Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Honestly didn't even realize that macOS was still using Origin. I feel like that was shuttered a while ago on PC. Hey maybe that means EA sees a future in macOS games.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden

We are thrilled to share that over the next few weeks, the EA app will officially replace Origin as our primary Mac platform. A faster, more reliable, and more streamlined experience – it’s the best place for you to experience EA’s incredible games, services and content.

With the new streamlined design you will easily find the games and content you’re looking for and discover your new favorite games. With automatic game downloads and background updates you can ensure that your games are ready to play when you are.

Good news! Remains to see if they have anything more than The Sims 4 to offer.

Reactions: bousozoku

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Uncharted Waters Origin, a new game in the series is out for Apple Silicon. Free to play with In-App purchases.

• Sad
Reactions: diamond.g

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Uncharted Waters Origin, a new game in the series is out for Apple Silicon. Free to play with In-App purchases.

I'm not sure how I feel about the MTX in this game being more than just cosmetics. Especially if this is a MMO and has PVP.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Geneforge 2 - Infestation is out for Apple Silicon.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Stunt Paradise is out for Apple Silicon. Appears to be their first Mac release.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Square Enix drops support for Intel Macs but still will use Rosetta for Apple Silicon? Final Fantasy XIV Online: Dawntrail will be released July 2.

Skärmavbild 2024-03-29 kl. 17.54.14.png

Skärmavbild 2024-03-29 kl. 19.50.58.png

Last edited:

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Right, missed the text at the bottom. Very weird that it won't support Intel but still needs Rosetta and x86 code!

There's a difference between not supporting Intel-based Macs and completely rewriting the base code from x86 to ARM. The former could be due to the age of the Intel CPUs that were used in the Mac as well as graphics limitations.

Reactions: Homy

Nugat Trailers

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2021

A detailed overview of the Ares emulator going from OpenGL to Metal. Quite interesting to see, with some strengths and weaknesses being shown.

Reactions: bousozoku

goro123

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2020
Square Enix drops support for Intel Macs but still will use Rosetta for Apple Silicon? Final Fantasy XIV Online: Dawntrail will be released July 2.

View attachment 2363546
View attachment 2363584
Available space 140GB ? What ????
What happened to compression ? Must every audio be lossless and every texture 4k quality?
Or is that not a monopolistic strategy to fill the whole disk drive and prevent installation of competing games?
Or maybe we are downloading the whole photo library from an exhibitionist developer at Square Enix ?

Let's keep calm and appreciate how they keep the standard table for requirements when it could be summarised as :
  • Minimum : M1, M2, M3
  • Recommended : M1 Pro, M2 Pro, M3 Pro or above
  • And let's not forget : 140 GB of drive… OR MORE 😱

Reactions: Irishman and Homy

Moncler

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2024
Honestly didn't even realize that macOS was still using Origin. I feel like that was shuttered a while ago on PC. Hey maybe that means EA sees a future in macOS games.
looking at the quantity and quality of games you can play on origin or steam that any giant game maker is interested in making games for macOS.

goro123

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2020
I finally got my hands on a M3 Pro and tried playing Death Stranding. I was very surprised by:
  1. This game is visually incredible, and it runs very well. I think this probably has the best graphics on Mac.
  2. There are sooooo many cut scenes 😩 feels like 80% of the time I spent "playing" was actually watching cut scenes. I usually like those, but here it ends up being frustrating.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Available space 140GB ? What ????
What happened to compression ? Must every audio be lossless and every texture 4k quality?
Or is that not a monopolistic strategy to fill the whole disk drive and prevent installation of competing games?
Or maybe we are downloading the whole photo library from an exhibitionist developer at Square Enix ?

Let's keep calm and appreciate how they keep the standard table for requirements when it could be summarised as :
  • Minimum : M1, M2, M3
  • Recommended : M1 Pro, M2 Pro, M3 Pro or above
  • And let's not forget : 140 GB of drive… OR MORE 😱
Oh those assets are compressed, lol.

Reactions: Irishman

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
I finally got my hands on a M3 Pro and tried playing Death Stranding. I was very surprised by:
  1. This game is visually incredible, and it runs very well. I think this probably has the best graphics on Mac.
  2. There are sooooo many cut scenes 😩 feels like 80% of the time I spent "playing" was actually watching cut scenes. I usually like those, but here it ends up being frustrating.
Guess you don't normally play Hideo Kojima games? MGS4 has a cutscene longer than some literal movies. Kinda his thing at this point.

• Wow
Reactions: MRMSFC and goro123

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Good news! Remains to see if they have anything more than The Sims 4 to offer.
Yes, the last EA game I actually purchased for Mac was in 2009 for an early Intel MacBook with GeForce 6100 integrated graphics hardware. It was one of the Dragon Age games. Most of the current offerings aren't interesting to me, even less than Ubisoft is interesting. If they'd bring back Pinball Construction Set by Bill Budge, I'd be more interested.

Oh, my "platform upgrade is just days away."

Reactions: Homy

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Nugat Trailers: Are you sure? The Steam link you provided only shows a Windows compatibility.

The demo is only Windows compatible but if you scroll down or check out their bundle all their games are Mac compatible.

Last edited:
Reactions: goro123
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.