Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobnugget

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
England
One to note - after upgrading to Monterey and Ventura my 2012 unibody pros (also my 2021) ran lots of "background indexing" and the like for Spotlight, Photos, etc. This took a couple of days on the 2012's with fans on high the whole time. After that they settled down.

Almost as if the hardware is only just managing to run the modern OS :) They work very nicely now that has completed, though.

As others have said, this can also be the sign of a faulty/"Replace Soon" battery.

Bear in mind that *any* similarly specced Apple Silicon mac is going to be noticeably faster (even opening windows) than your 2012 if you upgraded. Yes, even the 2020 M1 MacBook Air with the same size SSD and same amount of RAM will be quicker.

Bradamante

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2013
Germany
My MBP 10.1 15" i7 mid 2012 , run really slow, It is unusable, and funs are Always at Highest Speed. Reset pram and Smc, tray new battery, disconnected storage and wifi but nothing changes....no one experienced this issue?

With hardware that old I would look at replacing the CPU paste.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
STOP using OCLP. Get rid of it.

Use 10.15 Catalina instead.

I admit I didn't read all the replies.
Will it still boot to INTERNET recovery?
Command-OPTION-R
at boot
???

If so, boot to internet recovery
then
ERASE the ENTIRE internal drive
then
Install a clean copy of Catalina
then
Restore your data
then
FORGET ABOUT OCLP -- the more I read about it, the more it sounds like "bad news" insofar as having problems is concerned...

Reactions: Allen_Wentz

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
That's how apple makes money, locking you into upgrade cycles by not supporting hardware you bought and forcing you to use unofficial patches.
Seriously you say that? The box is 12 years old! This thread has already burned more time than the box is worth.

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
Seriously you say that? The box is 12 years old! This thread has already burned more time than the box is worth.
Yeah. Macs don’t last forever. 12 years is a pretty good run. OP could get a used M1 Air on Swappa for like 500-600 bucks.

STOP using OCLP. Get rid of it.

Use 10.15 Catalina instead.

I admit I didn't read all the replies.
Will it still boot to INTERNET recovery?
Command-OPTION-R
at boot
???

If so, boot to internet recovery
then
ERASE the ENTIRE internal drive
then
Install a clean copy of Catalina
then
Restore your data
then
FORGET ABOUT OCLP -- the more I read about it, the more it sounds like "bad news" insofar as having problems is concerned...
Yeah. OP needs to start completely fresh and see if it helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.