Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flowerbass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2024
My MBP 10.1 15" i7 mid 2012 , run really slow, It is unusable, and funs are Always at Highest Speed. Reset pram and Smc, tray new battery, disconnected storage and wifi but nothing changes....no one experienced this issue?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Really slow and keyboard and touchpad not recognized
Reinstall the patches. Post in this thread

Reactions: Jhonjhon236

Flowerbass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2024
Reinstall the patches. Post in this thread

Flowerbass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2024
In a first time I repatched Sonoma and It seems to go in the right way, but in a second time nothing changed. Unfortunately At this time I have not a working os

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
A 2012 apple laptop does not have a M.2 slot on it they are all sata based. MacTracker is a amazing app with all the specs of every apple product ever made. I use it daily at work.
(Recheck your MacTracker app, to compare a MacBookPro9,1 with a MacBookPro10,1--both of which are called 15-inch, Mid 2012)
The OP has a MacBookPro10.1 - which is the first Retina model. That model removed the optical drive, and came with an SSD boot drive that actually is physically similar to an m.2 card. Still an SATA device, and not using the older 2.5-inch SATA, but has a proprietary connector on a card-type device.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
Here's my opinion: You have to figure out if this is related to the hardware failing, or to a failed patch.

1. Open up your computer physically and remove any dust that you might have. Use a can of compress air and remove the dust.

2. reinstall the OS to the last supported version. If the problem does not go away, then run a system diagnostic on it. If the problem goes away, then reinstall the patches.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
My MBP 10.1 15" i7 mid 2012 , run really slow, It is unusable, and funs are Always at Highest Speed. Reset pram and Smc, tray new battery, disconnected storage and wifi but nothing changes....no one experienced this issue?
It runs about 2 days With Sonoma patched With opencore Legacy, now It Is impossible to install Catalina too. Really slow and keyboard and touchpad not recognized
That's how apple makes money, locking you into upgrade cycles by not supporting hardware you bought and forcing you to use unofficial patches.

Flowerbass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2024
A 2012 apple laptop does not have a M.2 slot on it they are all sata based. MacTracker is a amazing app with all the specs of every apple product ever made. I use it daily at work.
Mine has proprietary m.2 or similari slot, It Is likes 2013 2015 retina 15" model

Flowerbass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2024
Here's my opinion: You have to figure out if this is related to the hardware failing, or to a failed patch.

1. Open up your computer physically and remove any dust that you might have. Use a can of compress air and remove the dust.

2. reinstall the OS to the last supported version. If the problem does not go away, then run a system diagnostic on it. If the problem goes away, then reinstall the patches.
How can I run system diagnostica With no os running?

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I still have my mid 2009 MBP running Catalina. My internal SATA SSD is almost full so slow downs are expected but I did have new thermal paste applied and this has dropped CPU temps down by 10 degrees (Celsius) and now globally runs a tad faster. Just a thought.

nathan_reilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2016
I will say that my 2013 15" Retina macbook pro also has significantly degraded performance-wise over the past few years. I wonder if this is some effect of running hot for so many years? I use Ableton with a MIDI instrument and now there are times where I can't even play an instrument that I used to use layered with tons of effects. Open core to keep current with the times but I know I am on borrowed time. Sorry to hear you are probably in a similar situation OP

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
I would have thought running a patched unsupported OS was the main culprit here. Its being pushed in directions it was never designed for. My advice would be to restore it back to, what High Sierra? I have a 2012 Mac Mini (with an 8Gb RAM and SSD upgrade) that runs brilliantly on 10.13. Whilst the reminders app doesn't quite sync up anymore things like Notes, iCloud Drive, iWork etc all work fine and sync with my iPhone 13 and M1 iPad Pro without issue.

I love how long Apple products last for but if you need a more modern OS it might be worth spending the cash on an M1 MacBook Air which you can buy for $699 new from Walmart or if you are on the opposite side of the pond pre-owned from CEX for £600 with a 2-year warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.