Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APPLENEWBIE

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
The high desert, USA
So to summarize...

Same screen as macbook
About the same weight as a macbook
Same shape and general "look"(more or less) as macbook
Same keyboard (more or less) as macbook
No optical drive (unlike a macbook)
Slower processor than macbook (1.2 c2d... :eek:)
Less ram than most macbooks
WAY more expensive than a macbook
and it tries to run Windows Vista with a slow processor and 2gb ram (like a $450 netbook).

Nice going Dell!

On the other hand, Dell did go find a Ive-ish looking designer... and a plastic shipping container!

On the other, other hand, it would probably work fairly well as a hackintosh...

Until one of the big PC manufacturers can find a way out of the commodity Windows trap, stuff like this Dell are doomed in terms of making any headway in the market.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
You know, after looking at its features and such all I can think is, what really was the target? If it had come in much lower in price than the MBA I could understand. But higher base price for less features? Slower processor, slower memory, AND slower graphics?

What were they smoking?

This all sounds like they were aiming at the original MBA and just could not get out the door in reasonable time.

Wait, which Adamo thread is this???? :eek:
(kidding)

If this unit has the X4500MHD graphics, Vista will be bearable.

These specs are more for Windows 7, which should run just fine on this machine.

I'm running Windows 7 on an old Thinkpad X31 with a Centrino 1.3 and an old 4200RPM hard drive with 1 Gig of RAM, and an old ATI Radeon Pro Mobile 16 Meg video chip and it runs great...

UbuntuFu

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
The fact that it's black and aluminum just means that a BLACK MACBOOK PRO is possible. I want that!!

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
The fact that it's black and aluminum just means that a BLACK MACBOOK PRO is possible. I want that!!

Hasn't Apple been offering black anodized aluminum products (iPods) for a while now? I don't think anyone ever suggested that a black MBP wasn't possible (though I don't know what kind of costs it adds to anodize a shell the size of a MBP).

A black frame would certainly go better with that black glass bezel and black keyboard.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
Why would dell release a laptop the looks just like the neww macbooks (alsmost) and has a glass screen and a display port? Hmmm... whos tring to copy apple now after they would suposed to fail as a company?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Why would dell release a laptop the looks just like the neww macbooks (alsmost) and has a glass screen and a display port? Hmmm... whos tring to copy apple now after they would suposed to fail as a company?

:rolleyes:

While its obvious that Dell is copying the idea of the air (like thats hard to come up with really) the adamo couldnt be less apple-esque. The damn thing looks like a designer handbag, it doesnt share any of the minimalistic industrial looks that apple have down pat

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
With Dell's current track record the Adamo 9 inch will probably support a hackintosh but will end up costing over a thousand dollars and look like a lady's purse.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Maybe it'll use this CPU as well.

(kidding)

Hah! Watch it end up using something even worse :)

Speaking of 9 inch machines though, Lenovo had a very innovative concept machine about 2 years ago. Too bad they never ran with it. I'm not a big fan of machines that small, especially ones with keyboards, but it was quite forward thinking for it's time. I've attached 5 pictures showing it's innovations:

1. It was covered in leather and had a leather strap so that you didn't need a case for it.

2. When you took the strap off and folded it, the strap became a wireless mouse!

3. The hinge was designed so that when sitting on a desk the keyboard was slightly angled and the back end slightly raised to improve exhaust airflow.

4. The size was smaller than most netbooks, and this was before netbooks had even caught on.

5. The hinge could be rotated 360 degrees so that the machine could be used as a touch tablet.

Attachments

• 3351681290_2efef1ea3b.jpg
    3351681290_2efef1ea3b.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 3350858119_bb70b3565a.jpg
    3350858119_bb70b3565a.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 3351681436_249d8f01ef.jpg
    3351681436_249d8f01ef.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 3351681822_1673180a1d.jpg
    3351681822_1673180a1d.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 91
  • 3350858015_bbb44992c2.jpg
    3350858015_bbb44992c2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 96

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Hah! Watch it end up using something even worse :)

Speaking of 9 inch machines though, Lenovo had a very innovative concept machine about 2 years ago. Too bad they never ran with it. I'm not a big fan of machines that small, especially ones with keyboards, but it was quite forward thinking for it's time. I've attached 5 pictures showing it's innovations:

1. It was covered in leather and had a leather strap so that you didn't need a case for it.

2. When you took the strap off and folded it, the strap became a wireless mouse!

3. The hinge was designed so that when sitting on a desk the keyboard was slightly angled and the back end slightly raised to improve exhaust airflow.

4. The size was smaller than most netbooks, and this was before netbooks had even caught on.

5. The hinge could be rotated 360 degrees so that the machine could be used as a touch tablet.

Sony makes laptops in that form factor.

lyew

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
I just don't get it. Here we have a machine that has the processing power of a MacBook Air, in the casing about the size of a MacBook, and costs about the same as a 17" MacBook Pro???

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
What a fantastic post :

No matter how hard they try Dell and every other PC maker is trying to get that "cool" vibe Apple brings to the table. Pick any Movie or TV show in the past 12 months that has computers sitting around. It could be any number of generic PC makers or you see the Apple, plain and clear sitting on someone's desk. Hollywood has done as much as Apple to make their products cool and wanted by everyone.

I didn't notice it all that much until my wife mentioned it, then I started paying attention last fall and it was shocking how many Apple laptops are in shows. Apple has the great commerials, but their product logo is also in so many shows, it's like the non stop advertisement. The Apple logo sitting on so many desks, it's just something Dell can't buy no matter how many commercials they run, how thin they make a computer, or how much they try to compare themselves to Apple. Even people I run into from work who have never talked about computer or phone's mention something about a new phone (LG shine or whatever name) and always make a comparison to the iPhone. The fact they have clearly been imprinted by the media that the iPhone is the one to be measured against. Dell is no where near that type of name brand and asking this kind of money from Windows users who have come to expect their machines to be 50% of what Apple charges will be shocked to say the least.

Gunga Din

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Old Trafford
DELL's New Adamo Notebook ? blah.

http://www.adamobydell.com/

Thats the link to Dell's new notebook if anyone is interested. Base price is $1999. But I honestly don't see how or why you would pick this over the Air or even a MBP. Looks ok but the specs just don't seem to stack up.

Dell trying to compete with Air maybe? The sceen is a 13.3 HD 16:9. but other than that, seems very underpowered. They even offer a detached drive like the Air. Copycats !!

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
The back of that thing looks FUGLY. What's the point of having a thin notebook when there's a huge brick sticking out the back?:confused:

Plus, 1.2GHz C2D? Embarassing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.