Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

szim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2024
Just wanted to share in the hope no one else has to waste so much time. It turns out it's one display per port on the mac. Not like with windows where you can use a hub and connect multiple display to the hub. If you do this with a mac you will just end up with an extended display that is mirrored on the two external monitors. See image below. Some hub manufactures actually say this but, it's an Apple issue as far as can figure out. Not hub supports 2x extended display on mac.

Belkin said they know M3 doesn't work but M2 did?

Apple not a clue.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 14.15.38.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 14.15.38.png
    456.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 14.15.58.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 14.15.58.png
    520.4 KB · Views: 34

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Welcome to the confusing world of display support on Macs!

The ports on Macs actually support two displays (depending on resolution), but you need a Thunderbolt dock to do that...not a USB-C hub. However, you can get two displays on a USB-C dock/hub if it supports DisplayLink. One of the displays would be a "virtual"/software-driven display, which can present some issues like artifacts in moving content, but it is generally fine for office type work.

Another thing different between Macs and Windows is that Macs don't support MST, which is the most common cause for a dock working fine with a PC but not a Mac (as in your example above).

If you're wanting to run two displays with a single cable, look for a Thunderbolt dock or a USB-C dock that uses DisplayLink (or one that specifically states it will work with Apple Silicon).

szim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2024
Thank you :)

That's interesting. If Displaylink however is prone to artifacts sadly that's not an option. Work mainly with video. But good to know.

So if anyone is curious, this is the hub that Apple said to try:

They could not tell me however for sure if it would work. Then again Apple support in Germany leaves a bit to be desired. Shocked by the price I rang Belkin tech support to check first. They said it's not possible with an M3 series to achieve two displays over one hub. This product doesn't state Displaylink compatible, but they do have Displaylink supported products. Wonder why they didn't mention them.

Either way thanks again. And I'd be curious if anyhow actually has two monitors, extended, with a Displaylink hub on M3 mac running. I've given up now and just have two cables.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
So if anyone is curious, this is the hub that Apple said to try:

They could not tell me however for sure if it would work. Then again Apple support in Germany leaves a bit to be desired. Shocked by the price I rang Belkin tech support to check first. They said it's not possible with an M3 series to achieve two displays over one hub. This product doesn't state Displaylink compatible, but they do have Displaylink supported products. Wonder why they didn't mention them.
This one should work with your M3 Max (up to two 4K screens at 60Hz). Belkin tech support was wrong, or perhaps they were referring to the base M3 chip, which can only support one external display natively.

And I'd be curious if anyhow actually has two monitors, extended, with a Displaylink hub on M3 mac running.
My employer gave me a USB-C HyperDrive hub that works with my M3 Pro MBP. It uses SiliconMotion's InstantView software, which is basically the same as DisplayLink. It's driving two HDMI monitors in extended mode and charges my Mac, all in one cable. I do plan on getting my own Thunderbolt dock or Thunderbolt monitors though. I'm not a fan of using DisplayLink/InstantView when my Mac is able to support multiple monitors natively. I'm guessing you probably wouldn't want this one either since it's similar to a DisplayLink hub.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.