Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I currently have the 12PM and it’s really starting to wear out my hand these last a seal years…

I have a work iPhone XR and I’m really liking the size. In general I don’t feel like I miss too much screen space as the 6.1 is pretty good.

Anyone else thinking of going to the 6.1?

• Haha
Reactions: madrigal77

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I sit in front of a computer for 16+ hours a day. Not really necessary to hold my phone when everything I need is right there via keyboard and mouse.

Later I hold an iPad in bed with two hands and the bottom edge of the iPad resting on my stomach.

The occasional text, call or email is pretty much the only time I'm holding my 11 Pro Max. Not really a problem. If I'm out, I may read the News app.

I work from home, but if I was still in the office it'd be the same thing. I chose a profession (graphic design) that uses computers every day. That's just the tool I prefer to use if I'm going to be doing stuff that would have me holding my phone so long it starts to hurt my hand.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I’ve been using the Max models since the 11 and never had any problems. And I’ve got tiny hands. I don’t get it when people say they can’t handle it.lI’ve been using the Max models since the 11 and never had any problems. And I’ve got tiny hands. I don’t get it when people say they can’t handle it.
It’s more so the weight. They are getting heavy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ac1d 8urn

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
I currently have the 12PM and it’s really starting to wear out my hand these last a seal years…

I have a work iPhone XR and I’m really liking the size. In general I don’t feel like I miss too much screen space as the 6.1 is pretty good.

No a fan of the iPhone Max model sides are more square than roundish and as such in my opinion uncomfortable to hold.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I usually watch a show on Netflix or Disney+ for 30 mins while I try to get to sleep so the smaller the phone the better. My original SE is extremely comfortable and easy to hold with one hand so it is basically a dedicated media streamer now that I have moved back to the 12 Mini as my daily driver.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I can’t decide wether I stick with a large phone or switch to an iPad mini plus a small phone next. I find pros and cons for both. A good problem to have I guess 😀

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
I used to hold the phone with my pinkie at the bottom. Once I stopped that, my hand no longer hurt. It’s too much weight, even though it feels like a more natural way to hold the phone left handed, operate with the right. I like the size of the PM.

mobiletech

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
TBH most of the history of plus/max has for the most part been worth it. The extra screen space and functions always made the difference. Now the base pro has 6.1 screen which is bigger than 90% of the plus/max lines in the past and there are no functional or performance differences either. The size will leave permanent creases and even make wear marks on men's regular fit jeans. The weight will stretch out many lightweight jackets and there have been numerous reports of people's pinkies or ring fingers have developed bone deformities from supporting the weight for a few years.

Annv

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2019
I think that for comfort such huge phones should have round edges. Square ones were to the point in much smaller form factor, up to OG SE. No one cared about ergonomics when designing these new models.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Pro max all the way! I never once had issues with its size and weight of it and I prefer bigger sized iphones anyways. Better battery life than the pro

Reactions: Jackbequickly

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
I went from XS Max to 12 Pro to 14 PM. Although I hate heavy phones, I dislike narrow screens more. A 6.1” screen with 16:9 aspect ratio would be perfect, but not going to happen with most people liking tall narrow screens.

Reactions: dms_91

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
I have a XR in a slim leather case and have been happy with this size. I have stupidly large hands and haven't cared for anything larger that I've handled. I do embiggen the display since my eyes aren't quite as sharp as they used to be, but I'm not missing anything. If you already are happy with the XR, then I'd say skip the Max. If you want a visual comparison of sizes, here's Apple's page that gives them side-by-side.

EDT: you have access to all the comparative specs on that page. Down at the bottom, dimensions and weight are available. If weight is a factor in why you don't like your 12PM, then the 14PM won't cut it. It's a little heavier.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007

100% team 6.1. I am so tired of huge and heavy iPhones. Gonna sell my 14 PM soon.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
My wrist because of the iPhone 12 PM usage 😅 I wish there was an Aluminium edition of the Pro Max. I also have to crack my fingers a lot. My Samsung device is so light …

Attachments

• C6C3F533-856F-4CA9-88C7-09C842F7440C.jpeg
    C6C3F533-856F-4CA9-88C7-09C842F7440C.jpeg
    314.2 KB · Views: 57

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
TBH most of the history of plus/max has for the most part been worth it. The extra screen space and functions always made the difference. Now the base pro has 6.1 screen which is bigger than 90% of the plus/max lines in the past and there are no functional or performance differences either. The size will leave permanent creases and even make wear marks on men's regular fit jeans. The weight will stretch out many lightweight jackets and there have been numerous reports of people's pinkies or ring fingers have developed bone deformities from supporting the weight for a few years.
Yet again I am out of the norm.

• I wear Dickies cargo pants and shorts. I have yet to have crease marks.
• I have no lightweight jackets that have pockets I would use for my phone. I do have a lighter Dickies jacket with an inside pocket. Hasn't stretched out yet. But usually my phone is in my jeans pocket, not my jacket pocket.
• I have no bone deformities in my pinkies caused by my phone, despite using large phones since 2014.

You seem to be describing the type of person who wears lightweight, free-flowing clothing and holds their phone - a lot. Perhaps that's you, I don't know. But again, nothing that you describe has happened to me.

I'm quite comfortable and happy with the size of the plus/max phones.

Incidentally, my wife carries around an 11 Pro Max and a Pixel 3a XL. Hasn't stretched out her pockets or jacket pocket, nor caused pinky bone deformities. And she holds her phone way more than I do.

Last edited:
Reactions: MayfairMissy

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think that for comfort such huge phones should have round edges. Square ones were to the point in much smaller form factor, up to OG SE. No one cared about ergonomics when designing these new models.
I disagree. I have the 11 Pro Max with rounded sides. I've owned the 6+ and I also have a 6s+. Both with rounded sides. It's much harder to pick them up off a flat surface. The constant having to readjust grip because your fingers are trying to hold on to a curve instead of a flat side is often tiring.

When I finally am able to upgrade it will be to a Max model of iPhone with FLAT sides.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.