Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
josh.thomas said:
Grissom: Thanks for the reply. Yes, this does change my address - however the address is in the drop-down box on the sign-on screen - this is what I want to get rid of, the other users address?

Stab in the dark:

Do a Spotlight search for the incorrect email address that you entered. You just might find this address hidden in a preference file somewhere on your Mac. If you do, close Messenger, back up the pref file to your desktop, then delete it. Open the app back up and see whether or not your problem is solved.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
thequicksilver said:
Stab in the dark:

Do a Spotlight search for the incorrect email address that you entered. You just might find this address hidden in a preference file somewhere on your Mac. If you do, close Messenger, back up the pref file to your desktop, then delete it. Open the app back up and see whether or not your problem is solved.

That would be good except for the fact that Spotlight doesn't index the information inside .plist files, but he might as well search for the messenger .plist and take a look inside.
-Chase

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
rendezvouscp said:
That would be good except for the fact that Spotlight doesn't index the information inside .plist files, but he might as well search for the messenger .plist and take a look inside.
-Chase

It certainly does here, just tried it.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
thequicksilver said:
It certainly does here, just tried it.

It certainly doesn't, I just tried it... I took opened com.apple.CoreImageFunHouse.app.plist and copied one of the strings into Spotlight, to no avail. Have you forced Spotlight to index .plist files or something along those lines? It does not index the inside of a .plist file by default.
-Chase

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Microsoft e-mailed me with a fix!

This is amazing, Microsoft e-mailed me and helped me, amazing! lol.. The rep. for them said...

"Hello Josh,

Thank you for writing to MSN Messenger Technical Support.

My name is Jennifer and from what I read in your message, you want to delete an account from the drop-down list on the Messenger sign in screen.

This feature is not available in the current version of Messenger. However the user can follow these steps to delete the multiple e-mail address list by deleting the Messenger preferences file from their own folder:

Go to the <current user folder>\library\preferences\microsoft\com.Microsoft.Messenger.plist

Note: Deleting this file will remove any Messenger General preference settings a user may have defined such as the Display name, Display Picture, emoticon settings etc."

And best of all, it WORKED! Amazing! This is brilliant! :) :p :D

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
josh.thomas said:
This is amazing, Microsoft e-mailed me and helped me, amazing! lol.. The rep. for them said...

"Hello Josh,

Thank you for writing to MSN Messenger Technical Support.

My name is Jennifer and from what I read in your message, you want to delete an account from the drop-down list on the Messenger sign in screen.

This feature is not available in the current version of Messenger. However the user can follow these steps to delete the multiple e-mail address list by deleting the Messenger preferences file from their own folder:

Go to the <current user folder>\library\preferences\microsoft\com.Microsoft.Messenger.plist

Note: Deleting this file will remove any Messenger General preference settings a user may have defined such as the Display name, Display Picture, emoticon settings etc."

And best of all, it WORKED! Amazing! This is brilliant! :) :p :D
Superb! Nice work, you and Microsoft!
I take it they responded pretty quickly too, the the exact thing first time?!
There is hope!
Now, just wait for them to release the fixes to all the other bugs in it now! One small step at a time! :p :)
Glad your problem is now solved!

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Hmm I still wish that MS would release a more functional version of the client with their next point refresh... if there is any.

I just don't understand why their non-professional software is so skimpy when it comes to the Mac.

Lazyhound

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
Are there any guides to modifying MSN5 out there? It would be nice to get rid of the Corporate tab and add in a couple extra personal ones.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Second Microsoft Support Response!

I've got a second email back from Microsoft about the problem and they blame it on some sort of rogue registry entry when installing and recommend to uninstall totally, delete all the preferences and to reinstall it again. It took me a while to translate it, as the emails from Microsoft are totally void of paragraphs and appropriate spaces, with the occasional "!" entered into the middle of a word for good measure!!
Makes in!teresting readin g whe!n anemai!l is w r itten like th!is. :p

They included how to do the uninstall delete and reinstall on most operating systems, Windows and Mac, and for past versions of messenger, so it took me a time to filter through just to find the steps for Mac OS X and Messenger 5! So I'm guessing this could have been some solution already put down and they've copied and pasted it all into the email or something, or have covered it all for good measure.

