Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

any yellowing issue on your led?

• NO the machine is perfect

Votes: 87 71.9%
  • YES i have the yellowing issue

Votes: 34 28.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Trying to get to the bottom of this, so i figured to post a poll to see how the led screens are fairing with the bottom yellow screen issue on newer than 8/13 machines!
Its important for users with MBPros that dont have the issue, to participate in this poll voting that they did get a MBPro but was perfect, its important to know how many do not have the issue!
Ive included the two pics that u can test with your MBPro
Good luck and thanx guys!

Attachments

• test_1.jpg
    test_1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 616
  • test_2.jpg
    test_2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 491

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I WIN! I HAVE IT! :mad:

i should get around to calling AppleCare to get them to fix this, but Im so lazy :p

Helfeather

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2007
Can't someone post a photo of a screen with those two tests that isn't affected by yellowing?

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
... a Poorly Worded Poll..??!!

I am a "bit hesitant" to call it perfect... but I Do Not have an appreciable Yellow Problem....

I have a Samsung 9C68 ; Mfg. Date: C2110E00 ; Seems like a Pretty Darn Good Machine to me!!! :)

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
OP, I admire your desire to see in a more objective way if the mbp screens have improved, but no poll on these forums will do that. They are all prone to self-selection bias. The thousands upon thousands of mbp owners who have no problems are probably not going to go online and look for a Mac friendly site to complain. Only those that have issues are bound to flock to such sites in an effort to receive aid. Even if your poll reveals that 10% of mbp owners have problems with yellow screens, this number is likely to be an exaggeration. Thus, I have to question if your poll is "the real test." If anything, it will be a repetition of the other polls we've seen that are similar to this (thank you Cybergypsy for the link). I hope that you aren't using this poll to make your purchasing decision, because no poll is going to determine if your mbp will be a lemon or a work of perfection. That is random chance. With all that said, I hope you know that few people have had problems with their machines relative to the number of people who have bought them. I didn't have any problems with mine, and I bought it on June 8th. Ok, I'm done:eek:

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I have it! But it doesn't really bother me, but Apple are *******s for selling 2500$ computers with horrible screens.

fad115

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
I dont have it, and if i do i cant see it.
Im not gonna look for it, if it doenst bother me in normale use then f. it.
I just know that if im gonna look for it im going to convince myself that i have it and i'm gonna be irritated about it. So if i do have it, it rather dont know.

I had to excange my old MBP because the hardrive died on me after 4 hours of use so i not really to eager to excange this one because its going to take me another tree wheeks to get a new one.

Its true, a 2500$ computer should be perfect, but o well not really worth the headace if you ask me.

skyrider007

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2007
Bangkok
Okay, I'm getting slightly worried! The bottom white box seems to be dimmer than the top box but it doesn't appear to be "yellowing". Is normal for the bottom part of the screen to be dimmer and the top brighter?

MBP 15.4" 2.4GHz

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Okay, I'm getting slightly worried! The bottom white box seems to be dimmer than the top box but it doesn't appear to be "yellowing". Is normal for the bottom part of the screen to be dimmer and the top brighter?

Yes; all LCDs have this property.

Helfeather

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2007
I believe I do not have the yellowing issue.

The bottom squares are dimmer, yes, but it is by no means yellow.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Not all, mine is evenly lite :)

Well so is mine, but the point is when you look at it from an angle. Since it would be tedious to adjust the display over and over, most of us put up with the slight dimming that occurs at the bottom of the screen due to the angle it's at.

Iced Angel

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I'm trying to forget about my yellowish screen, however, it doesn't bother me at all cause it's not really serious like many others .... the more I read threads, the more yellowish color I see :D
I've noticed when the brightness is set to medium it's more visible ... if i set the screen on is brightest setting, it's kind of hard to see.
what about you guys?? does it change with changing the brightness?

Halsey12

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2006
Portland
I have been really happy since I picked up the new Apple keyboard and now I can run my MacBook Pro LG screen shut and only have to stare at a beautiful 23" ACD. When the ACD was side by side with the MacBook Pro's LED, the LED looked like junk... dim bottom, terribly touchy viewing angles, whites not very white, and just not very bright in comparison. When I run your test, it's hard to say- the bottom is dim, and can be yellow, but if I move my head an inch it's not yellow, just dim still...

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
MBP vs. 23" ACD

I also have both and just looked at them side by side (my MBP is glossy). At highest brightness, the MBP seems brighter than the ACD. Its viewing angle is much less, no doubt, but it's still very good, I think, for a portable display. I don't have any yellowing or dim parts of the screen that I can see -- I keep looking, but they're just not there. It's a Samsung, by the way. For working long periods, the ACD is definitely superior, but the MBP display is the best portable display I've used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.