Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sobering

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Canada
Hey guys I am wanting to get an Apple laptop but can't really afford a MBP. What are the main differences between MB and MBP? Also, when are Apple's laptops going to be converted into Core 2 Duo machines? Also, as a previous owner of an iMac, I was already used to the screen size and resolution of the 17-inch. What do you think?

Sobering

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Canada
What about the sound quality in the MB. Will those built in speakers be good for just listening to music?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I much, much prefer the sound quality of the MacBook Pro I had vs the MacBook that I currently have. IMO, the MBP was quite a bit louder and more crisp.

I also miss the MBP backlit keyboard. Sounds like a cheesey feature, but once you're used to it, it's no fun when it's gone. :)

Sobering

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Canada
Dosn't MB have lights under the keyboard? The one I saw at the store I thought it did.

Sobering

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Canada
When MacBooks get upgraded do you think they will be a better graphics card? That's my only problem with getting one right now is the graphics card that's currently in the MacBooks.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
aristobrat said:
I also miss the MBP backlit keyboard. Sounds like a cheesey feature, but once you're used to it, it's no fun when it's gone. :)

You know, I really don't miss that feature.

It was a great ghee-whiz feature when I first got my PowerBook, but then I turned it off -- I don't look at the keys anyway, and when I did need to look, the residual glow from the LCD was enough to see.

I also turned off the brightness adjust, because it wreaked havoc with my battery life. Again it was neat for a bit, but never seemed to get it right and FN-F1/F2 was easier and faster.

I think Eldorian has it right, those are the three main differences. From my point of view:

1) I never used the cardslot in my PowerBook, everything was either built-in or a storage device I connected by firewire / usb

2) Resolution / screen size -- when I'm portable, smaller and lighter is better. When I'm at home, I plug it into an exernal monitor if I need extra size.

Which, to me, leaves the video card as the determining factor. Then you have to set aside the religious wars (<OMG> how dare they put an <ugh> integrated card in? Its useless for anything! </OMG>) and decide: Does my usage pattern require the additional features provided by the card?

Surprisingly, for most people even considering a MacBook, the answer is no, they don't require it, the integrated card is actually quite decent.

But IMO that's where the decision lies: integrated or not, depends on what you do.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Well the really cool thing about MacBook Pro is the graphics card and design, I have a MacBook and while I love it the GMA950 is just too little for my tastes and I still don't feel 64mb of shared RAM is enough for the GUI plus integrated leeching off RAM sucks.

Honestly I don't like the graphic card and it is my only big complain with MacBook, any dedicated graphic cards would have been better but oh well.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
I agree, a dedicated graphics card would have made the MacBook probably the best notebook ever made :D

arcobb

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Colorado
XP Defector said:
I agree, a dedicated graphics card would have made the MacBook probably the best notebook ever made :D

I love my macbook ... and I can't think of anything that I wish it could do ... so I think it probably is the best notebook ever made. It has all of the things I loved about the 12 inch powerbook plus the perfect screen and 10 times more useful then the powerbook (isight, dual core, runs windows).

-::ubermann::-

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2006
XP Defector said:
thats for sure, im insecure about buying a inspiron 9400 or a macbook
if the macbook had video dedicated card, i would have ruled out dell inmediately

ictiosapiens

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
-::ubermann::- said:
if the macbook had video dedicated card, i would have ruled out dell inmediately

I'm on the exact same boat, if the macbook had dedicated graphics, I would have bought it when it came out... Now I'm close to pulling the trigger for a Dell XPS 1210(with merom, dedicated graphs, and the small form factor) I know is fugly, but for me... function > looks ALWAYS!!!

