Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
He may need to replace any bridges in the path of the GPU with an SSDT so whatevergreen can perform the hooks. Anything greater than RX-580 has a borked device path in this respect and that is why the boot arguments work, but device properties don't.
I tried with Mojave booted natively and the two movies in question will open and play for a second or two then stop with a black screen.

Would I still have HDCP issues in a natively booted Mojave? Is there anything I can look for in iORegistryExplorer to identify issues?

Appreciate all the help as I'm feeling my way here.

Regards,
sfalatko

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Is there anything I can look for in iORegistryExplorer to identify issues?

Utilizing AI to understand what an SSDT does

Getting a copy of your DSDT

Last edited:

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016

Utilizing AI to understand what an SSDT does

Getting a copy of your DSDT
@startergo,

Thanks for the pointers. Some more questions as I learn -

The path to my GFX0 is show as 1002:687f /PCI0@0/IOU0@3/PXS1@0/pci-bridge@0/GFX0@0 with gfxutil. Am I correct is thinking this would be PCI0.IOU0.PXS1? And is pci-bridge@0 BRG0?

Also, reading the info at "Unsupported-6900XT-Hackintosh-Fix" it says to check your work and see if graphics acceleration is working after injecting the SSDT. According to VideoProc my graphics acceleration is working without the SSDT. Does that mean I don't need to inject the SSDT?

Appreciate the help.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
You may want to use boot arguments for troubleshooting. Remove the device properties (for now) and add

Code:
<key>boot-args</key>
<string>wegtree=1 unfairgva=1</string>

You could also try adding shikigva=80 (though that should really only apply to Mojave and Catalina).
@cdf - quick question why is the boot arg wegtree=1 when in post 1 DeviceProperties "rebuild-device-tree" is set to 0?

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
@startergo,

Thanks for the pointers. Some more questions as I learn -

The path to my GFX0 is show as 1002:687f /PCI0@0/IOU0@3/PXS1@0/pci-bridge@0/GFX0@0 with gfxutil. Am I correct is thinking this would be PCI0.IOU0.PXS1? And is pci-bridge@0 BRG0?

Also, reading the info at "Unsupported-6900XT-Hackintosh-Fix" it says to check your work and see if graphics acceleration is working after injecting the SSDT. According to VideoProc my graphics acceleration is working without the SSDT. Does that mean I don't need to inject the SSDT?

Appreciate the help.
DRM management is separate from the device acceleration. Yes BRG0 in your case should replace the pci-bridge device.
I would recommend using the SSDTTime for automatic SSDT creation and the complementing config file changes.

Reactions: sfalatko

Gustav Holdoff

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2020
I should probably try it too.
on the weekend or when I have more time to study the documentation
Recently, when working in Archicad in MacOS, furniture models suddenly began to disappear in my 3D window,
in a simulated large scene with a street landscape and small interior items, when adding another object, objects placed earlier may randomly disappear
I have to exit the program and load it again. I suspect that this is a mishandling of Archicad and my MacPro, because Archicad doesn’t know that I’m misleading MacOS and thinks that I have MacPro 7.1 with avx, and of course it doesn’t realize that I’m working on an outdated processor.
The only thing I'm afraid of is that I'll be able to boot into Windows and work fully using the resources of Radeon Pro W6800 without any problems with ssdt?
As a non-advanced user, I’ve already had some stumbles with ssdt (startergo probably remembers my unsuccessful attempts with the Radeon Pro W5700)
By the way, after the last update of MacOS and Parallels - in Windows via Parallels I also began to notice freezes - sometimes I have to forcefully turn off programs - which was not the case before
Programs took a very long time to load. (for macos there is syspolycid daemon which, after the last update, began to check programs for a long time before starting, in my case, I first wait until this daemon is running, and only then does Archicad start - a few days ago I had to wait about two minutes from starting the program to starting work)
In general, irritating factors began to appear
in short, it's probably time to take a deeper look at individual settings
otherwise I was already starting to think about switching to 7.1 or radically- about buying a new mac on arm

Last edited:

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
DRM management is separate from the device acceleration. Yes BRG0 in your case should replace the pci-bridge device.
I would recommend using the SSDTTime for automatic SSDT creation and the complementing config file changes.
@startergo,

Making progress. I started with a manually generated SSDT for BRG0 (I like figuring it out) and I'm still having the same issue with those two movies but I did test OCLP which hasn't been able to find my GFX0 Device when I tested it previously. After injecting the SSDT it now finds it and generates the DeviceProperties for it.

It does suggest rebuild-device-tree to be set to 1 which is not what @cdf has in the first post (he has it set to 0). I may try that as well as unfairgva=3 and see if I get any farther with those two movies.

regards,
sfalatko

Reactions: startergo

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
@cdf - quick question why is the boot arg wegtree=1 when in post 1 DeviceProperties "rebuild-device-tree" is set to 0?
For device properties, it’s just the presence of the property that matters; the value can be anything. The convention Apple uses (for the built-in property for instance) is to use 0. Thus, 0 is the recommended value here.

