Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The Magic Keyboard could use a redesign though, including being able to easily use the iPad in portrait mode and with keyboard folded away. With the Magic Keyboard, you can't "fold" the keyboard away so it's not getting in the way when you don't need it. The times when I need this feature most is when I use my iPad as an eBook (reading PDFs and EPUBs).
That can easily be remedied by taking the iPad off the Magic Keyboard.

I don’t think it needs a redesign, perhaps… some tweaks here and there. For instance, maybe adding an additional port… a MagSafe type port along with a data transfer USB-C port. It definitely need some dedicated keys similar to that Keyboard Folio they added for the 10.9” iPad.

With rumors of a new Magic Keyboard coming along aside the new iPad Pros early next year… I probably won’t buy the Magic Keyboard at launch, I’ll wait until I see some discounts (maybe buy it secondhand).

Reactions: LogicalApex

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012

I don’t think it needs a redesign, perhaps… some tweaks here and there. For instance, maybe adding an additional port… a MagSafe type port along with a data transfer USB-C port. It definitely need some dedicated keys similar to that Keyboard Folio they added for the 10.9” iPad.

With rumors of a new Magic Keyboard coming along aside the new iPad Pros early next year… I probably won’t buy the Magic Keyboard at launch, I’ll wait until I see some discounts (maybe buy it secondhand).

The problem I have with that approach is that my iPad is then unprotected which I really don’t like.

dockgaze

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2022
Add my vote here for “it’s all about the trackpad”. I bought the Magic Keyboard for the protection and text input . . . . but have now surprised myself with complete adaptation to using the iPad with almost entirely trackpad input. So much easier for me than reaching up and touching the screen constantly (small index finger movements for control, rather than raising my entire hand/arm etc). I did not anticipate this . . . . but will now never go back to the old way.

Reactions: sparksd

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Yes, that can be remedied that way but some of us have habits to keep our iPad pristine. When I take it off the Magic Keyboard, I place my iPad in another case that simply covers the back of the iPad and has a cover to cover the front. I don't like using the iPad without some form of protection. Yeah, some people might see this as anal. A re-design of the Magic Keyboard will help in this case, for me ;-)

You'll be surprised (or not) that when I take my Apple devices in for trade-in, the Apple staff often remark at how pristine a condition the device is after it's been used for so many years. Yup, definitely true. My devices look almost brand new. And it's not like I am taking extra care of the devices. It's just in my habit, so it's normal. My spouse is that way too ;-)

And tell you what: I sewed a little leather-like pad for each of our iPads (it's made out of vinyl that looks like leather) so that when we are using our iPad with Magic Keyboard, the entire device sits on this pad for protection. It definitely helps the bottom of the keyboard from scuffing up when we push the device around on the table. All of these pieces of equipment (pad, keyboard, iPad, etc.) all go neatly into a sleeve case for carrying ;-)

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Yes, that can be remedied that way but some of us have habits to keep our iPad pristine. When I take it off the Magic Keyboard, I place my iPad in another case that simply covers the back of the iPad and has a cover to cover the front. I don't like using the iPad without some form of protection. Yeah, some people might see this as anal. A re-design of the Magic Keyboard will help in this case, for me ;-)
I completely understand, but the idea that majority of Magic Keyboard users are clamoring for a Magic Keyboard to flip backwards is something I find difficult to believe.

My top wishes for the upcoming Magic Keyboard:

1.) More ports (specifically a data transfer port)
2.) dedicated keys
3.) slightly larger trackpad

And tell you what: I sewed a little leather-like pad for each of our iPads (it's made out of vinyl that looks like leather) so that when we are using our iPad with Magic Keyboard, the entire device sits on this pad for protection. It definitely helps the bottom of the keyboard from scuffing up when we push the device around on the table. All of these pieces of equipment (pad, keyboard, iPad, etc.) all go neatly into a sleeve case for carrying ;-)
Yeah, I thought about getting a dBrand skin for my Magic Keyboard. But I don't know, I never commit to it.

