Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Nice. My Dual 1Ghz MDD is approaching 1 year and it's nice to see that eventually I'll be able to extend its useability with upgrades. What I don't get is, "PowerLogix would be forced to research the processes of binding the PowerPC G5 to an older 133MHz or 167MHz bus, only to be bottlenecked by its limitation".

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
That would be so good if powerlogix came with a G5 for the MDD...yay...But I still wanna buy a G5 20" iMac...I dont know..mmm...

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
right now is a G5 chip really worth it without the new architecture anyway?

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
right now is a G5 chip really worth it without the new architecture anyway?

I understand from the article that they are developing a motherboard addon as well meaning that we might get the new architecture with the chip!

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
This G5 upgrade probably won't appear until around the fall of next yr because as stated in the article the new G4 dual upgrades are suppose to be coming out by Spring time.

Most folks want to be able to upgrade to a G5 from G4. I know if they made PB version I would buy one right now but I know that won't happen.

Also this now makes me wonder how hard will it be for them to upgrade a G5 to a higher processor? Say a single 1.6 to a single 2.0?? I bet we could be seeing upgrades like this in a yrs or so time frame.

I believe as soon as the first G5 PM's start reaching the 2 yr mark we will see upgrades for them.

isgoed

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2003
dual

And while they're on it: They should make dual processor upgrades for those with single 1.6 G5 or single 1.8 G5 systems.

willmg

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2003
MA
While upgrading present G5 systems seems to make good sense, I don't see how they could have a "motherboard addon" that would give G4 macs newer architecture. To get new architecture they'd need a new MB(I just dont see how sticking somehting in a PCI slot or into the cpu socket could give more functionality), and with just a new processor I haven't seen anything that says single G5 chips at 1.6GHz would be much faster than your current dual 1-1.25GHz G4 setup. What makes the G5 screem is its FSB and memory connections. Now once the G5 gets up past 2GHz then replacing/upgrading may be worth it if the price isn't to steep, after all if you spend say 599+ on an upgrade and all you get is say a 300-500MHz boost, is that worth it when you could sell your current comp and spend say 1500+ and get a system that runs circles around both your current one and any upgraded G4s? Sorry to rant I just don't see it being worth the price unless the upgrades are massively cheaper than current G4 top end ones, or somehow add Hypertransport and faster memory support.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Because the 970 is 64-bit and uses a different memory bus, this board is going to be huge. You will have to buy all new RAM and install it on the upgrade board. Video performance is not likely to be very good. And the board will be very expensive - likely over $1,000.

Frankly, I don't believe it.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
powerligix also makes alot of defective products. many of their upgrades arrive DOA. if you're going to upgrade any cpu I reccomend sonnet. they are a very respectible and solid company that has been chosen the number 1 upgrade company by virtually every mac mag or web site. the one I have as no issues with anything.

anyway, a G5 upgrade wouldn't offer much more performance since its needs the new logic board architecture to work the way it was intended. if you want to upgrade from a G3 to a G4 or from a slower G4 to a faster one then I highly reccomend a sonnet upgrade.

FYI: when newertech(formerly the best upgrade company) went under sonnet nabbed all their best employees.

DrBoar

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
close
G5 in G4 towers, as useful as the "legendary" Power PC upgrade of the IIci;)

If there will be drop in replacement G4 around 1.5 GHz dirt cheap then it will be useful for a while. But soon the low end tower will be a 2 GHz G5 and that will kill the "high end" upgrades faster than the LC475 killed of the the upgrades of the II series and the LC/LCII/LCIII or how the G3 killed the 604E upgrades.

The night is not yet upon the G4 but 4 years old it cast a long shadow :eek:

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
I contacted them when I read this yesterday.

PowerLogix says the G4 upgrades are going to scale up nicely. They keep getting faster and faster.

I would guess maybe 1.5-1.6 dual G4 upgrades next summer. With apple possibly dumping the Moto G4 entirely next year (G5 and G3+Altivec) the price of the chips might come down.

They are cautious when talking about the G5 though. I think this is pure R&D at this point. A new mobo is no simple engineering task.

Apple would rather we buy new G5s. They won't make it easy.

