Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Worldwide? that survey includes people from only 9 countries. That’s not even close to worldwide. And it only includes people who have used contactless in some way. For people who have never used contactless at all, the vast majority, the survey was terminated when they said so.

Even so, if they did this survey before they'd still have some numbers to compare against. I just wish they had the full results available without being an NFC Forum member.

echopulse

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2021
Abilene, TX
Worldwide? that survey includes people from only 9 countries. That’s not even close to worldwide. And it only includes people who have used contactless in some way. For people who have never used contactless at all, the vast majority, the survey was terminated when they said so.
It might not be close to the number of countries in the world, but in terms of population, it represents 2.2 billion people, which would be about 25% of the world population. They didn't include Canada, which we know has a high acceptance rate of NFC payments. Also, you got your numbers wrong. only 18% of the total respondents had not used a smartphone or smart watch to make a contacless payment. The results didn't even include people who had made a contactless payment by tapping a card. I know people, including my mom, who taps her card, but does not use her phone.

So, my statement that contactless payment usage and acceptance is increasing, is indeed correct.

Reactions: bousozoku

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
It might not be close to the number of countries in the world, but in terms of population, it represents 2.2 billion people, which would be about 25% of the world population. They didn't include Canada, which we know has a high acceptance rate of NFC payments. Also, you got your numbers wrong. only 18% of the total respondents had not used a smartphone or smart watch to make a contacless payment. The results didn't even include people who had made a contactless payment by tapping a card. I know people, including my mom, who taps her card, but does not use her phone.

So, my statement that contactless payment usage and acceptance is increasing, is indeed correct.

What numbers? I gave no numbers. I only said that people who have never used contactless at all, neither with a card nor with a smartphone or watch (i.e pay via chip or just use cash), are the overwhelming majority of the population and such people were not included in the survey results.

echopulse

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2021
Abilene, TX
You said 82% of the respondents didn't get to finish the survey because they hadn't used contactless payment on a smartphone or smartwatch. It was 82% who DID, and 18% that did not, and 18% is not a majority at all, not even close.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Personally I go by Visa's numbers. For example, here's what they wrote in their Q4 2023 earnings call. (In short, contactless is ~40% of card transactions in the US.)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 6.25.18 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 6.25.18 PM.png
    184.3 KB · Views: 19

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
You said 82% of the respondents didn't get to finish the survey because they hadn't used contactless payment on a smartphone or smartwatch. It was 82% who DID, and 18% that did not, and 18% is not a majority at all, not even close.

No, that wasn’t me.

garyjones027

macrumors member
May 4, 2023
Personally I go by Visa's numbers. For example, here's what they wrote in their Q4 2023 earnings call. (In short, contactless is ~40% of card transactions in the US.)

There are still USA merchants who refuse to accept contactless payments.

I was wondering what percent of USA merchants accept contactless payment in 2024.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA

I was wondering what percent of USA merchants accept contactless payment in 2024.
For me, it's really just Home Depot and Walmart that don't at this point out of the majors. And the latter I don't even go to that much. YMMV of course.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017

which backs up my statement: the majority haven’t used contactless at all, neither with a smartphone or smartwatch nor with their card, just chip or even cash.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
For me, it's really just Home Depot and Walmart that don't at this point out of the majors. And the latter I don't even go to that much. YMMV of course.
Well if you count businesses that are not stores but still take cards such as restaurants, hotels, car rentals, doctor offices, storage facilities, utility companies, etc the percentage could drop significantly.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Well if you count businesses that are not stores but still take cards such as restaurants, hotels, car rentals, doctor offices, storage facilities, utility companies, etc the percentage could drop significantly.
FWIW I am seeing pay at the table at restaurants more, albeit not nearly as quickly as it should be. And the doctor's offices that I've been in seem to all be supporting NFC now, too. Much of the rest is done online so they're just going to use the card on file anyway.

which backs up my statement: the majority haven’t used contactless at all, neither with a smartphone or smartwatch nor with their card, just chip or even cash.
The majority of people can still be using contactless but not for every transaction, which makes sense if there are still places that refuse it for whatever reason.

echopulse

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2021
Abilene, TX

It's at least 90+%. I would guess about 92%. The only top 100 retail chains that don't accept it are Walmart/Sams, Home Depot, HEB, Winco Foods, and Hobby Lobby. There are a few smaller chains that don't have it like Graybar, Paper Source, Fleet Farm, & Guitar Center. Those are the only chains with more than 100 stores that don't have it.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
It's at least 90+%. I would guess about 92%. The only top 100 retail chains that don't accept it are Walmart/Sams, Home Depot, HEB, Winco Foods, and Hobby Lobby. There are a few smaller chains that don't have it like Graybar, Paper Source, Fleet Farm, & Guitar Center. Those are the only chains with more than 100 stores that don't have it.

Again, that depends on how you define ‘merchants’. If it’s only stores then yes, but if it includes other businesses I’m sure the percentage is lower.

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
A few of the Allsups stations around here are starting to take contactless at the pump.
Ah yes, Yesway bought out that chain. Speaking of contactless at the pump some 7-Eleven + Phillips 66 stations have Flex Pay IV with contactless readers but not sure if enabled or not. Inside they replaced the MX915s with Lane/7000s at least though and some have that weird 7-Eleven pinpad.

michaelsmith0027

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2023
Honestly, I expected cash usage to be higher given the high unbanked rate (for a "developed" country, anyway) and the well-known dislike of Visa and MC among the merchant population.

There are now local banks in the USA that provide free services for Americans with low income.

echopulse

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2021
Abilene, TX
No, that wasn’t me.
Yes, it was.

Here you said it again.

We aren't using Visa's numbers. We are reading a report, that said 82% of respondents had used contactless, and 18% did not. You reversed the numbers and are causing people to think that the vast majority had not used contactless when the report said the exact opposite.

I don't know why you are anti contactless, but you are.

garyjones027

macrumors member
May 4, 2023
Yes, it was.

Here you said it again.

We aren't using Visa's numbers. We are reading a report, that said 82% of respondents had used contactless, and 18% did not. You reversed the numbers and are causing people to think that the vast majority had not used contactless when the report said the exact opposite.

I don't know why you are anti contactless, but you are.

I think that these people in the USA use the contactless feature of their physical debit cards or physical credit cards more than the contactless features of their mobile phones or watches.

Last edited:

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017

That’s not what the report said. The report ONLY INCLUDED PEOPLE WHO HAD USED CONTACTLESS IN SOME FORM: 82% of those who did use contactless did it with a physical card and the remaining 18% of those who used contactless did it with mobile wallets. The report does NOT include the number of people who had never, ever used contactless at all due to using only chip or cash, whose survey ended when they said they had only used chip or cash but not contactless. And those people not included in the report are the majority of the population.

And I’m not anti-contactless, I use apple pay all the time. I just don’t see as much progress as I’d like to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.