Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crikey

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2004
Spencer's Butte, Oregon
ClimbingTheLog said:
Which do you want? Price drops or new revisions? They're mutually exclusive. When a product is on its way out you get price drops and special promotions. When it's brand new you pay top dollar.

Not to put words in tunanut's mouth, but I assume he is speculating that when the 3GHz G5s come out, one or two things will happen: the current 2GHz G5s will go on close-out sale, and/or the old top-end 2GHz machine may become the new low-end machine and sell for under $2000. So what he said makes perfect sense.

I gotta say I don't see the next G5 rev taking us to dual-3GHz land. Just because Steve said a year ago he'd like to be there by now, doesn't mean "he promised" or that Apple will achieve his goal. We have heard about yield problems; that's enough to indicate that while we'll probably see bumps, they probably won't be as lofty as Steve would like.

To me, that's okay. The dual 2GHz Power Mac kicks ass. A dual 2.4 would kick ass at the end of June, with a dual 2.2 in the middle and the dual 2.0 or even 1.8 at the bottom.

As soon as the chips are there, they'll go to 3GHz. Probably by the end of the year? Who knows.

Crikey

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
Crikey said:
I gotta say I don't see the next G5 rev taking us to dual-3GHz land. Just because Steve said a year ago he'd like to be there by now, doesn't mean "he promised" or that Apple will achieve his goal. We have heard about yield problems; that's enough to indicate that while we'll probably see bumps, they probably won't be as lofty as Steve would like.

To me, that's okay. The dual 2GHz Power Mac kicks ass. A dual 2.4 would kick ass at the end of June, with a dual 2.2 in the middle and the dual 2.0 or even 1.8 at the bottom.

As soon as the chips are there, they'll go to 3GHz. Probably by the end of the year? Who knows.

Crikey

my take on things is that why would apple ait till wwdc to launch a 2.2 or 2.4 that to me is a minor speed bump....
a dual 3ghz would rock the world

Digitalzoom

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2004
Gloucester, UK
I'm well friggin peeved with Apple UK. After being told my CTO Dual 2Ghz G5 was being upgraded and it obviously wasn't. My new order number is another 2Ghz dual G5. Why I don't know.
I'm tempted to cancel & wait a few weeks for WWDC.
In some ways its good because a annoucment before WWDC would mean no 3Ghz G5s until late summer.
I think we will see something like 3.2 or 3.4 Ghz Dual G5 Powermacs.
oh Well they say The best things come to those that wait......

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Take one for the team!!!!

Take one for the team man! I know the feeling - I'm sitting on CASH! That is a first for me and my pending upgrade!!!! Now that I've reached computer fund levels of unprecedented amounts - nothing but a rebate offer! :eek:

So I say take one for the team! Buy NOW and let the upgrades flow like mana from heaven. :rolleyes:

Every time I buy they get a new model every two months. Tweeks, boosts incentives and price drops all the time... but now Nada! :mad:

So it is someone elses turn.... buy now and let the rest of us reap the benfits of your impatients! :p

Any one ever attempt to answer my question I lost on a thread somewhere. Of why even the NEWEST G5 referbs ship with 10.2.7 and include an upgrade to 10.3? Wouldn't it be a nice perk for apple for format the drives and install 10.3 for us? I mean if they are including it and all....

Oh well time to wait with the rest of you.

IJ

tunanut said:
why is it everytime i DON'T want to buy a new mac, there seem to be flooding the market with revisions, but now, when i would love to see the dual 2g drop in price, i'm growing cobwebs on my amex?

so what's the deal with the monitors, no great shakes? i heard the 20" is all around better rez, but what brands/models are superior (in your humble, unbiased opinion)?

InfoKill

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2004
Tokyo/NYC
I've been waiting sooooooo long for my G5!!! :(
I think one more month is going to kill me.
Im planning on getting the dual 1.8 for video editing and graphic work, but im not sure if they are going to drop the price of it come wwdc. this is going to be my first mac and i dont want to waste any money.

advice? :eek:

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Digitalzoom said:
I'm well friggin peeved with Apple UK. After being told my CTO Dual 2Ghz G5 was being upgraded and it obviously wasn't. My new order number is another 2Ghz dual G5. Why I don't know.
Duff-Man says...it ius possible that the "upgrade" on your order is just the new faster superdrive...that change may require that Apple issue a new order number....oh yeah!

