Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

4rtemidis

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Switzerland
So what's going to happen when I use TS3+ with a macbook and the magsafe charger?! Will the ts3+ still try to charge it, or will it deactivate the charging capability?! is that even possible?

MiloCody

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2021
You’re right, pure speculation, and I did think the 2019 16” was OK with 96w.

My back of the envelope was CPU up to 30W and Max GPU up to around 60W (slides from presentation), compared with iirc 45W + 50W tdp for the 2019 16”. Plus availability of same chips for the 14” with 96W charger. Nothing more informed than that.

Must admit I ordered M1 Pro anyway, & starting to think TS3+ with 87W might be fine…. Suspect you’re right better solutions will take 6 months with supply chain problems.
Agree. I think 87W is fine. I'm using Char Jen Ultimate Dock that uses 100W and going to test it on the M1 Max and see how it fairs by plugging the power cable directly to the Dock and then to on of the MBP Thunderbolt ports.

Using a i9 right now with an external monitor, and i see no difference in power drainage.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
So what's going to happen when I use TS3+ with a macbook and the magsafe charger?! Will the ts3+ still try to charge it, or will it deactivate the charging capability?! is that even possible?

Likely the same as current 16,1 - the machine takes power from the best available source with an Apple OEM as first priority. Not always instant (wait a minute to register) but it will usually take 96W OEM over 100W non-OEM when both are connected. MagSafe is even easier to manage since separate connector, easily disconnects others.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
That's good, so the TS3+ should use less power when magsafe is connected?!

The PSU power adapter "brick" isn't changing (believe it is technically 180W), but the consumption should reduce if you're not driving the ~87W for PD to machine. Basically would operate the same as a TS3+ connected to an iMac.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
So, the new mbp 16 will have a fast and good charge with the new/returning magsafe,
but alternatively can be charged with usb-c?

Reactions: panzer06

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
So, the new mbp 16 will have a fast and good charge with the new/returning magsafe,
but alternatively can be charged with usb-c?
Yep! Works great. I haven’t used the MagSafe yet. It's been connected to my 43” Dell which powers it just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: cool11

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
The upcoming CalDigit TS4 is the solution everyone wanted in 2019/2020. Claiming 98W charging via Thunderbolt. Other major changes from TS3+ are the front jack to combo jack (in/out separate moved to rear), additional USB-C front, microSD slot, additional TB downstream back, and DP 1.4 port update. Seems only loss is digital optical, which probably does not impact too many average users.

Reactions: carestudio

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The upcoming CalDigit TS4 is the solution everyone wanted in 2019/2020. Claiming 98W charging via Thunderbolt. Other major changes from TS3+ are the front jack to combo jack (in/out separate moved to rear), additional USB-C front, microSD slot, additional TB downstream back, and DP 1.4 port update. Seems only loss is digital optical, which probably does not impact too many average users.

The TS4 is available now, rather than "upcoming."

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It is OUT OF STOCK for the general public until March 2022.
It was in stock earlier this morning, so I guess they've sold out of the first batch, unfortunately. That's not a big surprise considering how spotty thunderbolt dock availability has been in general.

Reactions: anshuvorty

glyph.

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
here
Thanks for calling attention to this @bsbeamer ! I jumped on this *immediately* when I saw your comment and it was already sold out :). Still, looking forward to picking one up. Worth noting: this also is the first dock I've seen with integrated 2.5GbE, not just 1GbE. At first I was thinking that we wouldn't care about this on the new M1s any more, and this was just for my old 16inch Intel clunker, but despite its fairly low _average_ power draw, apparently at highest power the M1 max can draw up to *110* watts? So even though I've never seen this much power draw personally, it would be nice to have the peace of mind that I'm not going to see battery drain while plugged in.

glyph.

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
here
I bought the CalDigit TS4; wasn't even supposed to get it until the 28th, but Amazon shipped early and I was able to get it set up today.

From System Information -> Hardware -> Power:

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
ID: 0x0000
Wattage (W): 98
Family: 0xe000400a
Charging: No

There it is. Finally. An entire laptop generation past when I first wanted this dock :).

Reactions: bsbeamer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.