Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Gustav Holdoff

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2020
Just updated to 12.7.4
config for update changed using method 2
after the third reboot during the update procedure a bug popped up with watevergreen or with interaction with macOS drivers of my Radeon Pro W6800 - there is video in attachment
I interrupted the installation, reseted SMC and nvram.
after which MacPro booted normally into 12.7.4
Tomorrow I will work on the computer, I hope the system installed correctly

View attachment IMG_0565.MOV.zip

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
Hello i have this issue, it bothered some time now, maybe you can help easily;

now when i boot MP4,1/5,1 12-core, with M.Lo 0.95 OC package blessed/or not,
upon booting, the MacPro would eject tray of both DVD/Bluray Drives,
and not release them/put the them back into place.

most other issues have with OpenCore on this Computer are mostly solved, thank you very much.

Frixo Cool

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
Croatia
Is it safe to upgrade ?
Big problem at my side: the update itself went smooth as usual with the latest OCLP 1.4.1 but after update to 12.7.4 I lost all networking, both Ethernet and Airport. DHCP can't get IP address from router. I booted Windows - everything works fine, I booted Big Sur from another SSD - it works, even Monterey Recovery boot has Safari in safe mode that works, but Monterey - no go! :(

I did all the usual troubleshooting: deleted prefs, deleted and added services, SMC reset, PRAM reset, tried in another user, reinstalled OpenCore and root patches several times, reverted to OCLP 1.3.0, and even did Monterey reinstall from 12.7.4 USB. I checked all networking settings, there is no VPN, proxies, nothing. Nothing helps. Any idea?

What am I missing?

Last edited:

Frixo Cool

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
Croatia
You should ask this on a thread that people uses OCLP, no? Not here, where we don't use it…
Yes, sorry! However, if I can ask - it is valuable information if 12.7.4 works ok on manually-configured OC Mac Pro 5.1 in the network part? Because if it works, it means it's probably an OCLP problem after all - because now I've seen at least a dozen users have the same problem. Thank you very much!

Frixo Cool

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
Croatia
12.7.4 works as expected with manually configured OC, no networking problems.
Thanks a lot! It seems that it's a rather nasty OCLP bug. I used manually configured OC for a long time and then switched to OCLP for easy updates, but it seems there is very unpleasant downside too.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Not at present. I can make that happen soon.

However - my monitor is an Apple Cinema Display and I was not having issues with my RX580. I only noticed the issues when I tried OCLP/Sonoma. I will probably have to try my RX580 again and check everything.

I appreciate the ideas and things to check.

Regards,
sfalatko
Well I finally had the time and patience to try my RX 580 in place of my RX Vega 56.

I fixed up the config.plist with the device path for the RX 580 and redid the root patches and now all my purchased movies work in Sonoma so it would appear that something with the patched Vega drivers is causing issues with HDCP on my cMP5,1.

Reactions: cdf

TECK

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
To make matters worse, is not just the missing AVX 2.0 support, but some other modern x86 instuctions sets
We had a beautiful run, I’ll be upgrading to Studio M3 this summer. I got the Studio M2 last year but decided to refund it and wait another year to get the M3 instead, since we still had security updates on current cMP.

Reactions: cdf

TECK

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Big problem at my side: the update itself went smooth as usual with the latest OCLP 1.4.1 but after update to 12.7.4 I lost all networking, both Ethernet and Airport.
Nobody uses OCLP in this thread, please ask your questions into right place. Edit: sorry about the double post, I see the same mention was raised by @tsialex.

Elicho

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2024
I´ve built an OCLP Ventura installer on a Mojave start volume. So far everything is working well in Ventura. But I can't boot from Mojave... when I try, the forbidden icon appears. I have read many posts in this thread but things are not clear to me and I am afraid of destroying my system. What do you think would be the easiest way to reboot in Mojave in case there is a problem with the OCLP Ventura volume?

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I´ve built an OCLP Ventura installer on a Mojave start volume. So far everything is working well in Ventura. But I can't boot from Mojave... when I try, the forbidden icon appears. I have read many posts in this thread but things are not clear to me and I am afraid of destroying my system. What do you think would be the easiest way to reboot in Mojave in case there is a problem with the OCLP Ventura volume?
OCLP cannot boot Mojave, since it spoofs a newer version of Mac. You have to use option-boot to get Mojave.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
OCLP cannot boot Mojave, since it spoofs a newer version of Mac. You have to use option-boot to get Mojave.
it's off topic as it is OCLP. But anyway, if spoofing is set to none it makes a spoofless approach what can boot Mojave (using the virtualisation method) or configure -no_compat_check to the boot-args.

@Elicho: read the first post, this thread is not about OCLP

kkinto

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
Hi. I am having a strange issue. had about 3 kernel panics which seem related to NVMe controller. The drives on there didn't mount after Mac rebooted itself but when it was shut down for a few minutes and then switched on the PCIe drives mounted. Now the most visible issue is that there are 3 startup partitions on the NVMe's but none were present in the OC bootpicker. They do however appear in System Preference Startup Drive as options.

I recently switched to OC 099 - is there something I could have missed or not copied over which would produce this type of symptom. The config file was untouched but elements from the new OC package were copied over.

Any ideas?

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Hi. I am having a strange issue. had about 3 kernel panics which seem related to NVMe controller. The drives on there didn't mount after Mac rebooted itself but when it was shut down for a few minutes and then switched on the PCIe drives mounted. Now the most visible issue is that there are 3 startup partitions on the NVMe's but none were present in the OC bootpicker. They do however appear in System Preference Startup Drive as options.

I recently switched to OC 099 - is there something I could have missed or not copied over which would produce this type of symptom. The config file was untouched but elements from the new OC package were copied over.

Any ideas?
I would make sure they they are properly seated in the slot, then a deep NVRAM reset. Also someone mentioned something about different OS's on containers having issues.

Reactions: kkinto

kkinto

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
I would make sure they they are properly seated in the slot, then a deep NVRAM reset. Also someone mentioned something about different OS's on containers having issues.
Thanks. Yes I did that but the problem persisted. Both Display Ports showed the issue. I have since changed the cable to a HDMI (a bit too short but all I have right now) and I think that was the problem. I will get a new DP cable as soon as I can.

I am noticing that the card runs about 10° hotter using HDMI - is that normal? Given the choice is it preferable to use Display Port or HDMI in general?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.