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Advice my 2c

Wait til WWDC and if no new stuff - buy that day get overnight delivery and video edit all summer

Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...it ius possible that the "upgrade" on your order is just the new faster superdrive...that change may require that Apple issue a new order number....oh yeah!

Skiniftz

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2004
Crikey said:
I gotta say I don't see the next G5 rev taking us to dual-3GHz land. Just because Steve said a year ago he'd like to be there by now, doesn't mean "he promised" or that Apple will achieve his goal.

He didnt say he'd like to be there now, at WWDC 2003 his exact phrase was "IBM and Apple are today announcing that within 12 months, we'll be at 3Ghz."

I don't know about you, but coming from the CEO of the company on stage at a major conference I'd call that pretty official.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/wwdc03/

tunanut

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2004
Crikey said:
Not to put words in tunanut's mouth, but I assume he is speculating that when the 3GHz G5s come out, one or two things will happen: the current 2GHz G5s will go on close-out sale, and/or the old top-end 2GHz machine may become the new low-end machine and sell for under $2000. So what he said makes perfect sense.

that's precisely what i meant. thanks for clarifying my murky statement, crikey.

i'll settle for a mid priced dual 2 g! :D

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
While I am dissappointed to not see any upgrades, I have hope there are some to be announced at WWDC. The lack of any upgrades makes me think we will not see 3.0Ghz. For those of you who are holding off on upgrading here is a juicy tidbit for you: I annually buy at least $10k worth of new computers from Apple or more. This year I will be spending upwards of $30k, one of which is a new Xserve. When I was speaking to some techs and my rep at Apple, I asked about my buy window. In otherwords, should I wait until WWDC or could I buy before and start getting stuff set up. My rep is normally very quick to spit out the line "we never know what is coming until a few days before it is announced". This time, however, the tech and the rep both said in terms of the xserve it might be worth while to wait until WWDC, as well as for my other computer purchases. Nothing more than that but after all these years it is more than I have ever gotten out of them. I would also think if they were not releasing anything new they would encourage current sales, esp. on an xserve.

Take it for what it is worth. Nothing definete but my rep has been very good to me in the past and looks out for me.

BTW - to start it off, I predict updates next Tuesday.

qubex

macrumors 6502
I've been wanting a dual-G5 since their release last year. My request was finally approved by the Company in March but by then I elected to wait for "the imminent Revision B G5s" - which of course have never arrived.

So the other week, acting partially on impluse and partially out of sheer exasperation, I renegotiated the deal with the Company and ordered a 1.5 GHz 15" PowerBook instead.

That said, I fully expect Revision B G5s to be unveiled at WWDC. Though I expect they won't be available until September, I'm absolutely sure there will be a token dual-3GHz machine on show so Steve can gloat about delivering on his promise of "3GHz within a year". I simply don't see him being willing to publicly admit defeat.

As for XServes, I'll really be surprised if the G5 units will be updated anytime soon. The RAID XServe still uses a G4 chip if I'm not mistaken, so perhaps that'll see an upgrade in the near future. At best I expect we'll see slight speed-bumps and perhaps a few new application-specific XServe incarnations.

Skiniftz

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2004
qubex said:
That said, I fully expect Revision B G5s to be unveiled at WWDC. Though I expect they won't be available until September, I'm absolutely sure there will be a token dual-3GHz machine on show so Steve can gloat about delivering on his promise of "3GHz within a year". I simply don't see him being willing to publicly admit defeat.
You beat me to it. My thoughts precisely, however I was going to say "available August".

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
InfoKill said:
I've been waiting sooooooo long for my G5!!! :(
I think one more month is going to kill me.
Im planning on getting the dual 1.8 for video editing and graphic work, but im not sure if they are going to drop the price of it come wwdc. this is going to be my first mac and i dont want to waste any money.

advice? :eek:

Are you interested in the 23" Cinema Display also? If so, then you would get a $500 rebate from Apple. Some of the catalogues like MacMall & MacConnection have some special deals on the G5.

I agree that the PowerMac will be updated at WWDC, but not be available for a month or two. It just all depends on you patience level.

