Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blackstealth

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Bradford, UK
Re: Re: WHY

Originally posted by strider42
My thoughts exactly. Given that this would likely be a rather expensive upgrade, and figure you could take that money, sell your current mac and probably come up with a figure fairly close to buying a new computer which would bring a lot of other benefits with it as well. By the time the g5 is refreshed and older ones are out on the market, it even makes less sense to upgrade. I've never thought upgrades were a particularly good idea from a cost/performance point of view, and are more a matter of techno envy than real world productivity gains. Better, in my mind, to make do for a little while, sell the old, buy new, and never look back.

You make a well reasoned point, however some of us won't be buying a G5 until there's room in there for 4 HDs and two optical drives. My MDD is chock full and I don't have any free wall sockets for setting up two firewire HDs and a firewire burner.

As it is I don't really have a need for a G5 at the moment but 2-3 years down the line I might and if Apple don't offer more expandability by then I'd be highly interested in an upgrade kit.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
If you put the memory on the same card as the CPU FSB is not an issue. This could work. Also, there is absolutely no reason why you could not make this work with any speed of RAM - just use a dip switch.

I should also point out, I build and OC PCs like crazy and I have yet to find a stick of PC 2700 DDR that did not run at PC 3200 speed.

I/O will be slower than a real G5, but the current serial ATA standard barely taxes a non-hypertransport system. I don't see this being an issue.

You guys are missing the point here. This gives people choice, and choice is always good.

Basically all the 'problems' listed here are solvable.

In a year, if you give me the choice of a 2GHz G5, 1GHz FSB upgrade that lets me keep my drives, ram and case that gives me joy to look at, all for $1000 I will take it.

saint.duo

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2003
Re: Re: Re: WHY

I doubt Apple will go back to dual optical drives. They dropped it from the line because less than a certain percentage of MDD orders had dual drives in them. I don't know what that magic percentage is, though.

Originally posted by Blackstealth
You make a well reasoned point, however some of us won't be buying a G5 until there's room in there for 4 HDs and two optical drives. My MDD is chock full and I don't have any free wall sockets for setting up two firewire HDs and a firewire burner.

As it is I don't really have a need for a G5 at the moment but 2-3 years down the line I might and if Apple don't offer more expandability by then I'd be highly interested in an upgrade kit.

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
First of all, regarding the argument about the slow G4 bus. Despite all the G5 hoopla, it isn't clear that the faster RAM and the drastically faster bus actually results in any great boost. The 1.6 G5 runs about as fast as one would expect a 1.6 G4 to run if there was such a chip. Maybe another 10-20% faster at best. So in a totally redesigned chip, 5X faster bus, bigger L2 cache, and much faster RAM, it's only a bit faster at the same clock speed than a G4?!? Not that impressive. Pretty lame actually. And now we all know that Panther didn't boost G5 speeds more than G4 speeds. Some benchmarks showed 10.2.7 was actually faster than 10.3 for G5s. But that' s a differnet problem.

Personally, what I'd like to see if a DP 1.6 G4 upgrade, using the 7457 and sticking on 4MB L3 cache. But it would have to be about $350 at most and that will never happen. That's what it would take to double the speed of my DP 867. And by the time they come out, one might as well just sell the DP 867 and buy a closeout or refurb DP G5 1.8 for just a few hundred dollars more difference. I just don't see a market for MDD upgrades since so many were DPs anyway. Maybe if one is stuck with an MDD SP 1GHz a DP 1.6 would be a huge boost, but they didn't sell many of those.

asgardn1

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2003
New Jersey
Apple may have dropped the second 5.25" bay because few people bought a MDD with two drives. The reason for that was not that no one cared. No one needed another DVD-ROM drive that only burned CDs at 32X10 as their second drive.

_________
Dual 1.25 G4 MDD
•Pioneer DVR-A06; Lite-On 52X32X52 CD-RW
•2-Western Digital 10K-36GB SATA on RAID 0 on Sonnet SATA card
•80GB IBM/Hitachi 7200RPM+120GB Western Digital SE drive on RAID 0 on internal ATA/100

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I wonder whether a G5-upgraded MDD would lose its OS 9 bootability? IIRC the G5 is backward-compatible with older code, and the only reason a G5 needs 10.2.7 is because of serial ATA etc.

I own an MDD, and it's good to know that it will be upgradable, even if only to a faster G4 (currently 1.25 GHz).

Scottgfx

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2002
Fort Myers, FL
Powerlogix OK

I bought a dual 1.25 (actually 1.33) Ghz G4 upgrade for my Graphite-Digital Audio G4. The card performed fine from a electrical standpoint. What was a problem was the poorly designed and manufactured heat sink. I've been running the thing with the door all-the-way opened and an extra fan pulling air off of it. You cant make a proper cooling fan with a block of aluminum and a rip saw!!! There is also no way to pull air across the heat sink. The thing had to have been made by hand.

I am told there is a new heat sink and I can get it replaced, but I may just end up selling it on ebay.

