Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skiniftz

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2004
I say it again - there is no way at this stage of the year that Jobs is going to miss his chance to say "Just one more thing..." on stage at WWDC. Unless of course we are going to see 2.6Ghz now and 3Ghz announced in a month...but that would be silly.

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
well, whatever happens - i have to buy one ... probably with 4gb of ram for the start - hope to get my hands on those 2gb ram modules - they are quite rare/non existing (?) in switzerland ...
.a

Skiniftz

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2004
.a said:
well, whatever happens - i have to buy one ... probably with 4gb of ram for the start - hope to get my hands on those 2gb ram modules - they are quite rare/non existing (?) in switzerland ...
.a
I'm assuming you know this, and I don't want to sound patronising here, but I can not stand by and let someone be unbelievably and blatantly ripped off silly by Apple just in case you are not aware of something.

Namely, do not, under any circumstances, buy RAM from Apple.

(Unless of course you have lots of money you need to get rid of in which case email me and I can suggest many ways of solving this problem...)

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
Skiniftz said:
I'm assuming you know this, and I don't want to sound patronising here, but I can not stand by and let someone be unbelievably and blatantly ripped off silly by Apple just in case you are not aware of something.

Namely, do not, under any circumstances, buy RAM from Apple.

(Unless of course you have lots of money you need to get rid of in which case email me and I can suggest many ways of solving this problem...)

thanks a lot for your warning! yes, i know that apple charges way too much for their ram (i think it's about three to four times more ... ). i should have been more precise ... i'll order a g5 with 512mb (or whatever the base of rev.b will be) and order 4gb in addition from another reseller - do you know about any 2gb modules?
thx again!
.a

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Johnkb said:
I guess there are no updates, as expected.

nope - it just didn't make sense with WWDC around the corner.....

now we just have to wait for all the other faux Tuesday release dates until June :D

D

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
With WWDC a little bit more then one month away I don't see any updates until then. On WWDC I expect:
- iMac G5
- New PowerMac with dual 3.0 GHz max.
- new displays
- 4th generation iPod
- one more thing

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Problem with these predictions!

Here's the deal - if you want accuracy you have to add a year to the date!

March 23rd, May 18th bah Hum bug!

Now June 15th 2004 or 2007 or 2010 Those are predictions! That specifies one and only one day. May 18th is a regular accurance and where is the spine in that predicition? I mean all it takes is onle elementary school comeback ... "I meant NEXT May 18th (including the mandatory toung sticking out gesture)" to back up original rumor - now if the rumor attached a YEAR to the date.... Like May 18th, 2004 - that is a person with backbone!

:eek:

So off to the rumor mill Bar and Grill to hang out with everyone getting on the WWDC band wagon!

itsa said:
So much for this rumor! :)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I was among those that wasn't expecting anything today. So much for the rumors. There certainly is no reason for Apple to make any announcements till WWDC since they have the $500 off with the purchase of a G5 and a 23" Cinema Display.

DrGruv1

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2002
Chicago - West 'Burbs
Going to (maybe) buy the dual 7457 1.2ghz powerlogix...

wdlove said:
I was among those that wasn't expecting anything today. So much for the rumors. There certainly is no reason for Apple to make any announcements till WWDC since they have the $500 off with the purchase of a G5 and a 23" Cinema Display.

It would keep me going till the dual 3ghz... seems like a waste of $1000 though (that's the problem) hard to throw $1000 at something...

BUT if the 3ghz don't show till Jan. 05... it would be worth it

-ideas?

gerardrj

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
Arizona
aswitcher said:
I think you'll find the FY ends 30 June... ;)

It varies by company. The person who made the comment was apparently referring to the financial cycle of the company for which he or she works.

A company can have their fiscal year end just about whenever they want, it's an arbitrary thing, but it will (must?) coincide with the end of a quarter.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
gerardrj said:
It varies by company. The person who made the comment was apparently referring to the financial cycle of the company for which he or she works.

A company can have their fiscal year end just about whenever they want, it's an arbitrary thing, but it will (must?) coincide with the end of a quarter.

Oh, ok. Weird. Never heard of Financial Year referring to anything but the tax year ending in June.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
oh well :(

oh well, no updates...darn. Guess we have sometin to look forward too in june :). I am still hoping for g5 update, new imac (steve is gonna have a heart attack and probly make out with one on stage), of course Tiger, and maybe new ipod and ipod mini.

itsa

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
wdlove said:

Call me CRAZY but I expect something EVERY week from apple.
maybe not a new line every week.. but for sure something. I think something is wrong when there are no changes at apple.

As for them displays.... They still are not worth the price! Even if they dropped the fact that you must buy a G5 with it to get the discount.
There are far too many better Displays out there that even look better with the G5 to waist that kind of money.

Crazy! There I did it for you.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
numediaman said:
Let's hope that the rumor heats up the closer we get to WWDC.

Cue thatwendingo. Time for another G5 and heat related issues post. :D

tunanut

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2004
why is it everytime i DON'T want to buy a new mac, there seem to be flooding the market with revisions, but now, when i would love to see the dual 2g drop in price, i'm growing cobwebs on my amex?

so what's the deal with the monitors, no great shakes? i heard the 20" is all around better rez, but what brands/models are superior (in your humble, unbiased opinion)?

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
aswitcher said:
Oh, ok. Weird. Never heard of Financial Year referring to anything but the tax year ending in June.

When you set up a company you elect whatever tax year you want. The tax year might end in June in your company but at another it might be on September 16th (though it's almost always at the end of a quarter).

June 30 is most popular because December 30th is Christmas and this way everything can be wrapped up for the year before people go on vacation.

Oh, back on topic, we need a Luser! icon for this topic to indicate it's a turd. No updates. -50 hit points for the rumor monger.

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
tunanut said:
why is it everytime i DON'T want to buy a new mac, there seem to be flooding the market with revisions, but now, when i would love to see the dual 2g drop in price, i'm growing cobwebs on my amex?

Which do you want? Price drops or new revisions? They're mutually exclusive. When a product is on its way out you get price drops and special promotions. When it's brand new you pay top dollar.

Crikey

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2004
Spencer's Butte, Oregon
Johnkb said:
I guess there are no updates, as expected.

Oh, but I disagree! GarageBand 1.1 will be of more immediate use to me than a dual 3-GHz G5 would have been. ;-) I've got to pay off some of these new music toys before I can afford a new Mac. End of June should be just about right!

Thank you Apple, for a happy May 18th!

Crikey

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.