits and for many this won’t be a problem but for others it may be.

aacemyan

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2017
TX
As many have said and tried, I’ve added roughly .5 mm of paper to the back of my current 2020 iPad and it closes just fine. These soft touch cases don’t have the world’s smallest tolerances like the aluminum macbooks do, so i don’t see it as a problem. The only potential issue would be the 50gr additional weight, which may cause it to tip back ever so slightly quicker than with previous generation iPad.

That being said i’m in the same boat as everyone else here and refuse to upgrade my 2020 iPad if the case isn’t compaticle. The Apple trade in is pretty good at $580, so it would be worth it to me spending ~$400 to get the newer generation and be set for the next 1.5-2 years until they upgrade the pro again.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
As many have said and tried, I’ve added roughly .5 mm of paper to the back of my current 2020 iPad and it closes just fine. These soft touch cases don’t have the world’s smallest tolerances like the aluminum macbooks do, so i don’t see it as a problem. The only potential issue would be the 50gr additional weight, which may cause it to tip back ever so slightly quicker than with previous generation iPad.

That being said i’m in the same boat as everyone else here and refuse to upgrade my 2020 iPad if the case isn’t compaticle. The Apple trade in is pretty good at $580, so it would be worth it to me spending ~$400 to get the newer generation and be set for the next 1.5-2 years until they upgrade the pro again.
It’s quite likely that there won’t be a problem unless you want to carry it out and about with you. Like you I find the .5mm issue to be hard to imagine as the main problem. I’ve wondered if the extra weight would make it tippy, but the only way to compensate for that would be to make the new case even heavier than the current one. I can already hear the howls coming about that. I still think that functionally it will work just fine but carrying it out might be a problem.

aacemyan

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2017
TX
Given that apple products are designed in the pipelines years in advnance, I find it shocking they didn’t account for the new iPad thickness in advance to releasing the original magic keyboard about a year ago. Just leaves a sour taste in our mouth for those that ponied up early on.

Reactions: Porfiry and papbot

onlinespending

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2014
I use a 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 with a Switcheasy CoverBuddy Case in my Magic Keyboard.

The CoverBuddy adds .08" (~2mm) to the thickness of the iPad Pro, which I've used no problems with the MagicKeyboard Gen1.

So I'm almost 100% sure that the new 2021 12.9 iPad Pro can be used with the Gen 1 Magic Keyboard, as it is only 0.5mm thicker.

View attachment 1761896
This weighs 72.5 grams, which is more than the additional weight of the 5th gen iPad Pro 12.9. If this cover, which is both thicker and heavier than the difference between 4th and 5th gen, then it certainly seems like the old MKB will work just fine with the 5th gen.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Given that apple products are designed in the pipelines years in advnance, I find it shocking they didn’t account for the new iPad thickness in advance to releasing the original magic keyboard about a year ago. Just leaves a sour taste in our mouth for those that ponied up early on.
And a great flavour in apples mouth when it’s customers have to fork out for another keyboard, and another one when they refresh it again in 18 months with a tablet mode and function keys.

This is just blatant apple conning it’s customers, this is the reason why after using the magic keyboard and seeing how poor the material was that a Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad fit my needs far better and no compatibility issues going forward.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
This weighs 72.5 grams, which is more than the additional weight of the 5th gen iPad Pro 12.9. If this cover, which is both thicker and heavier than the difference between 4th and 5th gen, then it certainly seems like the old MKB will work just fine with the 5th gen.
That’s what makes no sense. .5mm and about 52 grams...really??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.