I'm going to wait until tuesday and see what happens, but I see it very unlikely that apple will do anything to it's Notebook line, I think it will focus on the Itunes/ipod/video content...

mikesk8

macrumors member
May 17, 2006
Helsinki
-::ubermann::- said:

They cannot put all nice stuff into MB:) some features are only for MBP;) MB is a consumer laptop and 950 is rather a standard chip for this level/price.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I agree with anyone who said that if the MacBook had a dedicated graphics card, it would be the best computer ever. Actually, since I'd never tax a graphics card for what I do, I'll say that if the screen had a slightly higher resolution, it would be perfect for me.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
ictiosapiens said:
if the macbook had dedicated graphics, ... but for me... function > looks ALWAYS!!!

A serious question -- what is it you are planning to do with your MB(P)? that requires the Radeon X1600 over the GMA 950?

I'm going to assume its not gaming, since buying an Apple laptop for gaming is kind of silly (and I'm still not certain why somebody wouldn't just buy a cheaper laptop + an XBox).

I'm asking because I have to admit I've never sat at my laptop and said "@#$&* this video card is just too slow", but I see enough complaints about it, that I know there is a segment that requires it, and I'd like an idea of what it is!

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Sobering said:
Hey guys I am wanting to get an Apple laptop but can't really afford a MBP. What are the main differences between MB and MBP? Also, when are Apple's laptops going to be converted into Core 2 Duo machines? Also, as a previous owner of an iMac, I was already used to the screen size and resolution of the 17-inch. What do you think?
WHY?!?!?!
I wrote a perfectly good mac guide about this. I suggest reading it

ictiosapiens

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
stcanard said:
A serious question -- what is it you are planning to do with your MB(P)? that requires the Radeon X1600 over the GMA 950?

I like to have the possibility of playing a nice round of Half Life 2 every once in a while when I'm bored in some random hotel room somewhere. I know I could carry my NDS with me, but WHY??? why can't I have a computer that covers all my necesities, why do I have to settle for less? Other manufacturers are making this machines(dell, sony, Asus, acer) So why can't apple make this computer?

stcanard said:
I'm going to assume its not gaming, since buying an Apple laptop for gaming is kind of silly (and I'm still not certain why somebody wouldn't just buy a cheaper laptop + an XBox).

Again, I want to be able to game occasionally, but for normal use, I would prefer Mac OS(I know I can use mac os on a pc with some hacking, but I'm a bit of a noob, so I would probably struggle doing that)

And the Xbox thing, I have an Xbox 360, but it doesn't really fit my bag that confortably...lol

stcanard said:
I'm asking because I have to admit I've never sat at my laptop and said "@#$&* this video card is just too slow", but I see enough complaints about it, that I know there is a segment that requires it, and I'd like an idea of what it is!

There definately is a segment that wants it, the segment that bought the Powerbook 12'' over the Ibook 12''... The Macbook is as most people will agree an excellent machine, but it's still missing that edge on graphics, and as if the GMA 950 was so great, apple decides(for whatever reason) to clock it at a speed nearly half below intel specs.

And that is basically it, I want a portable(10-14 inches) that can do everything I can throw at it, and at the mo, the XPS 1210, does it, but it lacks Mac OS, which is the only reason I've waited this long for apple to make this system...

ergle2

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
ictiosapiens said:
I like to have the possibility of playing a nice round of Half Life 2 every once in a while when I'm bored in some random hotel room somewhere. I know I could carry my NDS with me, but WHY??? why can't I have a computer that covers all my necesities, why do I have to settle for less? Other manufacturers are making this machines(dell, sony, Asus, acer) So why can't apple make this computer?

I've seen the argument you're responding to here, and it's ludicrous -- it's YOUR money, so you get to choose what suits you -- and that's even if it doesn't make sense to others.

The "get an Xbox" one is another I hear often. That's all well and good, but the two markets are very different. Most of the games I really like either don't appear on consoles or I don't enjoy playing them on consoles (FPS games, for example -- they just don't work on a joypad for me.)

I don't think Apple will release a small-form-factor MBP any time soon though, so I'm afraid it looks like you're stuck making a compromise one way or another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.