Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoolBradG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
At this point, I’m nearly convinced that having made an in-app purchase in a TestFlight app with a real Apple ID used to log into the App Store in the past is what is causing this problem.

I reached out to 2 people who newly posted about this problem on Twitter today and both said they have done so. There’s too many people replying that they’ve also done so for this to be a coincidence. I know some people have said they haven’t, but I feel either they did a long time ago and forgot or they aren’t experiencing the same problem.

Myself I made an TestFlight in-app purchase 9 months ago and was not logged into the Sandbox account at the time this issue started, so if that is the cause it will likely eventually affect anyone who has ever done so in the past.
I also fall into this category. I did a TestFlight of an app about a year ago and purchased the "Pro" features.

tidalwav1

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2010
I can confirm that I am also having this issue and have also made a TestFlight in-app purchase in the past.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Actually in my case, it wasn’t just an TestFlight in-app purchase, but a subscription. I have no idea how that’s supposed to work.

I later installed the public version of the app and made a subscription (trial) purchase there as well. That was about a week before updates stopped working for me.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Just a warning to anyone who updated apps using iMazing. I’ve confirmed with the developers that it installs the full ipa, not the “thin” version.

I mentioned that previously. What I just found is that if you then offload the app, iOS won’t let you reinstall it. When I tried, I got a message telling me I need to open the App Store and purchase the app. The App Store had a stuck progress bar so I couldn’t do anything. I ended up deleting the app, YouTube, and then I could re-download it.

Ybot

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
Winnipeg, Canada
I am seriously shocked at how many people are having this issue and that Apple hasn’t posted anything about it, and that it’s taking this long to fix. Luckily I can keep testing apps on TestFlight. I just can’t update my day-to-day apps. Sigh. #appleupdatefail

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I just went back and checked. On Feb 16, 2019 I did a restore purchase in a TestFlight beta app (Tapatalk). It was on September 14, 2019 that I made an in-app subscription purchase in the same beta app to remove ads.

After that I installed the release version and noticed that the ads were still gone, so the subscription was still active. Early November, that subscription expired since the ads came back. On November 5, I did a trial subscription in the release version of the app.

On November 14, app updates stopped working.

Is there way of making a poll here? I’d really like to know how many people who can’t update apps at all:

1. Made an in app purchase in a TestFlight app sometime in the past and
2. Whether it was a one time purchase or a subscription.
3. Might as well through in, if it was a subscription, did you install the release version over the beta and keep the subscription benefits.

ashamam

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
+1 datapoint for using TestFlight and subscribing in the sandbox possibly related.

Up to 52 pending updates now.

+1 Testflight in app subscription. (for $0 just to simulate functionality) App hasn't released yet so no other version installed.

Prospekt

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
Have had this problem too these last days. Only beta testing 1 app on TestFlight currently (no in app purchases or anything). But 3ish years ago I was beta testing an app through TestFlight and made some in app purchases within that app (which no longer exists)

Ybot

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
Winnipeg, Canada
I am currently beta testing 13 apps. Some free, some with simulated one-time purchase and some with a simulated subscription. All under my Apple ID.

StasD

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
Here is what I picked from my iPad using Configurators' 'console':
appstored(InstallCoordination)[148] <Notice>: -[IXServerConnection _client_coordinatorWithUUID:didCancelWithReason:client:]_block_invoke: Messaged with uuid AD858676-663F-4966-932E-EEEF0069ADA6 to cancel with reason Error Domain=IXUserPresentableErrorDomain Code=1 "This app could not be installed at this time." UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=Could not install at this time., NSUnderlyingError=0x104c35500 {Error Domain=SSErrorDomain Code=13 "MZFairplay.sinftoolFailure_message" UserInfo={SSPurchaseErrorKeyShouldCancelPurchaseBatch=true, NSLocalizedDescription=MZFairplay.sinftoolFailure_message}}, NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=MZFairplay.sinftoolFailure_message, NSLocalizedDescription=This app could not be installed at this time.}; found 2 coordinators to cancel

And yes, I was also testing my own app with in-app purchases using TestFlight.

$1.2T company... lol

shidevil

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
Was speaking to a iTunes management representative for the iTunes store. His name is Dan. He has been working for apple for 15 years and have not seen such issue and my case was the first one. Initially he checked my account and said those "updates" application are not in my purchased for that account.

His workaround is to remove all the app and reinstalling it. However i showed him that if i logged into another itunes account and did an update, it prompted for that account password. He was puzzled and he have escalated the issue to the itunes engineering side.

He was being quite offensive as well and told me that the only way was to remove and reinstall. Apple service have become terrible.

#appleupdatefail

Ybot

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
Winnipeg, Canada
Was speaking to a iTunes management representative for the iTunes store. His name is Dan. He has been working for apple for 15 years and have not seen such issue and my case was the first one. Initially he checked my account and said those "updates" application are not in my purchased for that account.

His workaround is to remove all the app and reinstalling it. However i showed him that if i logged into another itunes account and did an update, it prompted for that account password. He was puzzled and he have escalated the issue to the itunes engineering side.

He was being quite offensive as well and told me that the only way was to remove and reinstall. Apple service have become terrible.

#appleupdatefail

Oh wow. That is really disappointing to hear. I was always impressed with Apple Support, but maybe because the last time I needed them iMac’s came in different colours and iBook was a laptop. I really hope someone at the senior levels of Apple sees this thread and the Twitter thread with hundreds of posts. #appleupdatefail

Twitter link:

shidevil

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
Oh wow. That is really disappointing to hear. I was always impressed with Apple Support, but maybe because the last time I needed them iMac’s came in different colours and iBook was a laptop. I really hope someone at the senior levels of Apple sees this thread and the Twitter thread with hundreds of posts. #appleupdatefail

Twitter link:

I saw the twitter post. I do hope someone in the senior level would come out and help. Because it's affecting many users. Anyone tried sending this issue to 9to5mac, idownloadblog, cnet, engadget etc?

Ybot

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
Winnipeg, Canada
I saw the twitter post. I do hope someone in the senior level would come out and help. Because it's affecting many users. Anyone tried sending this issue to 9to5mac, idownloadblog, cnet, engadget etc?

I sent this to Apple Insider, 9 to 5 Mac, iClarified, Cnet and TechCrunch. Never heard back from any of them. Although that was days and days ago before so many people were reporting it.

shidevil

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
I sent this to Apple Insider, 9 to 5 Mac, iClarified, Cnet and TechCrunch. Never heard back from any of them. Although that was days and days ago before so many people were reporting it.

That's sad man. Hope one of the apple news site will report this.

Ybot

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
Winnipeg, Canada
That's sad man. Hope one of the apple news site will report this.

I have a rather large connection pool in Silicon Valley on my LinkedIn (159 of them at Apple HQ). So I’ve drafted a post (it needs more editing that I will do tomorrow) to my colleagues in the biz.

I‘ll see what sort of response I get when I post it and report back here, barring any off-the-record requests. Who knows, it might help bring some awareness to this issue with the execs—and the poor way it is being handled in general by Apple.

#appleupdatefail

Dimtar

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
Just adding in, I also have the issue. I did an IAP earlier this year on a testflight only (at the time) app so that theory checks out for me.

adrian-hon

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
I'm having the same problem, and yes, I've bought IAPs and subscriptions via Testflight before. At first, restarting my iPad allowed me to temporarily download updates, but that no longer works and now it's infected all of my devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.