Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It's not your sight being good then (more like it's less sensitive), cause you can't see the pixels lagging behind when turning off/on due to the scrolling.

I stopped using the Apollo reddit app due to the insane OLED smear going on in there. It's insufferable to me, that's why I was hoping for a darkish-grey dark mode similar to macOS instead (or at least the choice to pick between black and grey for dark mode).

I don't know why app makers are going with these pure black backgrounds. A very dark grey background looks better than solid black when reading light text on it.
[doublepost=1561044053][/doublepost]
It's not your sight being good then (more like it's less sensitive), cause you can't see the pixels lagging behind when turning off/on due to the scrolling.

I stopped using the Apollo reddit app due to the insane OLED smear going on in there. It's insufferable to me, that's why I was hoping for a darkish-grey dark mode similar to macOS instead (or at least the choice to pick between black and grey for dark mode).

Hey! I just looked, and in the Apollo settings at the bottom of the "Theme" category there's a switch for Pure Black Dark Mode. Switch it off and you should have a much better experience!

Reactions: sputnikBA

sputnikBA

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
OLED smearing is terrible on dark mode. Definitely visible anywhere you scroll with true-black and greys.

a dark mode that uses multiple dark greys instead of black & grey would be much better. Many apps get around the issue by doing this. Ironically Apple themselves also gets around the issue by doing it in Mojave...

Alex.jr

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
So that’s what it is! I was going crazy trying to figure out why scrolling through settings was different. I thought it was a new motion effect or something like that.
I posted this recently on another thread.

Good to know it’s an oled thing then.
Maybe apple fixes that in the future.

m.wttfld

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2019
Germany
OLED smearing is terrible on dark mode. Definitely visible anywhere you scroll with true-black and greys.

a dark mode that uses multiple dark greys instead of black & grey would be much better. Many apps get around the issue by doing this. Ironically Apple themselves also gets around the issue by doing it in Mojave...
I hope next year when they introduce Micro-LED it will go away.

But just FYI, no Mac has OLED right now, so that has nothing todo with the screen, completely black background just doesn't look good on bigger screen sizes/desktop UI.

sputnikBA

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
I hope next year when they introduce Micro-LED it will go away.

But just FYI, no Mac has OLED right now, so that has nothing todo with the screen, completely black background just doesn't look good on bigger screen sizes/desktop UI.
If the rumours are true, OLED is coming in the new upper tier MBP.

Micro-LED is the one that doesn’t seem like it will appear anywhere soon. If so it would most likely show up in the Watches first.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm not noticing this smearing. In fact scrolling through settings on my iPhone 11 Pro Max looks nicer than on my LCD-based iPhone 7 Plus in dark mode.

rafal886

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2018
Do you have blue/purple jumping line between separators when you scrolling? e.g in settings or in contacts

Last edited:

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
Never been a huge fan of Dark Mode but I gave it another try now and I really like it now when it's dark outside. That being said, the smearing is very noticeable on my iPhone X. I'm using an app called Apollo (a Reddit app). There there's also massive smearing in Dark Mode. But the developer added an option to "reduce smearing". It looks 99% the same color-wise but the smearing is 100% gone now in this app.

I really wish we get an option like this system-wide in iOS.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
You have to watch the video on an OLED device!

I see the grey box lagging behind the darker box around it. I'm on a laptop with LCD screen. Why am I seeing this if it's an OLED issue? Serious question.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
While OLED screens are affected by it by design, no matter how good they are, that doesn't mean that LCD screens cannot suffer from it. I guess lower quality ones can - and do.

S.a.j.id

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2020
Videos are unwatchable in darker/grayish scenes on my iphone xs due to black crush. I don’t know what to do...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.