Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I just picked up an iPad Pro 11" (M2), with my use case being web surfing, reddit, facebook, along with some video editing/creation in iMovie and LumaFusion and some very light photo editing in Affinity Photo.

I don't think I'll be doing a lot of typing on it, it is not something I use for work, and will never be taking it out of the house- so my thought was I'd pick up an ESR Folio case to use to stand it up on my lap for use on the couch and can use the magic keyboard from my iMac when I actually want to do much typing (posting on message boards, or writing emails) on the device- since of course I already have that keyboard, it's not an extra expense.

However I see that the Magic Keyboard case for this iPad is now on sale for $199 at several retailers, and it got me thinking- is this worth it at that price in my use case? It's still a lot of money, but I could see value in the way it holds the iPad and is somewhat adjustable for different viewing angles.... and having the keyboard and trackpad there all the time may be somewhat useful.

But the cheapskate in me knows I won't be typing a lot on it, and the $17 ESR folio case would let me stand it up on my lap really well for most use cases, and as noted 0 extra expense to use my iMac's keyboard when I do want to do some typing on it.

Have any others out there been in the same boat- and if so, did you end up buying the Magic Keyboard case? Or did you just stick with a folio case and the external magic keyboard (or other bluetooth keyboard)?

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I got a great deal secondhand one. I was on the fence having normally just used a Zugu case and a Logitech bt keyboard and mouse. Works but a bit awkward especially when traveling.

I type a bit, as I use it with my Mac mini mainly.

I have to say it’s really very good. For me it was 100% worth it in the end. It’s night and day for ease of use when compared with my old set up.

That’s said I got a pristine version for 120€, which was an absolute bargain. They’re approaching 429€ new here. No chance for that price.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I am not in the same boat as you do, because I carry my iPad around way more than iPhone these days. To me, iPad is truly the one that can actually get things done, not and will never be on iPhone with a few exception such as taking photos, making phone calls and send/receive SMS.

I originally also thought the Magic Keyboard folio was expensive, but after using it, I find it quite useful at helping controlling iPad in ways that would otherwise be slow via touch, or simply impossible by touch (cough, delete/edit comment on YouTube, cough). Offers some protection at the front and back, and generally built well enough to me. I have kept using it ever since and does not regret buying it at all.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I am not in the same boat as you do, because I carry my iPad around way more than iPhone these days. To me, iPad is truly the one that can actually get things done, not and will never be on iPhone with a few exception such as taking photos, making phone calls and send/receive SMS.

I originally also thought the Magic Keyboard folio was expensive, but after using it, I find it quite useful at helping controlling iPad in ways that would otherwise be slow via touch, or simply impossible by touch (cough, delete/edit comment on YouTube, cough). Offers some protection at the front and back, and generally built well enough to me. I have kept using it ever since and does not regret buying it at all.

Regardless of the ridiculous price (and this one is particularly ridiculous- I’m not bothered by apples high pricing generally - you do pay for what you receive normally - most of their products are a large cut above competitors in build quality and inbuilt ecosystem - but approaching 500€ for a keyboard/trackpad/case is absurd - you could buy a whole new iPad for the same), it’s an excellent product if you can get a bargain, or if you can afford it/don’t care.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Regardless of the ridiculous price (and this one is particularly ridiculous- I’m not bothered by apples high pricing generally - you do pay for what you receive normally - most of their products are a large cut above competitors in build quality and inbuilt ecosystem - but approaching 500€ for a keyboard/trackpad/case is absurd - you could buy a whole new iPad for the same), it’s an excellent product if you can get a bargain, or if you can afford it/don’t care.
Yeah, at the normal price for the Magic Keyboard- you could actually buy a 9th generation iPad brand new on sale and still have money left over. It is pretty ridiculous!

However, my curiosity is now piqued on this with the sale on this item, "only" $199 right now, which doesn't seem quite as horrible.