Anyhoo, I've done as it has informed (ever optimistic remember!!) and so far its ok, but then I didn't get any problems before until I was a few days/weeks into using it, so time will tell!!
I include the Mac OS X steps they included in the email in the hope it can perhaps help some of you with the same problems. Worth a try! I've tried to make it more legible:
Microsoft Support Email
Mac OS X (MSN Messenger for Mac version 5.0):
a. Delete the Messenger for Mac application file from your computer.
b. Delete any Messenger for Mac Preferences file from the Microsoft folder in the Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/Microsoft folder as well as the following Messenger Preference files: - com.microsoft.AlertsDaemon.plist - com.microsoft.Messenger.plist - com.microsoft.MessengerDaemon.plist - Microsoft Messenger User Cache
c. Delete the followin! g Messenger folders in the Users/YourUserName/Documents/Mi crosoft User Data folder: - MSN Messenger History - Messenger Corporate History - Microsoft Messenger Data - Messenger Corporate Data To install MSN Messenger for Mac:
1. Click on the MSN Messenger for Mac version that can support your current Mac operating system. - MSN Messenger v5.0 for Mac = Mac OS 10.3 or higher: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downlo...ownload.xml&secid=35&ssid=27&flgnosysreq=True
I'm glad I didn't have to do this for Windows as you have to go into the registry and delete and modify the strings manually! (which is just frustrating!)

EDIT: OK, the problems return!! It didn't work! :mad: ***puts hands over ears to block out the "told you so" shouting***

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
Amy2005 said:
How do u get MSN 5 so u can recive files? i've emailed msn people and their help didnt work. i can send them but not recieve them. :confused:
can anyone help please?

Do you have a firewall switched on or summat? 6891-6900 are the ports you need opening! Good luck :)

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Soo... Messenger 5 on a clamshell in 800x600 resolution has really large windows, but it hasn't crashed... too often.

I do get random disconnects, but hopefully that will be fixed in 5.1/5.5/6.0 which will include webcam, voice, winks, and everything else that is in 7.5.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
im_to_hyper said:
Soo... Messenger 5 on a clamshell in 800x600 resolution has really large windows, but it hasn't crashed... too often.

I do get random disconnects, but hopefully that will be fixed in 5.1/5.5/6.0 which will include webcam, voice, winks, and everything else that is in 7.5.
Your like me then...ever hopeful!! :)

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
J@ffa said:
Do you have a firewall switched on or summat? 6891-6900 are the ports you need opening! Good luck :)

I had my firewall (the one that you set up in System Preferecnes and Sharing) turned on and enabled 'MSN Messenger' but that didn't work so I turned of my firewall and it still dosen't work. I'm not sure how to open up certain ports lol.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
MSN5...it just crashes here...
so I stick with Mercury... was & still is more like the Windows version of msn...
Microsoft stop making lesser versions for apple... its in your benefit anyway :p (like they care... we still don't use windows so we're still BAD people :p)

super mini (mac

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2005
UK, ENGLAND
msn for mac is plank!!!

msn 5 is realy poor

i used to have windows xp which famously crashed, and it had msn 7.? they have now released a 7.5 for pc, which will have cam and anything you wish,

why do non pc/virtual pc users have to suffer with the plank material thats called msn 5 for mac, realy what is the point

im looking to buy another computer (laptop) and i realy want an iBook but may settle for windows becuase of this, (i use msn a great deal)

this i do not wish to do. so i will wait untill it is sorted.

by the way who writes msn for mac exactly is it souly microsoft or do apple have some input?

RoxStrongo

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2005
Bournemouth, UK
super mini (mac said:
msn 5 is realy poor

i used to have windows xp which famously crashed, and it had msn 7.? they have now released a 7.5 for pc, which will have cam and anything you wish,

why do non pc/virtual pc users have to suffer with the plank material thats called msn 5 for mac, realy what is the point

im looking to buy another computer (laptop) and i realy want an iBook but may settle for windows becuase of this, (i use msn a great deal)

this i do not wish to do. so i will wait untill it is sorted.

by the way who writes msn for mac exactly is it souly microsoft or do apple have some input?

yes of course msn (sorry microsoft messenger, in case we forgot) for mac is a poor excuse and there is a very good reason for this. the very reason you have pointed out in your post. ms hopes it can sell its operating system on the basis of a chat client. a client that has become bloated with pointless features on the windows platform. i can't stand the osx version and was being constantly booted from the system. i am happy to use the protocol however through a different client such as adium. explore your options before you let them win.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
RoxStrongo said:
ms hopes it can sell its operating system on the basis of a chat client. a client that has become bloated with pointless features on the windows platform.
Hehe...sounds so funny doesn't it!! What poor business practice. It's not like MSN is the most popular chat protocol either.
RoxStrongo said:
i am happy to use the protocol however through a different client such as adium. explore your options before you let them win.
Absolutely!

Strangely enough my file transfers are very spooky. A friend was sending me some funny pictures, most of them came ok, but one was a stab at Microsoft (one of those keyboards with just ctrl, alt+del on it!) and messenger refused point blank to receive it! It started and then the program would actually shut down completely!! Every single time!! Every other picture that didn't take a stab at Microsoft was sent ok! How scarey is that!

super mini (mac

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2005
UK, ENGLAND
and i thought it was just me!

