Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tikibangout

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
TGM85 said:
Strange, when I tried that it displayed an ugly "IMWARNING" text where the warning normally goes... anyway, nice that you managed to remove it completely!

Are you sure you didn't remove the whole thing? Just remove the text in the quotes, and leave the quotes in there. It should work.

It should read:

/* IM warning message */
IMWarning = "";

Thats what mine is.

TGM85

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2005
tikibangout said:
Are you sure you didn't remove the whole thing? Just remove the text in the quotes, and leave the quotes in there. It should work.

It should read:

/* IM warning message */
IMWarning = "";

Thats what mine is.

D'oh :D You're right.. works like a charm!

tikibangout

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Is there any way to change the location that it saves the Microsoft User Data folder? It currently locates itself in Documents, and when I move it somewhere else, whenever I use MM5 it comes back to Documents.

cloud 9

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2004
Belgium
well my msn messenger always disconnected after 2 minutes, so i mailed microsoft and they were kind enough to send me a list with things that could have gone wrong...after i've tried all these issues it's still disconnecting after 2 minutes, so i'm gonna stick with Adium. But maybe it's helpful for someone, so here is the list from the mail.

Your issue can be caused by a lot of factors. As per our experience, the most common causes of this issue are the following:

- The MSN Messenger Service is experiencing service or maintenance issues.
- You are behind a firewall that does not allow full access to the MSN Messenger application.
- Your router has an outdated firmware.
- You are connecting to the Internet from a local network.
- Too much running applications is using up the system resources or bandwidth on your machine.
- A spyware/adware software is installed on your machine.
- A third-party add-in application for MSN Messenger is installed on your machine.

To help you with your concern, kindly try the following suggestions:

1. Kindly visit http://messenger.msn.com/Status.aspx to determine the .NET Messenger Service status.

2. If you are behind a firewall that does not allow full access to the MSN Messenger application add MSN Messenger for Mac through the firewall exception list.

a. Select "System Preferences" from the Apple desktop menu to open the System Preferences window.
b. Click on Sharing and in the Sharing window, click on Firewall
c. Click on New and choose MSN Messenger from the list of applications.

3. If you are using a router, make sure you have the latest firmware from your router manufacturer. You may also want to add your computer's local Internet protocol (IP) address to the router's demilitarized zone (DMZ) setting. For more information, review your router documentation.

4. If you connect to the Internet from a local network, you might need to enable proxy settings that can connect you to Web servers outside of your organization's firewall. Verify the proxy settings you need to use with your network administrator. You must be signed out of Microsoft Messenger for Mac to change your proxy settings.

a. On the Messenger menu, click "Preferences", click "Accounts", and then click the "Personal" tab.
b. Under "My Network Settings", click "Manually configure settings", and then select the "I use a proxy server" check box.
c. On the "Type" pop-up menu, click the type of proxy server you are connecting to.
d. In the "Server" box, enter the address of your proxy server, omitting the "http://" prefix.
e. Enter additional settings, such as a port number in the "Port" box, or when using SOCKS Version 5.0 as the proxy type, a user name and password in the boxes labeled "User Name" and "Password".

5. There are several running applications that are using up the system resources or bandwidth of your machine. I recommend that you:

a. Close other programs and Web applications running.
b. Close the conversation window, then sign out of MSN Messenger. Wait for several minutes, sign in and send instant messages again.

6. There are spyware/adware and other deceptive software that conduct certain activities on your computer without notifying you and getting your permission first. These activities may include displaying pop-up advertisements, changing Web browser settings, and collecting personal information. There are a variety of tools that can detect and remove unwanted software from your computer. Please go to: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/internet_utilities/, to download spyware detection and removal tools.

7. There are third-party add-in applications in your computer that causes the MSN Messenger application to suffer degraded performance and varying degrees of unstable operation. In order to experience the best performance with MSN Messenger, you should uninstall third-party MSN Messenger add-in applications you have installed. For instructions on how to uninstall the application, contact the third-party add-in vendor.

