Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Has anyone applied a matte screen protector to their new Mini 6 yet?

Looking for some real world feedback on the current offerings.

I have only used the ones from Celicious before on 4 variants of iPad Pro, but they haven’t yet released one for the Mini 6.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I got Moko ones but haven’t applied one yet. I just set up my Mini 6 last night and am trying it bare screened, but I use matte screen protectors on all my electronics so it’s just a matter of time. I can’t deal with the fingerprints that the bare screen shows, plus I will be using mine in a harsh environment (outside at our camp while running our trail cameras). I’m willing to sacrifice a little clarity for some protection.

Reactions: sracer and Yr Blues

Rugbydman

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
Hi
i too would like a screen protector and also need it too feel like paper
on my 12.9 I tried paper like original but wasn’t impressed. Changed for a Japanese one much better but very matte.

just seen this, what do you think? Can it really be glass and feel like paper?

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Hi
on my 12.9 I tried paper like original but wasn’t impressed. Changed for a Japanese one much better but very matte.

Not a fan of tempered glass adding thickness to the screen.

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Hi

I would be interested to know your thoughts of it, if you try it..

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
I just got a matte protector from Skinomi… I would *not* recommend it. My whole screen is now rainbow-y. It applied easily, without bubbles, and looks good with the screen off…

I have their Full Body skins for my handheld gaming devices. Those consoles came with other screen protectors so I never tried their screen coverage before. Oh well… I’ll use it until I can’t stand it.

Do all matte protectors have a rainbow effect? I know Paper Like shows images of theirs with “micro dots” or something, so as to not alter light path… maybe that is the key.

Last edited:

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Interesting… I’ve pre ordered the paper like one as ESR don’t appear to be releasing one any time soon (and that’s on my 12.9 IPP). Can’t seem to find the spider one on a UK store (they seem to just use Amazon).

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I haven’t seen every matte screen protecto, but all the ones I’ve used over the years have it to some degree. some are better than others. I use them on every electronic device I have.

scotsmandc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
Moko brand isn’t the greatest.. too paper like. Feels and sounds like scratching on a chalkboard. hope icarez come out with theirs soon. This whole hype with paper like feel sucks. Not everyone uses a pencil. I did order a glass matte screen protector to test. I didn’t even know these existed So I’m hoping it’s good.

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
Definitely would be curious how that one turns out. Not sure why I went matte— other than I expect to use this outdoors a lot (and leave the expensive MBP safely inside).

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
162A4107-E249-4259-90BC-B1CCF02D5E62.jpeg
FYI (if upload compression doesn’t ruin it), this is the effect I see with Skinomi on lighter colored screens. Luckily, I use dark mode mostly…

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I saw the same effect when I used a matte Ghost Armour on my old Samsung Note 9. Must be how all of these PPF-style matte films are.
When the Palm IIIc came out, the screen protectors for it were very different from those for monochrome PDAs. They were not interchangeable. I think the technology that makes screen protectors matte also makes for the rainbow dots. I’m used to it because I use matte protectors on everything and it’s a compromise I’m willing to make to reduce glare, fingerprints, and smudges. However, lots of people aren’t willing to do that, and I can understand it.

OneGrit

macrumors member
May 12, 2021
Richmond, British Columbia
When the Palm IIIc came out, the screen protectors for it were very different from those for monochrome PDAs. They were not interchangeable. I think the technology that makes screen protectors matte also makes for the rainbow dots. I’m used to it because I use matte protectors on everything and it’s a compromise I’m willing to make to reduce glare, fingerprints, and smudges. However, lots of people aren’t willing to do that, and I can understand it.
Yeah, I changed the matte Ghost Armour to a glossy one after a month and it was a night & day difference.

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
View attachment 1859062

I may be comparing apples with pears but this is my esr one on my IPP. The effect is still there but nowhere near as bad as the other photo?
Is this a matte or standard protector though? Looks way better than mine.

I bought this protector with cash back, so for all intents and purposes, it was free. I will ditch it if I can’t get “used to it”.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Is this a matte or standard protector though? Looks way better than mine.

I bought this protector with cash back, so for all intents and purposes, it was free. I will ditch it if I can’t get “used to it”.
Matte, it’s their ”paper feel’ one. I was really hoping they’d do a mini one, and perhaps they will, it’s just not here yet.

Reactions: mousouchop

scotsmandc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015

Amigaman

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Greenville, MI
I picked up the Bersem Paperfeel screen protector and I'm actually very happy with it. Went on easy, and no strange screen artifacts, etc. The blurry aspect of this image is me not knowing how to focus properly. ?

IMG_0547.jpeg

Reactions: mousouchop

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
Moshi visor are perfect . I've used them for years .Expensive but worth every penny .

scotsmandc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
The matte glass screen protector I’m using has been great. I’ve always wanted a glass screen for my iPad but needed the matte feature over glass. No finger prints and no glare at all. No grainy image either that I can tell or bother me.

Reactions: ibmacin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.