I used to have a sleeve case for carrying around my iPad and Magic Keyboard, now... I use a mini backpack.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I completely understand, but the idea that majority of Magic Keyboard users are clamoring for a Magic Keyboard to flip backwards is something I find difficult to believe.
Oh, I'm not making any claims that the majority of Magic Keyboard users want any change. I'm just saying what I would like to see. Also, the solution may not necessarily be "flip backwards". I'm not doing any design thinking for Apple here. I'm just saying what I would like to see and describe my "problem"; they could come up with more creative solutions than "flip backwards". There are many ways to design a solution, but I'm not putting on that thinking hat; I don't necessarily have those skills ;-)

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Yeah, I thought about getting a dBrand skin for my Magic Keyboard. But I don't know, I never commit to it.

I used to have a sleeve case for carrying around my iPad and Magic Keyboard, now... I use a mini backpack.
Yeah, didn't know they made dBrand skins for Magic Keyboard. I'm not sure we like that solution either, but good to know it's there.

We even have felt sleeves that we sewed for our Apple Pencils which we use to slide them in when they're not being used ;-)

Many of these types of accessories I design and create on my own: Pencil sleeve, surface pad. I've also sewed my own AirPod Pro case and iPhone sleeve.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

My top wishes for the upcoming Magic Keyboard:

1.) More ports (specifically a data transfer port)
2.) dedicated keys
3.) slightly larger trackpad

To add dedicated keys and a larger trackpad, the current overhang approach would have to be abandoned as greater real estate is needed on the keyboard. The iPad would have to be set back, as with the Logi, and would also likely need a kickstand like the Logi to maintain balance. A data transfer port on the end opposite the charge port would be nice to have.

Reactions: Student of Life

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
To add dedicated keys and a larger trackpad, the current overhang approach would have to be abandoned as greater real estate is needed on the keyboard. The iPad would have to be set back, as with the Logi, and would also likely need a kickstand like the Logi to maintain balance. A data transfer port on the end opposite the charge port would be nice to have.
Yeah, that’s a good observation.

I’m trying to debate which I would rather have… current overhang design OR dedicated keys & larger trackpad. That’s a tough call.

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
Yeah, that’s a good observation.

I’m trying to debate which I would rather have… current overhang design OR dedicated keys & larger trackpad. That’s a tough call.
I think it depends on which iPad you have. For the 12.9 iPad Pro I love the MKB, it's just perfect. For my 10.9 air I feel the Logi combo keyboard is best because I can lift the iPad and it will still keep a case while the keyboard just detaches. I won't lie, I do occasionally look for a MKB for the air but won't pull the trigger unless it's a great deal since a redesign is around the corner for the new OLED iPad pros.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I think it depends on which iPad you have. For the 12.9 iPad Pro I love the MKB, it's just perfect. For my 10.9 air I feel the Logi combo keyboard is best because I can lift the iPad and it will still keep a case while the keyboard just detaches. I won't lie, I do occasionally look for a MKB for the air but won't pull the trigger unless it's a great deal since a redesign is around the corner for the new OLED iPad pros.
I’m looking at it terms of the upcoming redesign… since @sparksd brought up asking for a larger trackpad and dedicated keys would result in removing the current overhang design.

Because I have the 12.9“ iPP and I enjoy the current design of the Magic Keyboard (practically my favorite accessory for the iPad), but I want some tweaks to it. If Apple added a data transfer port to it… I think that would be enough for me tbh.

EtherealMAC

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2011
The answer whether the current Magic Keyboard is worth it or not NOW is moot because of the new Magic Keyboards that are coming around the corner next March 2024. The reason is twofold:

1 - If the new Magic Keyboards come at the same price of the current ones ( I doubt it but u never know) then depending on the enhancements of the new ones, they might be worth waiting for over the old ones.

2- Even if they are more expensive than the current ones and Apple keeps the current ones in the lineup in order to meet customer
regarding the current price point (or maybe they will keep the current one but knock of the price as they are not the "premium" option anymore ), you still rather wait till March to decide whether the new current ones are still worth it then.

