Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
What? Less than 3 weeks away?
I don't think so...

Publishers will often release titles just before the end of the financial year for their spring catalogues. This means absolutely nothing in respect to Tiger's release date.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Do you really think that Tiger will be out soon?
Well, I sure hope so
Oh, I really, really hope so :)

But I don't think so :(

Now go listen to The Cardigans' 'Do You Believe?' ;)

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
If Peachpit actually knew when Tiger was coming out, I would be very surprised.

I doubt major software vendors like Adobe get access to Apple's release dates, let alone Peachpit.

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2004
How has Peachpit even managed to write a guide for an operating system that's still being tweeked? What if in the next developer release Apple pulls out some radically different approach to something they've written about, or unveils the revamped iCal to accompany it's new 2.0 numbering? Will they stop the press and change it?
And yeah, no I think June's the earliest we'll see Tiger now.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...have we not been through this a few times already in other threads? Besides, if it was coming out March 25 Apple would have the official announcement by now.....oh yeah!

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...have we not been through this a few times already in other threads? Besides, if it was coming out March 25 Apple would have the official announcement by now.....oh yeah!

They would have the announcement way before now - like in Feb. - if it were coming out this month.

Apple WILL have a release date announced before the WWDC or w/e Apple event is going on in June... and then Tiger will come out later that month.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
This only about the 4th thread on this book publication line of speculation. The answer is no. Tiger isn't even close to release (I get the developer seeds; it isn't ready).

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
MacSA said:
http://www.macosxrumors.com/article...int-possible-delay-in-mac-os-x-tiger-release/

macosxrumours are reporting a possible delay to the release of Tiger. :(

Nevertheless, it is believed that Steve Jobs is determined to release Tiger on time and would prefer to follow it up with a rapid succession of bugfixing/functionality updates instead of delaying it further until all issues have been resolved.

LOL.....no thanks.
Like macosxrumours every gets anything right? I can't even get the above link to load! WWDC or whatever ...

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Apple will once again put a countdown timer on their homepage so everyone knows when Tiger will come out. We are still at least 10 days away from knowing the shipping date of Tiger.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
MacSA said:
http://www.macosxrumors.com/article...int-possible-delay-in-mac-os-x-tiger-release/

macosxrumours are reporting a possible delay to the release of Tiger. :(

Nevertheless, it is believed that Steve Jobs is determined to release Tiger on time and would prefer to follow it up with a rapid succession of bugfixing/functionality updates instead of delaying it further until all issues have been resolved.

LOL.....no thanks.

God I hope this is not correct. The press loves to hammer Apple, and this would give them ammunition to do so.

Plus, the Mac is finally getting mindshare in the Windows crowd so sick of Microsoft's lack of quality and security. It would be better to take some egg on their face on the date then get egged for quality issues.

Given what I have seen and read, Tiger is not ready. But then again, Apple has 3 months to bug fix. I just hope the issues are not systemic.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
daveL said:
Like macosxrumours every gets anything right? I can't even get the above link to load! WWDC or whatever ...

Haven't read the website referenced, but I would rather Jobs and Apple say that they are not ready to release Tiger than to try and keep some "promise" of delivery date for Tiger.

The removal of Core Image video card specs is a telling example of some issues that Tiger is facing IMO.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
release tiger and release 10.4.1 a little later, it will be better for money reasons - apple is at the height of popularity

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Lacero said:
Apple will once again put a countdown timer on their homepage so everyone knows when Tiger will come out. We are still at least 10 days away from knowing the shipping date of Tiger.

How long before the release do they put up the timer :confused:

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Platform said:
How long before the release do they put up the timer :confused:
Duff-Man says...they will not put up a "timer" until they have officially announced a ship date. And depending on how many other "hot" items they are trying to promote at the time, the countdown may only be there for a week or two before the official ship date....oh yeah!

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...they will not put up a "timer" until they have officially announced a ship date. And depending on how many other "hot" items they are trying to promote at the time, the countdown may only be there for a week or two before the official ship date....oh yeah!

Thanks

So there will some sort of announcement for it.
Well hoping to see more updates before tiger comes tough... unless we have Tiger this week :p

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
8a393

I've had the opportunity to borrow a Powerbook 12 running 393 as primary os for a week... I've had it since Sunday, and I think its nearly ready. There are three major problems I've encountered:

First, Spotlight initial indexing is way to slow. Tiger was freshly installed on this machine late Saturday, and it's still doing indexing. Currently, it says 22 hours left, but it said 4 hours left on Sunday.
Second, Safari tends to crash on me. It just closes, i get the bug report window, and i restart Safari. Happens once an hour or so.
Third, it breaks WMP9. Could be a M$ issue, but it doesn't work on this build of Tiger.

Other than that, the system is pretty good. Dashboard is much better than Konfabulator, as long as you don't want any widgets appearing anywhere but the Dashboard/Konspose. Automator is good, but I havn't seen much use for it. Tiger mail is really nice... the new UI has grown on me.

Anyway, March 31 sounds reasonable for a release... I think they can work out the Spotlight/Safari issues in the 3 or 4 weeks between the 393 release and when it would have to be done for a release (albeit with limited boxed product available) on 3/31. Every other release of OS X had some majoy problems on their GM release... This would be no exception. But it could very well be to the quality of past releases very soon.

skythefly13

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
If anyone wants to do the math...

If anyone would like to do the math for me, He promised us in the 1H of 2005.

If anyone knows the exact middle date of the year, then Post it...

Also, Once you find the middle date of this year, then find whats halfway between that.

THERES YOUR RELEASE DATE! :)

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
skythefly13 said:
If anyone would like to do the math for me, He promised us in the 1H of 2005.

If anyone knows the exact middle date of the year, then Post it...

Also, Once you find the middle date of this year, then find whats halfway between that.

THERES YOUR RELEASE DATE! :)

That puts it about March 31st... off the top of my head

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Indexing

Indexing always takes a long time the first time you do it.

Spotlight is reading every word in every .doc .xls .txt .rtf .html (etc...) on the cpu. Of course it takes along time.

This is not a simple find file feature, it reads the text in almost every file on on the computer which is probaly over 20,000 on a clean install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.