I will think on it for a bit longer.... as noted I have the magic keyboard that came with my iMac, and it does work on my lap just fine when the iPad is propped up (using a folio case or holding it up some other way), so I might be inclined to just save the $200 and use what I have.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I just picked up an iPad Pro 11" (M2), with my use case being web surfing, reddit, facebook, along with some video editing/creation in iMovie and LumaFusion and some very light photo editing in Affinity Photo.

I don't think I'll be doing a lot of typing on it, it is not something I use for work, and will never be taking it out of the house- so my thought was I'd pick up an ESR Folio case to use to stand it up on my lap for use on the couch and can use the magic keyboard from my iMac when I actually want to do much typing (posting on message boards, or writing emails) on the device- since of course I already have that keyboard, it's not an extra expense.

However I see that the Magic Keyboard case for this iPad is now on sale for $199 at several retailers, and it got me thinking- is this worth it at that price in my use case? It's still a lot of money, but I could see value in the way it holds the iPad and is somewhat adjustable for different viewing angles.... and having the keyboard and trackpad there all the time may be somewhat useful.

But the cheapskate in me knows I won't be typing a lot on it, and the $17 ESR folio case would let me stand it up on my lap really well for most use cases, and as noted 0 extra expense to use my iMac's keyboard when I do want to do some typing on it.

Have any others out there been in the same boat- and if so, did you end up buying the Magic Keyboard case? Or did you just stick with a folio case and the external magic keyboard (or other bluetooth keyboard)?
Can the Magic Keyboard switch devices easily? If you have to pair it each time, it will be a significant pain point that will make you not want to do it and you’ll probably end up just using the onscreen keyboard. There are BT keyboards that let you switch between devices with just a press of a button, but then you probably have to spend more money if you don’t have one. But also I find it awkward to rest the iPad on my lap and type on an external keyboard. It’s ok if it’s very occasional.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Can the Magic Keyboard switch devices easily? If you have to pair it each time, it will be a significant pain point that will make you not want to do it and you’ll probably end up just using the onscreen keyboard. There are BT keyboards that let you switch between devices with just a press of a button, but then you probably have to spend more money if you don’t have one. But also I find it awkward to rest the iPad on my lap and type on an external keyboard. It’s ok if it’s very occasional.
Yeah, good point. I've only used it a couple of times so far on an iPad- and it pairs easily with the iPad, but when I take it back to the iMac, I have to turn it off and back on, and once I had to plug it in with the lightning cable to get it to pair again. I'll need to test that out a bit more.

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
I would say no. I have an 11” iPP and if I were to get something it would be the folio keyboard (again). I’ve owned them both. The Magic Keyboard annoys me because my fingers ALWAYS hit the bottom of the iPad since it’s “floating”. I liked the folio keyboard more… but with both the keys were just too cramped anyway. The only way I’d ever get another attachable physical keyboard is if I got the 12.9 pro. Besides, the whole ethos of the iPad is less, not more. I’m typing this on the on screen keyboard quite happily.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I would say no. I have an 11” iPP and if I were to get something it would be the folio keyboard (again). I’ve owned them both. The Magic Keyboard annoys me because my fingers ALWAYS hit the bottom of the iPad since it’s “floating”. I liked the folio keyboard more… but with both the keys were just too cramped anyway. The only way I’d ever get another attachable physical keyboard is if I got the 12.9 pro. Besides, the whole ethos of the iPad is less, not more. I’m typing this on the on screen keyboard quite happily.
Thanks for sharing!
After more research I think I agree- the magic keyboard that I have for my iMac is quite a bit wider than the magic keyboard case for the iPad, and I don't think I would do well with that cramped of a keyboard..... so I think for my limited typing needs, I'll just use this one that I already have since it still works well on my lap.

Reactions: BB1970

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
I don’t want one. I actually like typing on the screen but I’m just doing forum/facebook/reddit stuff, I have a Magic Keyboard for my Mac that I could use if I had to type pages worth of stuff. I just have a generic $18 folio case with the magnetic cover and pencil slot.

