Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoolBradG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
I have an account associated with testflight, but I haven't used it for months. I ask, how can it be a testflight problem, if last week I updated it without problems, and from yesterday to today I already stopped doing it
It doesn’t matter how long ago you used TestFlight because I haven’t used it for almost a year now, nor do I still have it installed.

However, it seems that any Apple ID’s that ever used it are now glitched due to a programming error made by someone at Apple.

Vicko

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2014
Just want to add here that I have the same problem for about a week now. I'm not sure if I used in-app purchases in any testflight app but it's possible.

But I want to add that I had completely the same problem in late August this year. I spent a week talking with Apple support. At first they didn't know how to solve problem, but then they told me that problem was that I had too many devices linked to my Apple ID. I removed few devices, but it still didn't solve the problem.

After about 10-15 days while they were trying to solve the problem it magically fixed. They called me after few days to check give me update and they were surprised that everything worked normally.

I thought about calling Apple support again but I'm going on trip in two days so I honestly don't want to bother with that.

CoolBradG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
Just want to add here that I have the same problem for about a week now. I'm not sure if I used in-app purchases in any testflight app but it's possible.

But I want to add that I had completely the same problem in late August this year. I spent a week talking with Apple support. At first they didn't know how to solve problem, but then they told me that problem was that I had too many devices linked to my Apple ID. I removed few devices, but it still didn't solve the problem.

After about 10-15 days while they were trying to solve the problem it magically fixed. They called me after few days to check give me update and they were surprised that everything worked normally.

I thought about calling Apple support again but I'm going on trip in two days so I honestly don't want to bother with that.
If you’re willing, look in your Purchased section in the App Store and filter by “Not On This iPhone” to see if TestFlight is there. Mine shows I downloaded it back in May 2018.

Vicko

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2014
If you’re willing, look in your Purchased section in the App Store and filter by “Not On This iPhone” to see if TestFlight is there. Mine shows I downloaded it back in May 2018.
I don't see Testflight there ??‍♂️.

mfm77

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
NJ
Add me to the list of people having the same problem and getting the "Did you restart your phone?" treatment from Apple Support.

falkirk81

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
Newcastle, UK
I have the same issue, started the day iOS 13.2.3 released, I do use TestFlight however my partner doesn't, I have the issue and she doesn't. So likely it is the Testflight scenario that everyone has deduced already.

Was going to see if the Apple shop near me would investigate but if it is a server side issue then I am not sure if that would be helpful to call into an apple shop?

tosbsas

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
Lima, Peru
I had it yesterday with 17 apps being out to Update. I do have TestFlight installed. After using Apple Configurator for one app all the others started to Update fine

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I think there are plenty of people using TestFlight.

Yes, but how many TestFlight users have made purchases or subscriptions in TestFlight apps?

I’ve used TestFlight for several years, but didn’t make a purchase until a few months ago.

macinjosh9895

macrumors member
May 12, 2019
Nevada
I've been having this issue for a little over a week now. Yes I've used TestFlight to test apps and even test IAP's in those test apps. This all makes more sense.

I did find a work around that is working great for me. I'm using iMazing for app updates as I also use it for local backups on my Mac Pro because my internet isn't the most reliable at all times, and I like the convenience of saving a massive amount of time restoring my devices when I get a new one. But it works great for app updates because it downloads the full app on the computer first then pushes the update to the device.

stoopkidblues

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2014
Can we confirm we’re all running the same OS? My issue started after updating to 13.2.3 so possibly the update is to blame?

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Can we confirm we’re all running the same OS? My issue started after updating to 13.2.3 so possibly the update is to blame?

It’s not iOS. I have the problem on multiple devices including an Apple TV and an old iPhone 5s on iOS 12.4.3. Some people are reporting it also affects the Mac App Store, but I don’t have a Mac.