You are valuable at MSN and we look forward to providing you with consistent and effective service.

cloud 9

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2004
Belgium
DarkNetworks said:
lol..u guys actually emailed Microsoft?

hahaha, yes i really wanted it to work.

But after i tried the whole list, it still disconnects...too bad 'cuz for some occasions I would like to use msn, eg. see who still has me added in his msn. I don't think i can do that with Adium

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
DarkNetworks said:
lol..u guys actually emailed Microsoft?
Yep, someone's gotta tell Microsoft what a bad job they have done, otherwise they'll keep dishing out the rubbish!

Plus I'm an optimist! hehe! :rolleyes:
Ah well, it was worth a shot, eh!

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
Gil_Grissom said:
Yep, someone's gotta tell Microsoft what a bad job they have done, otherwise they'll keep dishing out the rubbish!

The problem is that the people at Microsoft never listens...

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2005
UK
Everytime I log on to MSN it randomly selects a profile pic. Is there a way I can retain the pic I had when I signed off??

.Joel

macrumors member
May 10, 2005
MSN 5 = Complete Rubbish

I have been using Adium, so I tried MSN 5 for Mac. Guess what... It is YET to remain signed in for more then a 4 hour period. Overnight, I woke up this morning to check messages, nothing, I was signed out.

How is it that a 3 party product can utilise their services better then a product designed by their own company ? ludicrous!

Regards,

.Joel

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
guys, if want to stick with the msn client.. stick with the 4.0.1 version.. no probs as of late with that one.. :)

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
evil gate's plans

there are three possible explanations for this.

1. the messenger developers for mac have been specifically selected by bill gates himself, who looks for the "i hate mac" personality. then, gives them the job of developing software for the company they hate. guess the result.

there must be an ad like this: "we are looking for developers to create msn for mac but have no interest in the company. the requirements are: hates the company, unable to create any 5-minuete stabe program, have no interst in innovation, only types when they sleeps, and loves to see apple fall. "

2. logically, bill gates have no part of this and the developers just have no passion at all and already have all the requirements from the 1st explanation. microsoft dosen't give a SHT though because they like it that way.

3. these developers do have the passion for building good programs for mac. however, bill gates sets secret MAJOR limits like "your program cannot be higher than 1/10th quality of our windows products," " you cannot build a bug-less software," "your products cannot have this 23 page-ful list of features" and all these limits so they can only produce things like this today.

the developers for mac are dogs on a short chain-spiked leash. if they try to move anywhere, they will be hurt. they can't do much, or they will be fired, and microsoft will just have willing replacements on their way to make it look like nothing happened.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
steelfist said:
there are three possible explanations for this.

1. the messenger developers for mac have been specifically selected by bill gates himself, who looks for the "i hate mac" personality. then, gives them the job of developing software for the company they hate. guess the result.

there must be an ad like this: "we are looking for developers to create msn for mac but have no interest in the company. the requirements are: hates the company, unable to create any 5-minuete stabe program, have no interst in innovation, only types when they sleeps, and loves to see apple fall. "

2. logically, bill gates have no part of this and the developers just have no passion at all and already have all the requirements from the 1st explanation. microsoft dosen't give a SHT though because they like it that way.

3. these developers do have the passion for building good programs for mac. however, bill gates sets secret MAJOR limits like "your program cannot be higher than 1/10th quality of our windows products," " you cannot build a bug-less software," "your products cannot have this 23 page-ful list of features" and all these limits so they can only produce things like this today.

the developers for mac are dogs on a short chain-spiked leash. if they try to move anywhere, they will be hurt. they can't do much, or they will be fired, and microsoft will just have willing replacements on their way to make it look like nothing happened.
A harsh but possible reality. I think Microsoft are really missing out on a market here, I think this is very bad business.

