Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Oxford

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
I can confirm that for the first time in over a week that I’m able to update apps again; it takes a few attempts but it does at least eventually work now. Thanks to everyone who helped bring this issue to Apple’s attention. And thank you to Apple for resolving this—sluggish as the resolution may have been.

kurisub

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2005
La Mesa,CA
Speaking of offloading apps, is there a way to disable offloading now that this nightmare is over? I don't seem to see any option to turn offloading off. On my phone I don't think it'll ever kick in since I have 256GB and I'm only using 50-ish. But space is lower on my iPad so I could see that kicking in once space get tighter.

Ybot

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
Winnipeg, Canada
Okay. It took a *lot* of tapping the Update button, but I managed to get every single pending app update, updated!

Pressing Update All didn’t work for me, so I had to do this one app at a time, but whatever, my apps are updated.

After I updated them all, I rebooted the phone to make sure they were updated and they are!

#AppleUpdateFail seems to be on the way out!

K3y

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2019
Seems to be working much better now.
I actually updated all my apps!
Feels nice.

Let’s hope the problem is solved for good this time.

kurisub

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2005
La Mesa,CA
Okay. It took a *lot* of tapping the Update button, but I managed to get every single pending app update, updated!

Pressing Update All didn’t work for me, so I had to do this one app at a time, but whatever, my apps are updated.

After I updated them all, I rebooted the phone to make sure they were updated and they are!

#AppleUpdateFail seems to be on the way out!
I just woke up my old iPhone 6 which had 180 apps pending update, and just hit update all and it's working, so you might just try update all now and see if it works.

CoolBradG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
I just updated about 70 apps between my two devices. Similar to others, I could only do a couple at a time and had to keep clicking update repeatedly and randomly to trigger them.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Update all is mostly working. Of 35 remaining updates on my iPad, it updated 33 of them. I had to retry for the remaining 2.

I already updated my iPhone and iPad.

So like in August it just started working after about a week. I guess we’re good till next time (I really hope there is no next time).

Speaking of offloading apps, is there a way to disable offloading now that this nightmare is over? I don't seem to see any option to turn offloading off. On my phone I don't think it'll ever kick in since I have 256GB and I'm only using 50-ish. But space is lower on my iPad so I could see that kicking in once space get tighter.

If you don’t want to offload apps automatically you can turn that off in the iTunes and App Store settings.

There’s no way to completely disable the ability to offload apps, but it’s nearly impossible to do accidentally.

Last edited:
Reactions: NicoMancinelli

TonySCV

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
Tried updating tonight and... it worked. First time since this entire ordeal began over a week ago. Every device, including my Mac and Apple TV all started working again.

FWIW, I had 2 calls with senior iTunes techs, and yesterday they grabbed a bunch of logs from my phone to send to engineering. I have not heard back from them tonight, but at least for now, it is working properly again.

If I do hear back, I’ll pass any info along.

mfm77

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
NJ
Working for my iPad but not for my iPhone X. I still get the spinning and partial updates for a few apps, even with two reboots of my phone. Maybe I'll just leave it overnight and see if they magically update by tomorrow morning.

EDIT: Of course, just as I posted, the iPhone app update count began dropping, lol.

TabsAZ

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
Definitely fixed completely now. Just updated all on 50+ apps on my iPad Pro and all updated without a hitch or having to hit it over and over.

TravelerHD

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
Finally able to update all of my apps. Hopefully it's a permanent fix that Apple has learned something from. It was fun hanging out with you guys! It's a shame that such unfortunate circumstances brought us together lol. But I'm grateful that I had you guys to relate to.

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
Success here too. 54 apps on my iPhone and 28 on my iPad. All done by hitting update all (well, tried one initially then just hit update all and it worked). Fingers crossed this issue is fixed once and for all ?

Reactions: Ybot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.