Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
In no way does the 2019 16" keyboard have "wobble" or "squish." The keyboard is tight and well-designed.

I'm disagreeing based on the unit I tried. Based on what you and other have said, I need to try a few more, but the one I tried very much felt like the keyboard from my 2009 Unibody. I've also had similar experiences with the Magic Keyboard II. A few I tried felt awesome. I couldn't believe it was a boring old scissor switch. Others felt meh.

Also, my idea of firm and crisp may be very different from yours. Regardless, they're still not as crisp as the butterfly which is something I lament. I really like a very crisp and tactile switch. I would be typing on an IBM Model M buckling spring right now had wrist pain forced me off of my favorite mechanicals.

That's just me. Everyone's different and lots of things affect your preference in keyboards. It's a very subjective experience.
[automerge]1576007941[/automerge]
I quite like the keyboard, and the large keycaps. However, I am not a speed typist. I find it quite comfortable to type on with almost no fatigue/soreness after a long coding session.

Do you typically get some hand or wrist soreness with extended bouts of laptop use? While I'm generally not a fan of scissors, I'll get over it quick if I can type all day without pain. That's what won me over to the butterflies. I can type on them all day without pain. I've done well on some scissors too, but minute differences between models can result in very different results in comfort for me.

Last edited:

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
I get that with my mechanical keyboards. Usually laptop keyboards are better. I've never owned a butterfly though so can't comment on its ergonomics.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I get that with my mechanical keyboards. Usually laptop keyboards are better. I've never owned a butterfly though so can't comment on its ergonomics.

The ergonomics are interesting and way different from what I expected. On first impression it appears to be a universal nightmare to anyone who has hand pain because there's no way to avoid bottoming out on them, but if you're able to tweak your typing mechanics, you can hit them very lightly and at least for some people (like me), it's less stressful.

I switch between the butterflies and a 35g linear electrocapacitive "nopre" mechanical as my daily drivers. They're wildly different switches, but I find they pair well together because both are most comfortable if you have a light touch.
[automerge]1576017929[/automerge]
Functioning is better than feel. Every time. Butterfly was probably too unreliable to continue.

Well, in general I'd say you're correct, but feel isn't a frivolous quality. Function is critical, but feel is at least somewhat important. There are some keyboards that will almost never fail. They feel awful.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.