As an OC'ed P4 owner, I love the new G5 case, but I also know its overkill. I prefer the look of the G4, so it would be great to stick a G5 inside of it.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
Originally posted by willmg
While upgrading present G5 systems seems to make good sense, I don't see how they could have a "motherboard addon" that would give G4 macs newer architecture. To get new architecture they'd need a new MB(I just dont see how sticking somehting in a PCI slot or into the cpu socket could give more functionality), and with just a new processor I haven't seen anything that says single G5 chips at 1.6GHz would be much faster than your current dual 1-1.25GHz G4 setup. What makes the G5 screem is its FSB and memory connections. Now once the G5 gets up past 2GHz then replacing/upgrading may be worth it if the price isn't to steep, after all if you spend say 599+ on an upgrade and all you get is say a 300-500MHz boost, is that worth it when you could sell your current comp and spend say 1500+ and get a system that runs circles around both your current one and any upgraded G4s? Sorry to rant I just don't see it being worth the price unless the upgrades are massively cheaper than current G4 top end ones, or somehow add Hypertransport and faster memory support.

The cpu and ram on a card. You get the full benefit of a fater FSB. You lose Hypertransport, or what ever Apple uses, to connect the southbridge/IO to the northbridge (logic, cpu, ram).

This is not a bad compromise at all.

And how will this effect video performance in any way?

This would be pretty sweet.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
Originally posted by blue&whiteman
powerligix also makes alot of defective products. many of their upgrades arrive DOA. if you're going to upgrade any cpu I reccomend sonnet. they are a very respectible and solid company that has been chosen the number 1 upgrade company by virtually every mac mag or web site. the one I have as no issues with anything.

anyway, a G5 upgrade wouldn't offer much more performance since its needs the new logic board architecture to work the way it was intended. if you want to upgrade from a G3 to a G4 or from a slower G4 to a faster one then I highly reccomend a sonnet upgrade.

FYI: when newertech(formerly the best upgrade company) went under sonnet nabbed all their best employees.

I had a duall 800 from Powerlogix in my sawtooth and it was AWESOME!

Take upgrade feedback with a grain of salt. On PC usergroups you get people complaining about X, Y or Z company for the same reasons. Its usually user error.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
Originally posted by cubist
Because the 970 is 64-bit and uses a different memory bus, this board is going to be huge. You will have to buy all new RAM and install it on the upgrade board. Video performance is not likely to be very good. And the board will be very expensive - likely over $1,000.

Frankly, I don't believe it.

Video performance will be effected in what way?

willmg

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2003
MA
I just dont see how ram and cpu on a for lack of a better term "daughtercard" would give much performance boost, they are still limited by the fact that they are connected either through a slow ass PCI slot, or a 167MHz limited FSB cpu socket. If I am totally wrong about this please explain.

thanks

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Originally posted by lewdvig
I contacted them when I read this yesterday.

PowerLogix says the G4 upgrades are going to scale up nicely. They keep getting faster and faster.

I would guess maybe 1.5-1.6 dual G4 upgrades next summer. With apple possibly dumping the Moto G4 entirely next year (G5 and G3+Altivec) the price of the chips might come down.

whoa, really? I thought the G4 wasn't capable of geting much higher than 1.3 Ghz or so (even the 1.42 was just overclocked, right?). Or was that just motorola's incompetence, i.e. another company can scale the G4 higher?

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
WHY

Has anyone here every tried to shove a 427 into a GEO Metro????

I am not sure I would invest such a creature if PL could make it work. Why not just get the G5??

Just a thought

Max

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: WHY

Originally posted by maxvamp
Why not just get the G5??

Just a thought

Max

My thoughts exactly. Given that this would likely be a rather expensive upgrade, and figure you could take that money, sell your current mac and probably come up with a figure fairly close to buying a new computer which would bring a lot of other benefits with it as well. By the time the g5 is refreshed and older ones are out on the market, it even makes less sense to upgrade. I've never thought upgrades were a particularly good idea from a cost/performance point of view, and are more a matter of techno envy than real world productivity gains. Better, in my mind, to make do for a little while, sell the old, buy new, and never look back.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
A processor replacement for current G4's to upgrade them with a G5 cannot be compared to as G3->G4. It should be interesting to see what kind of performance gains are to be achieved with a G5 hindered by a much slower front side bus. I liken this to dumping a Ferrari engine into a poor aerodynamically designed car. Not to say that I wouldn't jump up and down for this, since I'm an owner of a Dual 1Ghz MDD. I'm all for processor upgrades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.