Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
https://www.sfbags.com/products/staad-attache-briefcase

SF Bags just released their new messenger bag. It's freaking BEAUTIFUL! Too bad I already ordered the Bolt briefcase, but I ordered the medium which can fit my 15" MacBook Pro Retina if I want to take that instead at times. Their new bag only fits iPad Pro or 13" MacBook Pro Retina. Which is fantastic if you have those products. IMO it's going to be a hot seller. The best messenger bag I've seen yet.
Holy cannoli. Nice bag! This thread is like bag pr0n.

malandra

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2003

SF Bags just released their new messenger bag. It's freaking BEAUTIFUL! Too bad I already ordered the Bolt briefcase, but I ordered the medium which can fit my 15" MacBook Pro Retina if I want to take that instead at times. Their new bag only fits iPad Pro or 13" MacBook Pro Retina. Which is fantastic if you have those products. IMO it's going to be a hot seller. The best messenger bag I've seen yet.

I love this too, going to be tough to decide between this and the Vitesse messenger. I love the military buckle and the leather flap of the attaché, but I do prefer the burgundy option and greater flexibility of the Vitesse--what if I want a 15" Mbp next time around? The weight may be the key though-- I contacted Waterfield today and was told that the attaché weighs 1.8 pounds. A Vitesse plus a canvas iPad pro sleeve case is 2.5 pounds. That would be quite a load if I want to throw in my 2pound keyboard:/

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple

Yes, it is beautiful, that's for sure! I love all of their bags from an aesthetic point of view. I have the Staad Backpack and it's just great.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009

Looks like it would even accommodate my Bose headphones as well.

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple
I took a deeper look at the new WaterField bag. While I love the look, I'm not sure how I feel about it as compared to the two WaterField bags I own - the Bolt and the Staad backpack (Stout size). I like the dedicated pencil slots on the Attaché; that's something I wish either or both of my bags had. On the other hand, both of my bags have a dedicated pocket for a second tablet, while the new bag does not have this (on the Bolt, I use the front outside pocket for this purpose). I sometimes carry an iPad Pro and an iPad Mini and appreciate having dedicated pockets for both.

The Attaché is not as thick (3.5") as the Bolt (4") or the Staad Backpack (5.5"), either. It won't hold as much, but then again, Waterfield's bags are sometimes not meant to be Bags of Holding and stress smart packing, more than voluminous packing. So, I don't hold that against it. Still, it may be a consideration.

That said, the Attaché's price point is more competitive than the Staad Backpack's, if we are comparing the two.

In the end, I'm not sure the Attaché has enough pull for me to go through the effort of replacing one of my current WF bags. If I were starting from scratch, it would be a tough decision, however.

All of these bags do possess one thing in common. To me, they are all drop-dead gorgeous. I really appreciate how nice these bags look, and how rugged and well-made they are, and how well they are supported by the company.

Last edited:

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
One of the official messenger bags of NYC:
(If it doesn't have a seat belt release, it's just a poser.)
somahero_blackblack_enlarge.jpg

johnnyapples33d

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
I took a deeper look at the new WaterField bag. While I love the look, I'm not sure how I feel about it as compared to the two WaterField bags I own - the Bolt and the Staad backpack (Stout size). I like the dedicated pencil slots on the Attaché; that's something I wish either or both of my bags had. On the other hand, both of my bags have a dedicated pocket for a second tablet, while the new bag does not have this (on the Bolt, I use the front outside pocket for this purpose). I sometimes carry an iPad Pro and an iPad Mini and appreciate having dedicated pockets for both.

The Attaché is not as thick (3.5") as the Bolt (4") or the Staad Backpack (5.5"), either. It won't hold as much, but then again, Waterfield's bags are sometimes not meant to be Bags of Holding and stress smart packing, more than voluminous packing. So, I don't hold that against it. Still, it may be a consideration.

That said, the Attaché's price point is more competitive than the Staad Backpack's, if we are comparing the two.

In the end, I'm not sure the Attaché has enough pull for me to go through the effort of replacing one of my current WF bags. If I were starting from scratch, it would be a tough decision, however.

All of these bags do possess one thing in common. To me, they are all drop-dead gorgeous. I really appreciate how nice these bags look, and how rugged and well-made they are, and how well they are supported by the company.

What size Bolt do you have? Also do you think it can hold an iPad Pro and 12"MacBook? Thanks in advance for answering my questions, I'm very interested in purchasing this.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
One of the official messenger bags of NYC:
(If it doesn't have a seat belt release, it's just a poser.)
somahero_blackblack_enlarge.jpg
I have the original version of this bag, and it is great. One problem with the original is that it didn't have the top "shoulder" covers, so there was a gap between the side of the bag and the flap. This newer one has that solved.

That said I just took delivery of the Chrome Ind. Mini Metro/Oxide/Wrench. It was onsale for $40.00 (sale now ended). Of course there is the added expense of getting their laptop sleeve, and organizer. So it all adds up compared to other bags, except you get an extremely tough and waterproof carry solution, plus a bottle opener on the buckle ;) The orange color I got is going to be seen from a mile away. I guess that is why it was on sale.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
I have the original version of this bag, and it is great. One problem with the original is that it didn't have the top "shoulder" covers, so there was a gap between the side of the bag and the flap. This newer one has that solved.

That said I just took delivery of the Chrome Ind. Mini Metro/Oxide/Wrench. It was onsale for $40.00 (sale now ended). Of course there is the added expense of getting their laptop sleeve, and organizer. So it all adds up compared to other bags, except you get an extremely tough and waterproof carry solution, plus a bottle opener on the buckle ;) The orange color I got is going to be seen from a mile away. I guess that is why it was on sale.
I missed that sale. They had a black one also. When I went back to order they were out of that color.
Thanks for the additional info.

Last edited:

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Nice bag but that's not a messenger bag, which is what the OP is asking about.
Well, it does have a shoulder strap. If it isn't a messenger bag, it's pretty close. Anyway, it's quite nice either way, take it for what it's worth.

malandra

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2003
So my Tom Bihn Ristretto for the iPad (now discontinued, appropriately...) barely fits the new iPad Pro (ironically, the 12" MacBook fits nicely inside) and I find myself seriously considering a new Messenger Bag.

So far 2 options stand out for me:

The Field Muzetto
A larger Tom Bihn Ristretto

Does anyone have any other opinions or recommendations for an appropriate Messenger Bag? My priorities are something that protect the iPad Pro well (with Smart Keyboard Cover / Case / Pencil) and is as well fitted as possible without taking too much extra space.

Thanks in advance :)

I just got my field muzetto in the mail. It's crazy gorgeous, for a brown bag. The canvas is a bit darker in person, a better, richer color. I picked the medium so I have a bit of extra room and so I can also take my RMBP when I choose, or throw in a big keyboard. It's still a pretty good fit for the iPP, and there are a few padded pockets that fit the pencil well enough, if not vertically. Really love it.

Reactions: masotime
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.