Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2017
You can buy the best Tablet which is an iPad or something that’s running Windows, Linux and Android. With Linux and WSL running especially great using a touchscreen lol.
I made peace with the iPad being a separate thing for now, it’s just so good and I don’t want to use anything else anymore for my private needs
I was in full agreement with you until I installed windows 11 on my surface pro x. It’s been incredibly, touch friendly, and does far more than my iPad.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
I was really looking forward Windows 11, but its just a reskin of windows 10 with new sounds, wallpapers and new start menu that they ripped of 10X. I installed the leaked Win 11 build on my spare PC
and yeah it was just that Windows 10 but with a new theme.

Windows 11 looks good on the surface but as you dig deeper into OS. You find design styles dating back 30 years.

I know this is a leaked build of Windows 11 and not final but so far it looks like MS has no vision with Windows.

Windows on ARM is still horrible compared to ARM macOS and Windows 10X is dead.

Windows still relies on win32, UWP apps. Overall MS is all over the place with Windows. No consistency at all.

That said I am waiting for June 24. Still like MS software and Apple software unlike Google they both invest long-term.

Microsoft have a clear vision with Windows 11:
1. Alot of PC laptops are sold with Touch Screens, hence Windows 11 aims to improve this.
2. Chromebooks and OS X have better security, Windows aims to address this. (However I don’t agree with Microsoft enforcing this security feature)

And if something aint broke, don’t fix it, like what Apple likes to do. Now my $2000 Access Virus TI (a Pro device that has been used in many top 40 hits) only works with Windows thanks to Apple breaking compatibility.

So it is good that Microsoft don’t change too many things.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I was in full agreement with you until I installed windows 11 on my surface pro x. It’s been incredibly, touch friendly, and does far more than my iPad.
It’s nice that Windows improves, but the software running in Windows does not. It’s not a tablet/touch os. Simple as that

Reactions: ian87w

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
It’s nice that Windows improves, but the software running in Windows does not. It’s not a tablet/touch os. Simple as that

Alot of PC laptops have touch screens these days. So you don’t need a tablet to make use of it.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Alot of PC laptops have touch screens these days. So you don’t need a tablet to make use of it.
I have one of these laptops and I can't imagine using Windows with touch on a regular basis. It's not enough that the OS itself works, if everything else you install and use isn't optimized for touch.

Reactions: LeeW

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I have one of these laptops and I can't imagine using Windows with touch on a regular basis. It's not enough that the OS itself works, if everything else you install and use isn't optimized for touch.
Also, using touch for 8 hours of productivity work will absolutely cause major problems doing this every day for years. Touch is still a niche and I have NEVER used the touch screen on my Surface products other than when someone asks if its a touch screen. Mouse is still 10000000% better.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
Most everything I use does have touch capability from Video and photo editing to processing applicaitons. Add in note taking, drawing and design apps. All on one device. NO, everything is not touch, but it is awesome having my super powerful notebook, with TONS of storage space, and also pull out my pen and draw plans, diagrams, take notes etc without having to pull out and fire up another device. HINT: that's the real reason apple does not create macbook touch. It will neuter ipad sales. Alot of people will not buy ipad anymore if they can note take, draw etc on their mac. With apple, it's all about maximizing the profits going into the pockets.

I am of the type who wants a full touchscreen desktop (which I have), a full touchscreen 2 in 1 notebook (which I have) and a powerful productive tablet (which will be incoming soon with my surface pro X). Apple don't like giving consumers choice. That means less money incoming to them. Apple users think touchscreen on desktops and notebooks is a compromise. However, that's just what they have been told to believe by the minon masters at head office. The true compromise is not having touch on these devices to use as you wish.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I absolutely would love to get a more capable iPad at some point. But I have to wait. It would also make so much sense to add touchscreens to Macs now that they run iOS apps, but it is what it is for now.
Good if you found something that’s working for you and your use case, an iPad is still the better Tablet for people like me who use it for fun and on the couch after work. And it’s not even a contest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.