Reactions: sfalatko

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
For device properties, it’s just the presence of the property that matters; the value can be anything. The convention Apple uses (for the built-in property for instance) is to use 0. Thus, 0 is the recommended value here.
Thanks. I've tried both ways - neither "fixes" my issues with those two movies.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
In my continued probing I used the SSDT with my OCLP built config.plist in Sonoma and no purchased movies play - the movie window opens and then after a few seconds it closes. I could also not play any free TV+ episodes which I can do on Monterey. So Sonoma is much worse from a DRM perspective on my machine - which is where I first noticed the issue.

I also tried an iMac Pro board id in place of the 2019 Mac Pro board id in Monterey (with my manually built config.plist) and there was no difference. Everything is fine except for those two movies.

regards,
sfalatko

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
I also tried Catalina booting without OC. None of the movies would play and I could not play the free episodes on TV+.

I'm surprised that DRM seems to be an issue with Catalina without OC. I am wondering if my used Vega 56 needs the VBIOS flashed. Would that impact DRM if it had a mining VBIOS?

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I also tried Catalina booting without OC. None of the movies would play and I could not play the free episodes on TV+.

I'm surprised that DRM seems to be an issue with Catalina without OC. I am wondering if my used Vega 56 needs the VBIOS flashed. Would that impact DRM if it had a mining VBIOS?
Do you have the option to test another Monitor / TV? Maybe there is a problem with the hdcp protocols of the actual connected one.

Reactions: cdf

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Do you have the option to test another Monitor / TV? Maybe there is a problem with the hdcp protocols of the actual connected one.
Not at present. I can make that happen soon.

However - my monitor is an Apple Cinema Display and I was not having issues with my RX580. I only noticed the issues when I tried OCLP/Sonoma. I will probably have to try my RX580 again and check everything.

I appreciate the ideas and things to check.

Regards,
sfalatko

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Wow, a bit overwhelmed by this thread. I have a Mac Pro 5,1 (12-core dual processor, 128 GB RAM) and want to run the latest possible macOS on it. I've done OpenCore with a couple of hackintoshes but not with a real Mac. So, what's the latest macOS that I can install on this machine? I have a Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 PCI-E graphics card in it, and from what I can tell there are USB1.1 issues with Macs this old. Before I jump in, does anyone have tips or suggestions? Thanks much in advance!

paalb

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2019
So, what's the latest macOS that I can install on this machine?
If you follow the instructions in the first thread here, you can go up to Monterey and get help in this thread. Sonoma or Ventura can work with OCLP or will not work for you depending on what kind of software you use and what kind of security you want. You will not get help with OCLP here. Search for “Unsupported Macs Thread”.

Check out this before you do anything to be aware of the dangers and what to do regarding your bootrom before you start.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macpro5-1-bootrom-thread-144-0-0-0-0.2132317/

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012

Actually, full hardware acceleration and DRM was problematic with updated hardware on the classic Mac Pro until WEG and OC.

I would certainly use the stock firmware for the card to rule out any issues.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
If you follow the instructions in the first thread here, you can go up to Monterey and get help in this thread. Sonoma or Ventura can work with OCLP or will not work for you depending on what kind of software you use and what kind of security you want. You will not get help with OCLP here. Search for “Unsupported Macs Thread”.

Check out this before you do anything to be aware of the dangers and what to do regarding your bootrom before you start.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macpro5-1-bootrom-thread-144-0-0-0-0.2132317/
Thanks much, I'll look into this more before proceeding. I recall doing a firmware update when I pulled the original graphics card for the RX580. Is this the bootrom issue you're referring to?

paalb

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2019
Thanks much, I'll look into this more before proceeding. I recall doing a firmware update when I pulled the original graphics card for the RX580. Is this the bootrom issue you're referring to?
It is part of it, but if you have done that already, the important thing is not to brick your MacPro 5,1. Read the first page of the link I gave you.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Actually, full hardware acceleration and DRM was problematic with updated hardware on the classic Mac Pro until WEG and OC.

I would certainly use the stock firmware for the card to rule out any issues.
@cdf - reflashed the card with vbios from Techpowerup. No change to DRM issues. I think I'll need to find the time to reinstall the RX580 and revisit the issues - especially with Sonoma - and see if it is GPU/VBIOS related or something else in my config.

Reactions: cdf

Elicho

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2024
Hi... I´m new to this forum.

I´m running succesfully Martin Lo´s open core 0.9.8 and Monterey on a Mac Pro 4,1>5,1. Since there are some issues with my system (f.e. fans running high after each system start for about 10-15 minutes), I´ve decided to do a clean install of Monterey to a new internal ssd.

I turned on the vmm flag, and turned off smbios spoofing in the config.plist before installing. After the OS installer restarts the mac to complete installation process, the status bar stucks after about a minute and the Mac restarts again. Everytime I select the OS Installer within the bootpicker, same happens again.
Does anyone know how to fix that or is there another procedure to get this done ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.