Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustinTheAppleNewbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2020
Hi, I've been trying to connect my ethernet cable to my new mbp m1 13" but when I check my network settings it says "Self-assigned IP- address" or something( used google translate for translation might not be 100%). Anyone knows what this issue might be? The Ethernet cable is connected via a Hyperdrive dock and the ethernet port on the dock is displaying a small orange light, what that means I have no clue.

Note! the laptop has been assigned a ip address by the DHCP.

Thanks!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Maybe we should start with the basics. What's on the other end of the ethernet cable?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
1) Have you confirmed cable continuity to the house modem? Log into your modem's administrator console. Does it see a MacBook Pro connected to its ethernet port?

2) Check the user manual for your hyperdrive dock and find out what the orange light means.

JustinTheAppleNewbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2020
1) Have you confirmed cable continuity to the house modem? Log into your modem's administrator console. Does it see a MacBook Pro connected to its ethernet port?

2) Check the user manual for your hyperdrive dock and find out what the orange light means.
1) I'll try to login to my modem in the morning, I have no clue how to do it so imma have to hit up the operator.
2)the instructions don't say any about the light, I know I was suprised too.

happy new year to y'all!

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Looks like you're not the only one who's had issues. Some of the comments on the linked page say it works if you disconnect/reconnect the USB-C connection. Apparently a bug with the Realtek chipset not working after waking from sleep. Looks like you'll have issues every time the system sleeps.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Looks like you're not the only one who's had issues. Some of the comments on the linked page say it works if you disconnect/reconnect the USB-C connection. Apparently a bug with the Realtek chipset not working after waking from sleep. Looks like you'll have issues every time the system sleeps.

Good to know. I have a few USB 3.0 to GB Ethernet adapters that I can use if I run into this.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
The M1 is worth the wait. :D Hope you get lucky and can find one sooner.

I had one at my favorite store. I thought it over and it was gone. MBA 16/1 8/8. I think that I would prefer a MBP 16/1 though. I may get both. Someone else in the household wants a small laptop.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Using the base MBA here with no problems. I don't play games or try and edit 4k video, either.

My main purpose is just browsing and email but I would like to test out my trading programs on it to see if they run (these run on 4k monitors). I would also like to try building Thunderbird as it's not running natively on AS at this time. I was the first person to port it to Windows x64 back around 2005.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

JustinTheAppleNewbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2020

To add the product MAC Address to the "Mar" table is that something only the internet operator can do? or can i do it by myself?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.