Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

K3y

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2019
If anything, I think most iOS tech bloggers use TestFlight to test apps (and related IAPs) they review, right?
So we have to “hope” some of them will be affected too, to get media coverage.

gfingerl

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2015
I just had a conversation with Apple Care. She recommended to delete the apps and reinstall it (which actually works). She meant, that the responsible Tech Team will not become active as long as this workaround exists.
And she was not really interested in this thread here

GoldenChild

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2014
On the phone with a senior adviser now. I was reluctant to call since I'm on 13.3 beta, and they always just blame it on the beta...but I thought I'd try anyway and at least get another report in. They are pretty much clueless and I'm surprised with the number of posts I've seen they haven't heard of this issue yet.

God I hate the hold music. Worse than that crap they're playing at Target now to try and stay "hip" and "relevant".

Okay their best answers were restore from backup, reset network setting, and of course...remove the beta. Ugh.
So being on the latest beta doesn’t help?

TabsAZ

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
I just had a conversation with Apple Care. She recommended to delete the apps and reinstall it (which actually works). She meant, that the responsible Tech Team will not become active as long as this workaround exists.

They can't seriously expect us to delete apps every time an update comes out.

vinz.sordid

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2015

Well it seems a bit stupid, we don’t want to lose all the data stored in the apps doing this. And we will have to do it again for every app update ?!
This is not a proper fix, not even a good workaround.

Michael Oxford

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019

Please be assured that Apple Engineering is aware of and actively working on this issue—as we speak. A resolution is expected shortly.

stoopkidblues

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2014
Yeah we the delete/reinstall is a workaround, but sucks to say the least because you lose all settings, etc. this has to be an Apple server side issue because it’s randomly starting for all of us.

Michael Oxford

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019

Attachments

• 28B145C5-75D3-4AD3-83D0-752775B1A30D.jpeg
    28B145C5-75D3-4AD3-83D0-752775B1A30D.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 192

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
So being on the latest beta doesn’t help?
Nope. Seems to be happening both on beta and release versions. But of course, when you mention beta iOS to Apple support they immediately assume it's the beta release causing the trouble. I'm not even sure they properly filed my report, it sounded to me like he was reporting a bug to the iOS beta team LOL.

Reactions: GoldenChild

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009

Color me skeptical. That respose from iTunes support seems like a generic we're investigating with engineering response as opposed to working on a specific problem response. Also iTunes support completely blew me off Monday stating they can only work on billing problems, which this is not.

For what it's worth, I found that iMazing can pull the iOS console logs on Windows so I installed the App Store logging profile and looked through the logs. I can see it is definitely using my Apple ID and I found my authenticatedAccountDSID, storeCorrelationID and I can see the purchase error code which I'm not going to post here as it contains account specific details which only shows up with the logging Profile is installed.

I can also see the same error everyone else who pulled the logs has reported:

<Error>: PurchaseOperation: [CCE577B0] Purchase finished with error: Error Domain=SSErrorDomain Code=13 "MZFairplay.sinftoolFailure_message" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=MZFairplay.sinftoolFailure_message}

Reactions: tidalwav1

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Reactions: v3lasco

shidevil

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
They can't seriously expect us to delete apps every time an update comes out.
That’s their work around and it’s blunt. That’s why we need media coverage. #appleupdatefail
[automerge]1574285095[/automerge]
Sebastien page was affected from idownloadblog. Hence the article is up. Hope MacRumors and more will come out soon

Ybot

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
Winnipeg, Canada
So it looks like a German blog site has picked up this story. I guess that's some progress.

https://www.iphone-ticker.de/zahlre...150005/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Translated to English:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.iphone-ticker.de/zahlreiche-apple-nutzer-melden-probleme-mit-app-updates-150005/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I can't believe I'm saying this, but has anyone tried to tip off Gordon Kelly at Forbes? This seems like something that's right up his alley.

I sent an email with a description of the problem, links to this thread and the large Twitter thread as well as the hashtag #AppleUpdateFail (so they could watch this unfold) to Tim Cook, Phil Schiller and one other exec at Apple who oversees Apple Support. No one responded, which doesn’t mean they didn’t read it. But after not even getting a “Thanks I’ll look into it” message (which is the typical sort of response I would get from them) I went on to send it to a bunch of media outlets.