Reactions: stoopkidblues

falkirk81

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
Newcastle, UK
I have just used apple iOS configurator to, slowly, update all my apps on my iPhone X. Takes a lot longer than through the iOS software update mechanism but it does get there.

iosappdev

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
Any iOS devs that can check something?
It seems that the TestFlight installed apps are using the same bundle ID as the ones in the AppStore. This means it is in fact the same app and no beta/release candidate. So installing an app via TestFlight and then via AppStore it will result in replacing the same app.
Is this supposed to work that way??
Yes, this is the way it works. There is only one bundle ID for both apps and in fact the app you get via TestFlight and the app that you get from the App Store are the EXACT SAME app, with different digital signatures! You write the app, archive it, then submit it for internal testing via TestFlight distribution. The TestFlight review process is automated. When you are ready, you submit the already uploaded binary for review for beta testing or for "sale" in the App Store, where it receives more scrutiny. If the app is eventually approved, then it gets an appropriate App Store signature, but everything else about it is the same.

macinjosh9895

macrumors member
May 12, 2019
Nevada
I just went back and checked. On Feb 16, 2019 I did a restore purchase in a TestFlight beta app (Tapatalk). It was on September 14, 2019 that I made an in-app subscription purchase in the same beta app to remove ads.

After that I installed the release version and noticed that the ads were still gone, so the subscription was still active. Early November, that subscription expired since the ads came back. On November 5, I did a trial subscription in the release version of the app.

On November 14, app updates stopped working.

Is there way of making a poll here? I’d really like to know how many people who can’t update apps at all:

1. Made an in app purchase in a TestFlight app sometime in the past and
2. Whether it was a one time purchase or a subscription.
3. Might as well through in, if it was a subscription, did you install the release version over the beta and keep the subscription benefits.

1. Yes
2. One Time
3. Yes on install over beta, but had to re-buy the IAP's.

Also, the update loop affects my Mac App Store purchases as well.
[automerge]1574270671[/automerge]

No, not iOS. I had the problem on 13.2.2 and 13.2.3. Plus the Mac App Store too. This is definitely on Apple's side.

Reactions: stoopkidblues

Eternal Bliss

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2017
I have never made an IAP in TF--at least not one that resulted in a payment. I am running two apps in TF and have never run any other. I tried the IAP function in one of the apps to see whether IAPs were indeed disabled as the devs had said that they were. The process went as I would expect it to have done but skipped the payment section.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I have never made an IAP in TF--at least not one that resulted in a payment. I am running two apps in TF and have never run any other. I tried the IAP function in one of the apps to see whether IAPs were indeed disabled as the devs had said that they were. The process went as I would expect it to have done but skipped the payment section.

TF IAP aren’t supposed to be billed, so not being charged is expected. The “purchase” still requires an Apple ID associated with it.

The Sandbox and Production environments are supposed to be completely separate. I’m not sure what’s supposed to happen if the same Apple ID is used in both

limex67

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
I wish this problem would get front-page attention of MacRumors, 9To5Mac, etc. There have to be more people affected by this than just the users posting in this thread. ?

People have the power. User #appleupdatefail often and everywhere.

TabsAZ

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
The Sandbox and Production environments are supposed to be completely separate. I’m not sure what’s supposed to happen if the same Apple ID is used in both

Yeah that's exactly how it happened with mine - I remember logging in to make the IAP using my normal Apple ID - I didn't even understand at the time that this was creating a separate sandbox account.

Angelosgr

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
Yeah that's exactly how it happened with mine - I remember logging in to make the IAP using my normal Apple ID - I didn't even understand at the time that this was creating a separate sandbox account.
Indeed, it seems like the updates are handled as apps via TestFlight (sandbox) due to some admin tool/config change that determines what your ApplelD may download/update.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
On the phone with a senior adviser now. I was reluctant to call since I'm on 13.3 beta, and they always just blame it on the beta...but I thought I'd try anyway and at least get another report in. They are pretty much clueless and I'm surprised with the number of posts I've seen they haven't heard of this issue yet.

God I hate the hold music. Worse than that crap they're playing at Target now to try and stay "hip" and "relevant".

Okay their best answers were restore from backup, reset network setting, and of course...remove the beta. Ugh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.