Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I use it regularly. Aside from it not having all of the features of the Windows-based MSN Messenger, the only real complaint I have with it is that it's VERY prone to getting disconnected from the service... and unlike the Windows version, it will not automatically reconnect.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm using Messenger right now and it's working well, especially with Chinese and Japanese. There are times when it slows down but it isn't always.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
I'll paraphrase something I read in another forum:

"The only way Microsoft could make anything that doesn't suck is if they were in the vacuum cleaner business."

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
Hiya
is there a way i can rename my contacts?
when my contacts are offline their name is what it was a few weeks ago, then when they sign in its a new name, then when they go offline it goes back to the old one :confused:

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
clayj said:
I use it regularly. Aside from it not having all of the features of the Windows-based MSN Messenger, the only real complaint I have with it is that it's VERY prone to getting disconnected from the service... and unlike the Windows version, it will not automatically reconnect.
That's the main reason why I'm not using it anymore, it just kept on disconnecting, and file transfers were a nightmare. My friend at uni has the same problem on his eMac.
2nyRiggz said:
is anyone using the new messenger? adium still in use here and i see no reason to use the new messenger....until video chat or adium adds that in
Yup I've switched to Adium. never thought I would but messenger was just getting far too frustrating. For a program that should just sit there and easily do its job it was just too much to bother with for what you get out of it. I quite like Adium now. If Microsoft made messenger more reliable i would probably switch back, I'm not sure. If they put all the Windows features in I definately would.

If Microsoft can't/won't make the Mac version as good as the Windows version then why can't Adium etc try?

charismaG4

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2005
Kent, UK
Hi all,

I am so glad I found this thread. I am a new Mac user and made the switch to an ibook just over a month ago after years of using Windoze. This MSN 5.0 problem has been driving me insane.

I think my favourite has to be the funky stars I see! When there are a few exclamation marks in the text some of them end up with purple stars above them!

But otherwise I suffer all the other problems and one where all is good til i click on a button such as the mail icon, or to chat to someone at which point it dumps me out. I too am on a network with Windoze users - therefore no network problems causing it.

Anyhow, I'm new here so want to say hi, and hopefully I'll be participating in the future. :)

moonislune

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2005
Finally

Tried Mercury. Very ncie although the steps to get it setup to work with MSN video conference could be a little simplified. Finally! Video conference to MSN and maybe even sound. Come on Apple, make a Windows version of Ichat please!

Lazyhound

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
moonislune said:
Come on Apple, make a Windows version of Ichat please!
The Windows version of AIM works with iChat for video (one-on-one, at least).

And I'm going to vouch for Mercury, I've been beta-testing it for a while. The latest release candidate for version 1710 now has full-speed webcam support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.