Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Over the weekend, I clean-installed a MacOS for the first time in at least 15 years. My late-2013 iMac is now running Mojave.

That's great, but only the beginning. I also clean-installed Microsoft Office 365, which was also giving me problems.

Mojave installed, Office installed. Great! Now here's the challenge: I want to make a stack in Mojave's Dock for all of my Office applications in one place. That way, if I want to launch Word or Excel, etc., they are right there in the Dock, together in a stack.

Problem: I tried making a folder and putting it in my Finder Sidebar, then putting the sidebar item into the Dock. While there is a stack there, there are problems. (1: Whenever I access the stack to launch an Office program, the program appears separately in the Dock and stays there after I quit the program, which defeats the purpose of creating a stack in the first place. (2: the stack icon appears only next to the Trash icon in the Dock, and I cannot move it anywhere else.

Am I doing something wrong? What should I do?

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I'm using Monterey, but maybe this will help. Instead of messing with the Finder sidebar, I simply made a folder in my Macintosh HD/Applications folder and moved Word, Excel, and PowerPoint into that folder. I then moved that folder to the dock (and yes, it can only go on the right side where the trash is). That worked for me and the apps don't appear individually over on the left side of the dock when I close them.

Reactions: Wingsley

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Guess what? I tried that and it still makes individual app icons appear in the Dock and stay there after I quit them.

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
Guess what? I tried that and it still makes individual app icons appear in the Dock and stay there after I quit them.
Go into your Dock & Menu Bar settings and turn off "Show recent applications in Dock".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.