Then today I found out Phil Schiller blocked me on Twitter! This is the first time (that I know of) that I’ve been blocked by someone on Twitter, and it was by Phil! Phil who’s contagious excitement always got me ramped up during a keynote. Kinda sad. I’m guessing one or more of the news orgs contacted him and they used my name. So it seems doing that didn’t endear me to Phil. Oh well, I wasn’t trying to manipulate Apple’s stock price, I was trying to cut through the mounds of red tape at the tech support levels and warn the executives before this issue blows up.

Regarding the media, I sent the same email to: Forbes (General mailbox), Brian Tong (formerly of Cnet), Mobile Syrup (Canadian tech site), iPhoneInCanada (also a Canadian tech site), Engadget, TechCrunch, AppleInsider, iClarified, 9to5 Mac, Cnet, New York Times Tech, The Verge, Recode, Mashable, Wired, Tech Radar, CNN Tech, CNBC Tech, Venture Beat, Digital Trends, NBC Tech, Unbox Therapy, René Ritchie, Leo Laporte, Fox News Tech, The Guardian Tech & ArsTechnica.

If I disappear it means I’m locked in a glass cube in the basement of Apple Park. ?

Last edited:

kurisub

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2005
La Mesa,CA
I sent an email with a description of the problem, links to this thread and the large Twitter thread as well as the hashtag #AppleUpdateFail (so they could watch this unfold) to Tim Cook, Phil Schiller and one other exec at Apple who oversees Apple Support. No one responded, which doesn’t mean they didn’t read it. But after not even getting a “Thanks I’ll look into it” message (which is the typical sort of response I would get from them) I went on to send it to a bunch of media outlets.

Then today I found out Phil blocked me on Twitter! This is the first time (that I know of) that I’ve been blocked by someone on Twitter, and it was by Phil! Phil who’s contagious excitement always got me ramped up during a keynote. Kinda sad. I’m guessing one or more of the news orgs contacted him and they used my name. So it seems doing that didn’t endear me to Phil. Oh well, I wasn’t trying to manipulate Apple’s stock price, I was trying to cut through the mounds of red tape at the tech support levels and warn the executives before this issue blows up.

Regarding the media, I sent the same email to: Forbes (General mailbox), Brian Tong (formerly of Cnet), Mobile Syrup (Canadian tech site), iPhoneInCanada (also a Canadian tech site), Engadget, TechCrunch, AppleInsider, iClarified, 9to5 Mac, Cnet, New York Times Tech, The Verge, Recode, Mashable, Wired, Tech Radar, CNN Tech, CNBC Tech, Venture Beat, Digital Trends, NBC Tech, Unbox Therapy, René Ritchie, Leo Laporte, Fox News Tech, The Guardian Tech & ArsTechnica.

If I disappear it means I’m locked in a glass cube in the basement of Apple Park. ?

You should add John Gruber to that list of people you were trying to get the story out to. comments@daringfireball.net

He's already brought up another recent story of a developer being locked out of his account. People at Apple do read Daring Fireball, so it wouldn't hurt to try contacting him about. Not sure if he's easier to get ahold of on twitter or through that email address.

v3lasco

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2016
So it looks like a German blog site has picked up this story. I guess that's some progress.

https://www.iphone-ticker.de/zahlre...150005/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Translated to English:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.iphone-ticker.de/zahlreiche-apple-nutzer-melden-probleme-mit-app-updates-150005/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I can't believe I'm saying this, but has anyone tried to tip off Gordon Kelly at Forbes? This seems like something that's right up his alley.

Gordon Kelly actually liked my post last night on Twitter.

Ybot

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
Winnipeg, Canada
You should add John Gruber to that list of people you were trying to get the story out to. comments@daringfireball.net

He's already brought up another recent story of a developer being locked out of his account. People at Apple do read Daring Fireball, so it wouldn't hurt to try contacting him about. Not sure if he's easier to get ahold of on twitter or through that email address.

Great idea! Thanks. I just sent him the same email as all the other news outlets.

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
Randomly right now I can update again.

I had the same problem the past few days too on my phone and ipad.. I'll check my ipad when I get home.

TravelerHD

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019

Thanks for reaching out to Daring Fireball and so many other outlets! I wish I had the passion to do that. I just feel so defeated by Apple's seeming lack of care and/or knowledge that I can't work up the determination to be very active about the whole situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.