Gil_Grissom said:
Hehe...sounds so funny doesn't it!! What poor business practice. It's not like MSN is the most popular chat protocol either.

Absolutely!

Strangely enough my file transfers are very spooky. A friend was sending me some funny pictures, most of them came ok, but one was a stab at Microsoft (one of those keyboards with just ctrl, alt+del on it!) and messenger refused point blank to receive it! It started and then the program would actually shut down completely!! Every single time!! Every other picture that didn't take a stab at Microsoft was sent ok! How scarey is that!

i have encounterd all these problems using msn for mac 5, somtimes it just logs me out, some days it boots me off safari (can only be msn coas it only hapens when msn is active) it wont always recieve files sent to me, and if i slag msn off it comes back 5 mins later saying, " cant send ........" even places my mates state as off line, several times have i chatted to my mates and all of a suddent it says" ..... is off line" but im still talkin to them and it doesnt happen with there other friends. and other strange things have happend too, i thought it was just the softwere on my mac not loaded properly or somthing like that.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
super mini (mac said:
i have encounterd all these problems using msn for mac 5, somtimes it just logs me out, some days it boots me off safari (can only be msn coas it only hapens when msn is active) it wont always recieve files sent to me, and if i slag msn off it comes back 5 mins later saying, " cant send ........" even places my mates state as off line, several times have i chatted to my mates and all of a suddent it says" ..... is off line" but im still talkin to them and it doesnt happen with there other friends. and other strange things have happend too, i thought it was just the softwere on my mac not loaded properly or somthing like that.
Yup!! Absolutely!!

I get all those too! It's all catalogued at the beginning of this thread.

The correlation between slagging Microsoft off and MSN crashing is really funny though! Kinda proves our point though!!...hehe...

super mini (mac

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2005
UK, ENGLAND
mac supports ms, ms s**** on mac

if mac make a programme ie, itunes, ipods (i know is hard were) and AirPort all these things work happily on a mac and pc

SO

why do ms have to mae shoddy products for the mac, infact when i had a pc the only thing that i didnt have a problem with was itunes for pc.

so am i contradicting my self and should i be saying that ms dont make shoddy products for mac but they make shoddy products for all!!!

bill gates? bet he cant even open 1 :D

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
Does anyone know why the contact names on msn 5 don't refesh?
for example one of my contacts old name was ''c'est tout nule'' and he is now called ''David''. when he is offline my msn calls him by his old name ''ces't tout nule'' and when he's online by his new name ''david''. is there a way to get it so i keeps the new name all the time?

i can't seem to recive any files either. i have contacted msn and used all the help they gave and they still wont work. could it be becasue i use the firevault?

sorry if that sounds confusing lol.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Automatic Reconnection?

Does anyone know how to have Messenger 5.0 automatically reconnect after a disconnection? I really hate coming home to find Messenger is just sitting there telling me that it's disconnected rather than doing anything useful like reconnecting!

I e-mailed Microsoft who simply told me to make sure I had the program set to remember my username and password (which it already did), so I'm kinda stumped...

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
NATO said:
Does anyone know how to have Messenger 5.0 automatically reconnect after a disconnection? I really hate coming home to find Messenger is just sitting there telling me that it's disconnected rather than doing anything useful like reconnecting!

I e-mailed Microsoft who simply told me to make sure I had the program set to remember my username and password (which it already did), so I'm kinda stumped...
Ye that sounds about right! I've had no luck emailing them either...infact they have stopped replying to me!! They keep sending me things to try and I reply saying sorry, its not worked, try again...but this time they have just given up and not replied!! Typical!! I actually think thats rather rude!

I'm not sure there is a way to reconnect. I honestly can't remember if the Windows version does either! (But I haven't used it properly for ages, so they may be!) I guess if it did just reconnect and not have that window you would never know of the problem, and it maybe a problem your end. (unlikely with how buggy this software is!)
But then again I guess it could still reconnect you and keep that ever friendly and helpful message box ontop to tell you:

"Somethings gone wrong, but its ok, it's reconnecting, so you can carry on right where you were! Sorry for this problem! (I can't garentee I won't do it again tough!)"
Amy2005 said:
Does anyone know why the contact names on msn 5 don't refesh?
for example one of my contacts old name was ''c'est tout nule'' and he is now called ''David''. when he is offline my msn calls him by his old name ''ces't tout nule'' and when he's online by his new name ''david''. is there a way to get it so i keeps the new name all the time?

i can't seem to recive any files either. i have contacted msn and used all the help they gave and they still wont work. could it be becasue i use the firevault?

sorry if that sounds confusing lol.
I think these are just part of the long lists of bugs in this version of messenger!! I have had the same problems, especially with file transfer. It's very selective, and when it does work it sometimes just hangs and doesn't actually transmit anything! Your firevault may cause some problems but it is almost certainly messenger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.