Like I said, it works fine and is pretty fast, if you can keep it cool. The bad thing is that the video performance doesn't improve... That's it, the G5 upgrade should have it's own 8x AGP connector. They did things like this for the Amiga 2000, why not a MDD G4 Mac? :)

I bought a $1500 card for a $1000 Amiga that had a 68040, SCSI, Memory, Extra serial and parallel ports and connectors for video adaptors. It was basically an entire computer that sat in a special CPU upgrade slot. Many of us were crazy enough to buy them back then, I'm sure we'll buy them today.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
I didn't think it was possible to put a G5 in any current case design because of the fact that the G5 needs new cooling procedures, hence the new case design with 5 fans, I believe? Please tell me if I am wrong...

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
Here's what is wrong with that picture. On that G4 model the bus is going to be too slow, the ram too slow and the hard drive too slow to see any significant speed increase. Unless you replace the entire motherboard, hard drive and ram there's only going to be a very slight increase in speed. Not to mention those models have outdated graphics cards. So, rather than waste money trying to get a speed bump with an upgrade just buy a new machine. The G5's aren't any faster than the fastest G4's anyway until you get into the dual processor models according to Benchmark speed tests.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Originally posted by lewdvig
I had a duall 800 from Powerlogix in my sawtooth and it was AWESOME!

Take upgrade feedback with a grain of salt. On PC usergroups you get people complaining about X, Y or Z company for the same reasons. Its usually user error.

user error? I have never owned one to have an error with. I made that comment based on what I have read about powerlogix on accelerateyourmac.com. many people that buy them get them DOA. go there and see for yourself.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by Nermal
I wonder whether a G5-upgraded MDD would lose its OS 9 bootability? IIRC the G5 is backward-compatible with older code, and the only reason a G5 needs 10.2.7 is because of serial ATA etc.
It's more than the Serial ATA compatability. Also the second revision of the MDD (Firewire 800) will not boot OS 9 either.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
After thinking about it, the major reasons for me to go to a G5 would be the ability to add more than 2 GB of RAM to a system and of course faster processors.

Once all that gets replaced, I may as well get a new system and use my current Powermac for other things or maybe sell it.

A G4 Powermac should make a nice server.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by Bear
It's more than the Serial ATA compatability. Also the second revision of the MDD (Firewire 800) will not boot OS 9 either.

Bingo, FireWire 800 causes that G4 to not boot into OS 9. But if you upgrade a FW400 system (like mine) then there's a chance that it might work.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
Like the old Amiga upgrade cards, if they place the memory on the card itself (along with the CPU) it would see a good speed increase.

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
Hmm these upgrades never made much sense to me, most of the time, it is far cheaper to just go out and buy a newer faster mac with applecare. *sigh* however impossible it would be....G5 CUBES ;)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by Nermal
Bingo, FireWire 800 causes that G4 to not boot into OS 9. But if you upgrade a FW400 system (like mine) then there's a chance that it might work.
The machine would probably boot if you could hack it, but it would be extremely useful to you considering all the USB was moved off the KeyLargo onto a new location on the PCI bus.

aka, Nothing USB would work, since OS 9 is looking for USB responses from the old KeyLargo address space.

The FW800 is probably located at the same address space as the old FW400, so OS 9 would see the FW800 as FW400.

But removing the OS 9 boot process from the bootROM probably killed the OS 9 bootability. (aka, bootROM search/load for the (OS 9) ROM file in the blessed OS 9 partition to bootstrap the boot process -- missing)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
But if all you upgrade is the processor, then surely the USB would stay in the same (OS 9-compatible) place?

BTW, I realise that this is probably fruitless, and it probably won't work, I'm just interested in seeing everyone's reasons :)

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
perhaps when we see the g5 small enough to fit in a laptop we'll be able to make fast upgrades and memory chipsets that don't get too hot. like for the amigas.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by amnesiac1984
perhaps when we see the g5 small enough to fit in a laptop we'll be able to make fast upgrades and memory chipsets that don't get too hot. like for the amigas.
Amiga has production boards awaiting the PPC Amiga OS, but the OS4 is late (Q12003).

The hardware is already here for G4 (Mai's Artica Northbridge & Via South combo), and Mai Logic and Marvell have shown interest in producing Northbridge chips for the PPC 970.

But it will probably take them awhile for "official" announcements -- if they decide to make them.

Heck we may see some of the current Linux PPC vendors either wait or see vendors use Xilinx FPGAs to synthesize the Elastic-Bus interfaces and graft the PPC970 onto current PPC Northbridges (the 60x and MPXbus FSB). But it won't be very fast compared to a native Elastic-Bus Northbridge interfaces.

Of course IBM should have some PPC970 Northbridges available soon for general consumption.

---

So an uneducated SWAG would be single CPU PPC970 PowerLogix upgrade cards using Xilinx FPGAs.

McMike

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2003
Warsaw, Poland
Cube G5

How about the laptop G5 in the Cube? It could work! I mean they have to reduce power demand and heat for the PBs anyway so maybe somebody would do a Cube upgrade... I think I know what I will be dreaming about tonight :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.