Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
If this was a real issue, it would receive widespread coverage because hundreds of millions of people lean on the Find My network everyday to get things done.

humpataa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2024
If this was a real issue, it would receive widespread coverage because hundreds of millions of people lean on the Find My network everyday to get things done.
I am back from another test: 3 hours hiking / walking in the woods ... having two original AirTags and two official clones with us. Two iPhones, the one that had the tags registered bluetooth turned off. Mine (bluetooth on) should have reported any location updates to the server. Nothing happened. Around 50 people passed us. Possible, but unlikely none carrying an iPhone? – status updates of the AirTags: none. Checked a few times on the way and afterwards at the parking lot. All showed "last seen" from when we have turned bluetooth off hours before (at home).

I know it sounds highly unlikely that iPhones and iPads don't participate actively in the Find My Network anymore since iOS17. But ... do you have a friend with an iPhone? An AirTag? Then I cordially invite you to test it yourself. Please do.

Reactions: Paul689567

Paul689567

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2024
This is happening to my tags as well. I live in a remote area and now that my wife updated her phone and iPad to IOS17 I noticed my tags don’t get any updates while I am gone.

Reactions: humpataa

humpataa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2024
All looks like the recent update 17.4.1 has finally fixed the issue! 👍
There's a parallel rollout for 16.7.7 which most likely comes with a fix as well.
Still waiting for technical details from Apple.

Reactions: Marl156

Marl156

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2024
All looks like the recent update 17.4.1 has finally fixed the issue! 👍
There's a parallel rollout for 16.7.7 which most likely comes with a fix as well.
Still waiting for technical details from Apple.
Yes, mine started working again a couple of hours after this update too!! Crazy it took so long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.