Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
I have tried three of the ethernet adaptors in the house – only one worked with an M1 MBP. They all work with other computers (USB and TB)

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
I don't understand this. I use a satechie usb c hub with lan. This device works even in the macos recovery mode. Plug in and no drivers. I use it with some cat 7 patch cable.I use dhcp mode from my router this means i never need something to configure.

you must check your router settings or change patch cable.

Reactions: pldelisle

bapman

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2021
Looks like you're not the only one who's had issues. Some of the comments on the linked page say it works if you disconnect/reconnect the USB-C connection. Apparently a bug with the Realtek chipset not working after waking from sleep. Looks like you'll have issues every time the system sleeps.

Hi, I reply to this post because my ethernet adapter (brand "Uni" but with Realtek RTL 8153 inside) was working out of the box but was however not working after sleep. I always had to unplug / replug it on my MacBook Pro M1 to make it work.

I finally bought the "official" Belkin adapter from Apple web store and now it works after sleep. I checked in the system logs and, as said by different sources, the chipset inside this Belkin adapter is exactly the same as my previous one: Realtek RTL 8153.

So, beware, all RTL 8153 adapters do not seem to be working the same with Mac M1 / Big Sur! :confused:

Reactions: ventmore

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Hi, I reply to this post because my ethernet adapter (brand "Uni" but with Realtek RTL 8153 inside) was working out of the box but was however not working after sleep. I always had to unplug / replug it on my MacBook Pro M1 to make it work.

I finally bought the "official" Belkin adapter from Apple web store and now it works after sleep. I checked in the system logs and, as said by different sources, the chipset inside this Belkin adapter is exactly the same as my previous one: Realtek RTL 8153.

So, beware, all RTL 8153 adapters do not seem to be working the same with Mac M1 / Big Sur! :confused:

While the adapters may use the same chipset, they may not be wired the same with respect to the USB-C connection. The Belkin adapter supports wake-on-LAN, which is why it works after waking the Mac up from sleep mode. Those 3rd party adapters may not, so they do not even receive the signal to turn back on when the Mac is brought out of sleep mode.

palindromzero

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2021
I have similar issue, every time I restart or wake up for sleep, my ethernet connection could not be established. But after I replugged it is running. I was tired of that process.
I used the below guide to create restarting script for USB connection within every login.
maybe can be helpful

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.