However, if you really want a Keyboard NOW, and do not want to wait till March, then , if you aren't going to be typing a lot and most of the t8'e you will use the IPP keyboard less, then Logitech Combo Touch is by far a way better value than the Magic Keyboard. U see , the main problem (for me at least) of the Magic Keyboard is that it doesn't really protect your expensive iPP. When its on it, the MK is quite frail if u drop it and the iPP can fly out of it if u drop ot while its open. If you are using it Keyboardless then the iPad is "going commando". There are of course some iPP cases that blend beautifully with the iPP in conjunction with the MK ( like the Pitaka MagEZ Case 2 , for example) but all of these cases, since they are designed to work with the MK, leave one side of the iPP unprotected in case of a fall.

The Logitech Combo Touch fixes all of the above problems (with a couple of tradeoffs, watch reviews for it) but regardless offer way more value for those who want to be keyboardless most of the time but also have some protection. Also it's cheaper, and the typing experience is comparable to that of the MK.

FYI: I would know as I frequently use BOTH, the Logitech Combo Touch and the Apple MK. The 12.9 IPP iPad at work has the MK, and my own home 12.9 IPP has the Logitech. ... the Logi takes the cake in most usage scenarios. The only time the MK goes ahead is if you want to type while putting in your lap, and if you want to charge while using the thunderbolt port 4 for something else (which is a non issue if u have a dongle, which you probably should anyway for most serious iPP usage)

Just my 0.02

• Love

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
I’m looking at it terms of the upcoming redesign… since @sparksd brought up asking for a larger trackpad and dedicated keys would result in removing the current overhang design.

Because I have the 12.9“ iPP and I enjoy the current design of the Magic Keyboard (practically my favorite accessory for the iPad), but I want some tweaks to it. If Apple added a data transfer port to it… I think that would be enough for me tbh.
Assuming the MKB 2.0 keeps basically the same shape and size, I wouldn't mind another Usb-C port on the right side of the MKB which would give us a total of 3 Usb-C ports.

Reactions: sparksd and Ludatyk

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
My ideal use case (assuming money wasn't an issue) would be to have both the magic and Smart Keyboard. The Magic Keyboard would be permanently stationed at my desk, with the charging cable connected to its charging port. So when I am at my desk, my iPad is attached to the magic keyboard, where it's automatically charging, and I have a keyboard ready to type whenever the need arises.

When I am away, I would either be using my Smart Keyboard (it's thin, light, folds back on itself, and still lets me type when desired).

And the use of magnets makes the cases extremely easy to attach and detach, so it's not cumbersome at all.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
The problem I have with that approach is that my iPad is then unprotected which I really don’t like.
I have the Magic Keyboard and the Smart Folio for my iPad Pro. When I pull it off the keyboard I plop it on the folio. Works really well and takes seconds to swap.

I also occasionally use it naked.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
The answer whether the current Magic Keyboard is worth it or not NOW is moot because of the new Magic Keyboards that are coming around the corner next March 2024. The reason is twofold:

The unknown is if the new keyboard will be compatible with existing iPads. The camera cutout makes that unlikely I think with a potential iPad redesign on the horizon.

But we shall see.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I have the Magic Keyboard and the Smart Folio for my iPad Pro. When I pull it off the keyboard I plop it on the folio. Works really well and takes seconds to swap.

I also occasionally use it naked.
That works, I just personally don't like rotating through multiple cases for an iPad. Too much thinking.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
My iPad is most a "in lap" use device and the auxiliary key board suck for this purpose. If your iPad is you main source of computing and you do a lot of typing, the keyboard might be of interest.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
My ideal use case (assuming money wasn't an issue) would be to have both the magic and Smart Keyboard.
This is doable even if money is an issue. I bought both of these (SKF - new, sealed, MKB - open box) on EBay for 1/2 of Apple’s retail price, essentially paying just the price of the MKB alone!

Reactions: Abazigal
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.