Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cointreau

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Now that the iPod Touch is Jailbroken, is there any way to change the background from the basic black to a custom image, WITHOUT installing Summerboard? I ask because I already installed Summerboard once (the alpha version, manually, from the website) and it kept causing my applications to randomly crash. I restored the iPod, re-installed everything except Summerboard and have been working fine since.

But now, I just want to put a custom image on the background. Not change icons or anything like that...

Is there a way to do this and if so, can someone point me in the right direction? None of the posts on the forum that i have found have given an explanation. Maybe I am using the wrong search terms.

Thank you in advance!

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
let me know if customize works. I uninstalled it because it didnt actually DO much of anything. It was written for the iphone before the update. If this is possible, I will uninstall summerboard as well... this is the only thing that is keeping me with sb...

so let me know if customize works :)
Thanks

Cointreau

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Thank you for the reply!
I actually have already installed Customize, thinking that would allow background changes.
It does not seem to... or if it does, I don't know where to do that. I've been able to change my sliders around but not the actual background.

thank you for the link though, as now I'll be able to follow the progression of the software!

Any other thoughts, anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
thats sad...

I wish there was a simple app that does that because trip1pogo and summerboard hate eachother. Its like North Korea and South Korea live on my ipod!

Arisian

solyd

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
thats sad...

I wish there was a simple app that does that because trip1pogo and summerboard hate eachother. Its like North Korea and South Korea live on my ipod!

Arisian

SummerBoard by itself is just buggy.

It'd be nice if we can customize the background (dimmed) and have "Skip the Last Row" option manually. Someone's got to know how...

adamsweeting

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
Hear, hear guys...

SB is buggy as hell. I have to say that leaving pogo off has made it a lot better - but still get the odd crash. Nowhere near as bad as when I had both pogo and SB installed.

Like Arisian the only reason I'm stiicking with SB is coz of the wallpaper.

There must be a way!

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
so in your guys experience, which is less buggy, trip1pogo or summerboard...

I can uninstalls summerboard but not trip1pogo unless I do a restore

it would be nice to know where the crap summerboard is reading/moving the background too so I could just change that file and move them in and out...

does anyone know?
Arisian

adamsweeting

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
Is SummerBoard written by Nullriver?

If so, we should drop them a mail - and ask them where to put the files?

solyd

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
so in your guys experience, which is less buggy, trip1pogo or summerboard...

I can uninstalls summerboard but not trip1pogo unless I do a restore

Thoughts,
Arisian

Trip1Pogo is a LOT less buggy. I have Trip1Pogo right now without SummerBoard and I have NO crashes, none whatsoever. I'm leaving SummerBoard off until a more stable release; I hated the fact that it made my iPod crash every time I try to listen to music or run an application. It always happened at the most inopportune time too.

Someone should definitely send an e-mail to Nullriver and the PXL Development Team. Or maybe even ask around on the iPhone/iPod Touch dev IRC channel.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
Is SummerBoard written by Nullriver?

If so, we should drop them a mail - and ask them where to put the files?

SummerBoard is working fine for me... If you want to know where to put the files then go on YouTube and search for "iPod Touch SummerBoard", should come up with a few video tutorials.

solyd

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
SummerBoard is working fine for me... If you want to know where to put the files then go on YouTube and search for "iPod Touch SummerBoard", should come up with a few video tutorials.

We're not talking about the files you have in mind. We're talking about what files SummerBoard modifies to change the background on the home screen.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
They will come with the app itself. If you dont mind setting a few things up again and you have Windows then restore your iPod and use touchFree to jailbreak, it installs SummerBoard automaticly and thats what I used and its working fine, not a single crash (well mabee in Safari, but nothing outside the normal).

solyd

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
They will come with the app itself. If you dont mind setting a few things up again and you have Windows then restore your iPod and use touchFree to jailbreak, it installs SummerBoard automaticly and thats what I used and its working fine, not a single crash (well mabee in Safari, but nothing outside the normal).

Yes...we know the features come with SummerBoard. We're trying to manually change the background without SummerBoard as it is very buggy on our iPods and cause a lot of constant crashes. Please read the rest of this thread, seems obvious that you didn't.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
Yes...we know the features come with SummerBoard. We're trying to manually change the background without SummerBoard as it is very buggy on our iPods and cause a lot of constant crashes. Please read the rest of this thread, seems obvious that you didn't.

Im just saying that the way I installed SummerBoard on my iPod has resulted in no bugs, so it may work better for your iPods too. If you want a replacement for SummerBoard to use for changing the background then look around the Installer.app, im sure there will be one somewhere.

Cointreau

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
PowerFullMac- I also installed Summerboard, more than likely the way you installed it, based on the video tutorials et al...

I still randomly crashed. Because SB is an alpha release for the 1.1.1, it is probably a bit buggy still. Not complaining, I just am not going to put something on my machine that crashes the applications randomly.

So instead, I'm looking for a way to just replace the black background with an image of my choosing. Hopefully simple to do, yet no one but the application developers of SB have figured out where to do that.

If I have time to drop Nullriver an email, I'll ask about that, but I was hoping there was an easy way to do it, just by replacing an image or something...

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
post, i think i can find it somewhere.... What Im going to do is rename my background in my themes folder then dump my ipod contents and search for it

it will tonight though

arisian

bwanac

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2006
Here is how I do it:

-Make my custom background image... 320x480 .png file
-name it whatever you want
-then ssh into your ipod
-upload the file to the folder Library>Wallpaper

Done and done.

Ps. you an also add thumbnail versions... but i dont do that as i have delted all the other wallpapers and only have my one.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
Here is how I do it:

-then ssh into your ipod

Done and done.

Ps. you an also add thumbnail versions... but i dont do that as i have delted all the other wallpapers and only have my one.

do you have summerboard installed?

Thanks for your reply
Arisian

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
that will be interesting since they know you are trying to now not use their software to acheive a similar result! :-D

cool, thanks for doing that

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
Here is how I do it:

-then ssh into your ipod

Done and done.

thats a correct answer to the wrong question since those are for the main page when the ipod is locked and not the menu page...

hmmm

adamsweeting

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
that will be interesting since they know you are trying to now not use their software to acheive a similar result! :-D

cool, thanks for doing that

Yeah... This is very true. But I figured since it's not a program they charge for, it was worth a shot!

As my Mum always says... "if you don't ask, you don't get"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.