True they seem to get Office right. I've never had a problem with it and I think that most Mac users (correct me if I'm wrong here!) have it, or use it at some point somewhere on a Mac. They see this as a great market, and a good strong product against possible would-be competitors, such as iWorks etc. I think they should really expand this thinking form Office to all their Mac products, and apply the same "want to rule the world" ethos they appear to have for Office and Windows. That may sound bad, but at least it would make them give a dam about their Mac software.
What are they afraid of...a little competition?!?! hehe! (what...from Apple??? surely not??!! hehe! :rolleyes: )

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
You guys aren't serious I hope. If you are, check yourself into a hospital.

MSN for Mac isn't the greatest for the same reasons none of the other official IM programs aren't that good, and have always been a step behind the Windoze version.

You can't say Microsoft has a vendetta against Apple so they make a ****** MSN. If Microsoft wanted to hurt Apple they would make Office a few years behind the Windoze version.

For Mac, there are better MSN alternatives such as Proteus, and Adium. Why people even bother with MSN 5 is beyond me when Proteus and Adium do everything MSN 5 can, plus its skin-able and has tabbed messaging just to name a few.

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
i was just fusturated that's all. but, my main problem is: if macsoft can produce a full featured unreal tournament 2004, and adobe can release photoshop creative suite 2 with all features, why can't the almighty microsoft release something that's even stable?

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
Does anyone know how big the Macintosh Business Unit is at Microsoft?

Maybe they give this project a very limited number of resources, or new / junior staff?

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
rickvanr said:
You guys aren't serious I hope. If you are, check yourself into a hospital.

MSN for Mac isn't the greatest for the same reasons none of the other official IM programs aren't that good, and have always been a step behind the Windoze version.

You can't say Microsoft has a vendetta against Apple so they make a ****** MSN. If Microsoft wanted to hurt Apple they would make Office a few years behind the Windoze version.

For Mac, there are better MSN alternatives such as Proteus, and Adium. Why people even bother with MSN 5 is beyond me when Proteus and Adium do everything MSN 5 can, plus its skin-able and has tabbed messaging just to name a few.
Yes I know. But other IMs on the Mac platform shouldn't be the factor of Microsoft choosing not to simply make their normal Windows version of messenger Mac compatible. Like Steelfist said, everyone else like Adobe can do it, why can't the big bad Microsoft? They should do the same as what they did with Office It makes sense to have full feature compatibility on all platforms, regardless of what other IM platforms are like on the Mac. Someone needs to do it if Microsoft isn't.

I don't know how big the Mac business unit is, but its big enough to do a pretty dam good job on Office.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Delete Hotmail Account from Sign-In Box (Messenger 5 Mac)

Hello. I am new to this forum so please excuse me if I am posting this in the wrong place.

I downloaded Microsoft Messenger 5 yesterday when I received my new Mac Mini, and I typed in my e-mail address wrongly, and it is now in the drop down box (Petty, I know..) But is there any way to remove it? Please please help me!

I have gone to "Show Package Contents" and I don't really know what to edit from here. Thanks in advance!

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
josh.thomas said:
Hello. I am new to this forum so please excuse me if I am posting this in the wrong place.

I downloaded Microsoft Messenger 5 yesterday when I received my new Mac Mini, and I typed in my e-mail address wrongly, and it is now in the drop down box (Petty, I know..) But is there any way to remove it? Please please help me!

I have gone to "Show Package Contents" and I don't really know what to edit from here. Thanks in advance!
If you go into Messenger preferences, then select the Account tab, you can change the email address to the right one. See if this does what you want!
Hope this helps! :)

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Grissom: Thanks for the reply. Yes, this does change my address - however the address is in the drop-down box on the sign-on screen - this is what I want to get rid of, the other users address?

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
josh.thomas said:
Grissom: Thanks for the reply. Yes, this does change my address - however the address is in the drop-down box on the sign-on screen - this is what I want to get rid of, the other users address?
Ah ok, I see your point! I can't find where to do it if it can be done. I know you can do it on the Windows version, but thats because of the .net accounts being intergrated with Windows more. Hmmm....I'll carry on looking into it and let you know if I strike gold! :)

EDIT: Have you tried uninstalling messenger and reinstalling? (Something tells me it will still remember the email address in the list, but worth a shot!!) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.