Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kung gu

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
I was really looking forward Windows 11, but its just a reskin of windows 10 with new sounds, wallpapers and new start menu that they ripped of 10X. I installed the leaked Win 11 build on my spare PC
and yeah it was just that Windows 10 but with a new theme.

Windows 11 looks good on the surface but as you dig deeper into OS. You find design styles dating back 30 years.

I know this is a leaked build of Windows 11 and not final but so far it looks like MS has no vision with Windows.

Windows on ARM is still horrible compared to ARM macOS and Windows 10X is dead.

Windows still relies on win32, UWP apps. Overall MS is all over the place with Windows. No consistency at all.

That said I am waiting for June 24. Still like MS software and Apple software unlike Google they both invest long-term.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
What's wrong with Googles software?
Also, Microsoft doesn't care about you since it cares about businesses and they can't change things as drastically as Apple since a lot of businesses use legacy applications from the 90s (no joke)

Reactions: smirking

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
The reality is that the vast majority of users have no interest in what they do with. As long as the OS which serves only to get them from point A to C, where C is actually what matters to them then all good. So new skin, new sounds, yeah, whatever not important either way.

Reactions: Mendota

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Meh... I just need Windows to get out of the way and let me use my programs.

Chrome, Adobe software, various little utilities... that's was I use, and have used for the last 25 years.

I don't deal with actual Windows very often.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
Because they don't need them. I personally only use YouTube and Maps and they're still around. Also, gmail.
Apple also kills it's software projects.

Reactions: Janichsan

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
but its just a reskin of windows 10
I'm not defending MS, but at this point we really don't know what's under the hood. Also, the same argument could be made for macOS. A couple of more features but its just the same thing as Big Sur

You find design styles dating back 30 years.
Again, you dig into macOS, and you'll see stuff dating back to the beginning as well.

As for direction, I tend to agree, they seem to be looking which way the wind is blowing and change directions, but then it shifts again and they change yet again. I don't see an overall strategy of where they want to take windows. Plus most of their major changes, i.e., UWP, windows x, windows s, all seem half hearted hearted.

What I'm hoping for, is a unified windows experience, Its been embarrassingly long to deal with a settings app with its wire frame icons and also the control panel that dates back to windows 1. Need to change your user account, do you go to the settings app for user account or the control panel, since both have user account sections.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Because they don't need them. I personally only use YouTube and Maps and they're still around. Also, gmail.
Apple also kills it's software projects.
There's so many initiatives, services, and programs that google has killed. They start up multiple chat apps, and let them whither on the vine. Other then gmail/youtube and its office apps, there's really no guarantee google won't put something you get used to on the back burner or kill out right. You're correct both MS and Apple do the same thing but google has taken it to new heights, introducing a lot of things and then killing them off.

I'm waiting for the shoe to drop for Stadia, their latest big money push into a new business line (game streaming)

mainelyme

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2017
Nothing fundamental has changed, and yet every update seems to break something that many businesses rely on. I almost wish they'd revert to Windows 7, patch up any vulnerabilities, and focus on the reliability of their cloud infrastructure, which has been pretty poor. Microsoft feels like a free-for-all sometimes. No quality control, no accountability.

Reactions: justin0712

EmlynDewar

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Chengdu, China
Come on guys, this is Microsoft we're talking about. It's just a really small dev company.
You can't expect them to have completed all this work since Windows 10 was unveiled. It's only been 6 years.

I've been lucky with Windows 10 tbh, and I've not been shafted by updates. I like how it works, but there's plenty to be turned off to make it less annoying. Extreme number of notifications, attempting to add some sort of news banner, Edge nagging me every so often to use it... Stop that please.

Windows 11 dev build seems like a little UI change with not much else done so far. I'll wait until it's genuinely released, so I can be properly underwhelmed.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Actually windows 11 is much lighter than 10, performance is much better to the tune of 15 percent in some cases. It's more, much more than just a new skin.

I have heard speculation that this "leaked" version of Windows 11 is much lighter since it's just a developer's version.

Who knows if it will actually be lighter once they add all the commercial nonsense... tracking, telemetry, etc.

Though I am hopeful... ?

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I have heard speculation that this "leaked" version of Windows 11 is much lighter since it's just a developer's version.

Who knows if it will actually be lighter once they add all the commercial nonsense... tracking, telemetry, etc.

Though I am hopeful... ?
Just read that on another site after I posted. However, at this junction, who knows? I am cool with the more touch centric layout alone. I use touch on a daily basis and any upgrades in that department is fine by me.

Reactions: Michael Scrip

EmlynDewar

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Chengdu, China
I'm guessing telemetry is doing far less, there's no garbage news ticker, no live tile start menu.
Aside from a lack of Windows 10 normal rubbish, what else could it be? I've seen talk that the scheduler has been/will be tweaked for big.little but this pretty much seems like it's windows 10 with a skin at the moment.

I've got it on an old broadwell i7 laptop with a mechanical HDD, and it does "feel" nicer than it did on Windows 10 but some of this could be fresh install niceness.
Still a good few channels showing more than margin of error performance improvements though.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Microsoft's vision has always been at Enterprise level, things like Azure. Unfortunately, they are caring less and less on the consumer side, seemingly leaving the consumer side into a hodge podge mess of different experiments.

But there are great people inside. And the top seems to at least more open to many things. But in the end, they're engineers, and often they will do things from their own perspective.

Reactions: GalileoSeven

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It’s lighter because it’s running less of the normal pre-installed Windows trash. It is Windows 10 with a facelift, but that’s all it’s meant to be just now.
You can say the exact same thing for Catalina -> Big sur -> Monterey.

People seem hung up that now that they're marketing "windows 11" that everything under the hood will be new, not so.

I mean you could have said windows 10 is just windows 8 with a facelift, i.e., metro ui is gone.

As for the windows trash, my windows 10 came with no such trash ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2021
Microsoft + Intel is in panic mode because Mac sales skyrocketed with Apple Silicon. Intel has nothing to offer on ARM front. Microsoft hasn't had a new OS in almost a decade. So they concocted a themed version of Windows 10 that requires you to buy a new laptop.

People are shocked that even relatively recently bought laptops can't pass the Win 11 compatibility check app. It might backfire though. People they lose can choose to go to Apple and save themselves from computing hell.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
…even relatively recently bought laptops can't pass the Win 11 compatibility check app.
What?? That would piss off A LOT of people if they can’t even upgrade from Windows 10 on something they just bought. If true this would be a monumentally stupid move on Microsoft’s part.

It’s hard to believe if 11 really is just a facelift of 10.

Last edited:

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2021
What?? That would piss off A LOT of people if they can’t even upgrade from Windows 10 on something they just bought. If true this would be a monumentally stupid move on Microsoft’s part.

It’s hard to believe if 11 really is just a facelift of 10.

Even most of their own devices can't be upgraded.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Microsoft + Intel is in panic mode because Mac sales skyrocketed with Apple Silicon. Intel has nothing to offer on ARM front. Microsoft hasn't had a new OS in almost a decade. So they concocted a themed version of Windows 10 that requires you to buy a new laptop.

People are shocked that even relatively recently bought laptops can't pass the Win 11 compatibility check app. It might backfire though. People they lose can choose to go to Apple and save themselves from computing hell.

Apple Silicon is still proprietary to a closed ecosystem which is why I don’t buy into your rhetoric.

Windows 11 isn’t required. Windows 10 will have support till 2025. It 11 also works with AMD cpus (1st Gen Ryzen), so it’s not just an Intel thing. By then, most people will already be content with Windows 10 and not care about Windows 11 or have already updated to new hardware.

Reactions: raqball
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.