InfoKill

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2004
Tokyo/NYC
No im not going for the 23" also (waaaay to much money for me :eek: ) but yeah im just trying to get the best deal. if they do anounce something at wwdc how long after will it go into effect?

houseofmind

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2004
G5 Refurb

I couldn't take the wait for the Rev B g5, and took the plunge and purchased a Dual 2.0 Refurb. To my surpise, 10.3 came pre-loaded, it came with 1 gig of RAM, and a 8x Superdrive. It may be that I lucked out and they were out of the other parts, but it was certainly a welcome suprise! I couldn't be happier with my refurb purchase. :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
houseofmind said:
I couldn't take the wait for the Rev B g5, and took the plunge and purchased a Dual 2.0 Refurb. To my surpise, 10.3 came pre-loaded, it came with 1 gig of RAM, and a 8x Superdrive. It may be that I lucked out and they were out of the other parts, but it was certainly a welcome suprise! I couldn't be happier with my refurb purchase. :)

Do you have any idea how many people are now going to buy a dual-2 refurb and then be disappointed by getting a 512 MB, 4X SuperDrive, OS 10.2 system? :) I think you were quite lucky, at least on the RAM and SuperDrive.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
jsw said:
Do you have any idea how many people are now going to buy a dual-2 refurb and then be disappointed by getting a 512 MB, 4X SuperDrive, OS 10.2 system? :) I think you were quite lucky, at least on the RAM and SuperDrive.

Refurb machines come with the 10.3 update CD.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
The latest from the French:

- G5 Trinity à la WWDC

Les G5 équipés de PPC975 (nom de code: Trinity) seront annoncés à la WWDC et livrable au plus tard à l'Apple Expo. Le PPC975 consomme en moyenne 65W à 3 GHz et intègre 98 millions de transistors. Tous les modèles auront deux emplacement Superdrive et 4 emplacements de disque dur. Côté son, 24-bit 192Khz au moins sur le haut de gamme. Apple proposera avec ATI une carte graphique PCI-express professionnelle du type Fire GL.

Config (susceptible de changer):

Mono PPC 975 à 2,2 GHz
AGP 8x
FSB 1,1 GHz
Superdrive

Dual PPC 975 à 2,6 GHz
PCI-Express 16x
FSB 1,3 GHz
Superdrive Extreme (double couche)

Dual PPC 975 à 3 GHz
PCI-Express 16x
FSB 1,5 GHz
Superdrive Extreme (double couche)

http://croquer.free.fr/

I don't think you need a translation to understand this. They posted specs for the laptops early, and were correct. Unfortunately, this is not the first time they have speculated about the new G5s -- but I like those specs!

Twonk

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2004
yorkshire, engerland
soooooooo fed up with waiting

Sorry but I have to get this off my chest...

<rant>

I need a rev 2 G5 NOW!!!!!

I've been coming to this site every day for the last couple of months looking, hoping, praying for news of a release date. This whole waiting game is getting real tired now. My b/w G3 is seriously creaking.

Perhaps we should start a support group or something? "Frustrated Mac Buyers Anon" or something.......

</rant>

ah that's better...

Twonk

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2004
yorkshire, engerland
oh la la!

I lurve those french specs - particluarly the bit about 2 drive bays for DVD / CD devices (if my french is correct)

Always thought that one large drive bay was a dumb design for a desktop :)

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
PPC 975?

Does the PPC 975 exist at all? With the yield problems IBM is having, I can hardly believe they can produce a new CPU out of thin air unless they have been working on it for some time and did not face problems a la 970FX. I don't want to sound to pessimistic but I fear those specs are a bit too good to be true, they're so 2005. What about that FireGL graphics card, do we know anything about its existence?

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
Twonk said:
I lurve those french specs - particluarly the bit about 2 drive bays for DVD / CD devices (if my french is correct)

Always thought that one large drive bay was a dumb design for a desktop :)
I believe it is more likely double-sided DVDs, not two drive bays.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
There is no doubt that the PPC 975 will exist (if that is what IBM will call the Power5 derivative chip), but we don't know how far it's development has come. It is supposed to be on track because it is supposed to be unaffected by the 90 nm problems (as it's supposed to be a 130 nm chip)...

And no, they're not talking about double-sided DVDs, but double-layer DVDs. It's a brand new technology that's coming to the market at this very moment.

If the french site has got it only approximately right, these babies will rock! :D

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
the future said:
And no, they're not talking about double-sided DVDs, but double-layer DVDs. It's a brand new technology that's coming to the market at this very moment.
Double layer is actually what I meant to say. Apparently my English is as good as my French. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.