Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PPC970FX

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2004
Well good that MSN for mac is not dead in MS eyes. If MS wanted Mac doomed cutting off MSN would be a big thing.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
MSN 5 has to pretty damn good to replace Adium. The thing is normal people don't usually go looking for a client from some small group. They go to microsoft.com and download what's available.

That being said, I truly hope the next version will be so much better the 4.x and 5.x can't be discussed on the same sentence.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
If they allowed us to do what you can do on msn messager for windows, I may consider the move from adium, have to try it out first.

SAukland

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2005
They're a little late to the brushed metal party. By the looks of Mail got Tiger, we may be on the way out of that tunnel. Perhaps not though.

Its good to see continued support. Didn't MSN Explorer mac support get dropped this year?

andrewm

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
I rated this negatively

I think that the interface shown is fine, but--open-source or not--it will not be as nice a licence as existing open-source products, I'm sure. If someone wants to put in multi-protocol support, for instance, can MS just stand by?

MS has killed IE for Mac since no one would want to use it over Safari or Firefox except for some very-limited ActiveX things (and maybe the scrapbook--anything else that I've missed?). MS would do better to do the same: licence the protocol 'officially' to Apple, sanctioning its use in iChat; maybe open-sourcing this will do, that, but I doubt it. If they are going to open source anything. If they have videoconferencing, I doubt that they will.

Some of those more versed with the law may be able to point something out that I've missed, but the article *is* a bit vague. In the meantime, suffice it to say that I'll generally take open standards for a protocol that I want to use over open-source for a programme that I don't. iChat plus Adium are one two many programmes already for what should be a fully-integrated experience.

mcarvin

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
Southern NJ
SAukland said:
Its good to see continued support. Didn't MSN Explorer mac support get dropped this year?

Back in mid-2003, right before or right after they announced no more standalone versions of IE would be released for Windows. It was 3 announcements from them at once - AOL renewing the IE license even though AOL owned Netscape/Mozilla, no more standalone IE's for Windows, and no more IE/Mac because of Safari.

It was cheesy - they cried "Apple is integrating the browser into the OS! No fair because we can't take advantage of that!" MS conveniently "forgot" that the browser != rendering engine.

And Adium doesn't consistently kick me off MSN after 5 minutes like MSN Messenger does. And Messenger 5 is nowhere even remotely close to feature-parity with the Window's version.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
mcarvin said:
And Adium doesn't consistently kick me off MSN after 5 minutes like MSN Messenger does. And Messenger 5 is nowhere even remotely close to feature-parity with the Window's version.
I hope messenger 5 is a good release - I actually prefer to use MSN messenger than Adium - something about that program doesn't sit right with me.

Though of course the best thing would be iChat with integrated MSN!!

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
ITS ABOUT [expletive deleted] TIME!! i hate aduim, the one thing its supposed to do, it doesn't do correctyly, half the time i don't even recieve the messages that are sent to me, and also i get a ton of "unknown conversation error"' s i've been using MSN mac for a while now because of this, and i can't stand either of them, i'm starting to use teh phone more and more :)

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
hob said:
I hope messenger 5 is a good release - I actually prefer to use MSN messenger than Adium - something about that program doesn't sit right with me.

Though of course the best thing would be iChat with integrated MSN!!

dude, i dunno if you've seen this yet, but take a look at:

http://allforces.com/2005/05/06/ichat-to-msn-through-jabber/

it's a bit of a pain in the ass to set up, but with tiger it's now do-able :)

Jun 24, 2004
the funny thing is, msn 7 for pc has now has MSN music store links on the name of the song that your buddy is listening to and shows your buddys display pic next to their screen name in the contact list.

now where have i seen that before :rolleyes:

microsoft cannot borrow ideas form ichat have give hardly anything back to mac os x. apple need to start getting more patents.

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
asif786 said:
dude, i dunno if you've seen this yet, but take a look at:

http://allforces.com/2005/05/06/ichat-to-msn-through-jabber/

it's a bit of a pain in the ass to set up, but with tiger it's now do-able :)

Yeah but really, iChat in my opinion ...sucks. It has very little features, and it looks terrible. With a jabber account you are so limited, it basically allows you to chat and that is it, no video/audio. I just use Adium..i think it is really cool, and so customizable. But my bro still like to use MSN, so he will be happy about the new MSN 5.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
swissmann said:
Just make iChat compatible with all the others and then who cares about messenger updates.
We all wish this was the case, but practicalities get in the way:

Yahoo and MSN probably don't want to open their networks to Apple's iChat.
Open-source developers that have already solved this problem refuse to cooperate with Apple unless they open-source iChat, which Apple refuses to do for AOL's sake and their own.

Anyway, I've pretty much abandoned all chats other than iChat and IRC, so a new MSN Messenger release is of zero interest to me.

guifa

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2002
Auburn, AL
wrldwzrd89 said:
We all wish this was the case, but practicalities get in the way:

Yahoo and MSN probably don't want to open their networks to Apple's iChat.
Open-source developers that have already solved this problem refuse to cooperate with Apple unless they open-source iChat, which Apple refuses to do for AOL's sake and their own.

Anyway, I've pretty much abandoned all chats other than iChat and IRC, so a new MSN Messenger release is of zero interest to me.
Oh really? You *do* know that Proteus' developer was hired by Apple, right? And I know for a fact that several other programmers on the current multi-protocol chat programs for OS X are *current* Apple employees (though, granted, most don't actually work in the iApps deptartment).

Apple has the knowledge, the skill, and the man power, but they are not doing it for other reasons, whatever those may be.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
guifa said:
Oh really? You *do* know that Proteus' developer was hired by Apple, right? And I know for a fact that several other programmers on the current multi-protocol chat programs for OS X are *current* Apple employees (though, granted, most don't actually work in the iApps deptartment).

Apple has the knowledge, the skill, and the man power, but they are not doing it for other reasons, whatever those may be.
No, I was not aware of any of that. Thanks for enlightening me, though! That being the case...I'm as stumped as you are.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
Both Yahoo and MSN IM for OSX has so far proven to be harshly scaled down versions of the Windows version, so why both at all. We will never get anything close to what Windows users get. I agree with previous posters that argued for making iChat compatible with the other services.
Can it really be that hard?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I don't use IM a lot, but when I do MSN suits my needs just fine. I'll be downloading this update once it is released and am looking forward to the new features.

MSN and Office are the only MS pieces of software I have on my Mac! (Hmm, and I think IE might still be kicking around in my Apps folder, never used it though...)

SAukland

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2005
Dr.Gargoyle said:
Both Yahoo and MSN IM for OSX has so far proven to be harshly scaled down versions of the Windows version, so why both at all. We will never get anything close to what Windows users get.

Unfortunately, it seems as though the mac versions of all the messenger clients are crap-tastic mini versions. Yahoo is a joke. MSN is dismal at best. And the only one I regularly use is AIM, which I had crash about 20 times in one week. Apple makes the widgets... the messenger developers shouldn't be.

So, here I am with Adium, that doesn't even direct connect.

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
multi-protocol

If it doesn't include video i don't see it as a big step, i use Fire it doesn't have video either but connects to MSN , AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, ICR etc

poundsmack

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
ummmmmm.....thats cool and al that thye may port over version 5......buit arnt they on like version 7 or something......why do we get old technology?

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
I use aMSN ... it's the linux version ported to mac os X

it's my understanding that .. the differences in communication protocols are the reason mac MSN doesn't have video

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.