Reactions: jm31828

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
You’ll be massively wasting your money given your requirements. But if you’ve got the itch that badly, just try it and buy from a place with a good return policy.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
You’ll be massively wasting your money given your requirements. But if you’ve got the itch that badly, just try it and buy from a place with a good return policy.
Thanks- I have decided not to buy it, I have just ordered the $18 ESR Folio case instead, and will use that to prop it up and will use the keyboard I have when I do need to type.

Thanks to all for the discussion!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
For me it is due to the trackpad. I don’t type documents on my iPad. I do occasionally edit documents or send emails but I mostly use it for typing on social media which is not what I’d call extensive typing. However, it’s the trackpad that really makes it worthwhile for me. I had the Smart Keyboard on my older iPad Pro 10.5. Whilst I do agree that the keyboard and design are better on the Magic Keyboard, the trackpad is a game changer for me. It makes navigating the iPad a much better experience for me.

Reactions: sparksd

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Thanks- I have decided not to buy it, I have just ordered the $18 ESR Folio case instead, and will use that to prop it up and will use the keyboard I have when I do need to type.

Thanks to all for the discussion!
Sounds like a good idea to me. Unless you want the iPad as a laptop replacement, the Magic Keyboard just never really made much sense to me.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
For me - absolutely not. Apart from costing a lot, it adds a significant weight & bulk to an iPad, the major advantage of which (for me) is its lightness and portability.

So I just use a Smart Folio with my Air 5 and all the typing happens on-screen, in three languages.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
For me - absolutely not. Apart from costing a lot, it adds a significant weight & bulk to an iPad, the major advantage of which (for me) is its lightness and portability.

So I just use a Smart Folio with my Air 5 and all the typing happens on-screen, in three languages.
The Smart Folio is a solid purchase. I've reverted to that too. The on screen keyboard is big. I've got a 12.9 iPad Pro and the on screen keyboard is almost full sized.

Reactions: one more

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
For me it is due to the trackpad. I don’t type documents on my iPad. I do occasionally edit documents or send emails but I mostly use it for typing on social media which is not what I’d call extensive typing. However, it’s the trackpad that really makes it worthwhile for me. I had the Smart Keyboard on my older iPad Pro 10.5. Whilst I do agree that the keyboard and design are better on the Magic Keyboard, the trackpad is a game changer for me. It makes navigating the iPad a much better experience for me.

I never liked trackpads until I started using the MKB with my M1 12.9. And as Rafterman says, it's a great dock.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
I never liked trackpads until I started using the MKB with my M1 12.9. And as Rafterman says, it's a great dock.
Yes the MKB is great as a dock, it gives you an extra usb c port. If you want a bigger track pad, the Logi combo touch is a great keyboard case to get. It really makes the iPad into a laptop and gives you the versatility to pop off the iPad and it will still have a protective case, but it does have a bigger footprint vs the MKB.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Glad you came to the conclusion that the Magic Keyboard case isn't for you.

I have one and I actually really like it and do use it. From what you describe though, you hardly use the keyboard with your iPad and getting this case will be wasteful.

The Magic Keyboard could use a redesign though, including being able to easily use the iPad in portrait mode and with keyboard folded away. With the Magic Keyboard, you can't "fold" the keyboard away so it's not getting in the way when you don't need it. The times when I need this feature most is when I use my iPad as an eBook (reading PDFs and EPUBs).

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yes the MKB is great as a dock, it gives you an extra usb c port. If you want a bigger track pad, the Logi combo touch is a great keyboard case to get. It really makes the iPad into a laptop and gives you the versatility to pop off the iPad and it will still have a protective case, but it does have a bigger footprint vs the MKB.

I have Logi but prefer the MKB. I like how the MKB slightly elevates the iPad and brings it closer over the keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.