Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
That is completely false. I had a 15" MacBook Pro and was able to connect two displays to it. I used it all the time in Clamshell mode with two monitors.

macOS is NOT the issue here. As the 16" MacBook Pro has this support:

• Up to four displays with 4096‑by‑2304 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
macOS supports MST?

Reactions: raqball

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
a) Now try using multiple monitors (without trickery) with an M1 MacBook and let me know how that goes..
b) Pre M1 chip MacBooks suffered simular fates.. Does the i9 ring any bells?
c) So you expect to leave a machine off for several months and there be no updates? C'mon man... Something tells me that if there were no updates after several months then there'd be complaints about the lack of bug fixes and security patches..

The grass is not always less greener on the other side. Unless of course you want it to be for whatever reason..

So much to unpack here…

a) On Windows, an external screen (eg 720p) with a different resolution plugged into a 1080p laptop has a conniption. No contest here. If I try to use two outputs (laptop + screen + projector), the taskbar is 3 different sizes. On my M1 Mac mini or old MBP, no issues with external screens with different resolutions. I imagine there are no issues on M1 portables with an external display, either.

b) Right—Intel is junk, no argument there. However, this is an i7 (not i9) and in both machines. The i9 MacBook Pro thing is something else entirely.

c) Sure, a few updates would be fine with 1 restart but not a gazillion of them, each with their own restart wants and needs.

Your analogy would apply if I was looking for greener pastures elsewhere while I’m just questioning how people can spend so much time dealing with Windows rather than simply using it to get work done.

• Haha
Reactions: LordVic and raqball

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
So much to unpack here…

a) On Windows, an external screen (eg 720p) with a different resolution plugged into a 1080p laptop has a conniption. No contest here. If I try to use two outputs (laptop + screen + projector), the taskbar is 3 different sizes. On my M1 Mac mini or old MBP, no issues with external screens with different resolutions. I imagine there are no issues on M1 portables with an external display, either.

b) Right—Intel is junk, no argument there. However, this is an i7 (not i9) and in both machines. The i9 MacBook Pro thing is something else entirely.

c) Sure, a few updates would be fine with 1 restart but not a gazillion of them, each with their own restart wants and needs.

Your analogy would apply if I was looking for greener pastures elsewhere while I’m just questioning how people can spend so much time dealing with Windows rather than simply using it to get work done.
Not much to unpack really unless you are looking for reasons to bash Windows..

a) I've had ZERO issues on Windows 10 with external monitor. I've also had no issue on Mac's... Not sure why you think macOS is better, other than bias and hate for Windows, but to each their own..

b) I never said Intel was junk nor do I think they are.. It's not just the i9 Macs that throttled, overheated and had high fan noise and usage. I assume you are a frequent in the MacBook forum so you'll be well aware that many with the i7 had issues with these as well.. You are reaching, and reaching hard here....

c) I don't think you've used Windows recently.. I don't get a gazillion updates. Do I get more than macOS? Yes but it's nowhere even close to as many as you are trying to make others believe...

I don't know if it's a case of not using Windows recently, hating Windows, macOS fan'ism or purchase justification but I use both OS's frequently and what you are claiming re: Windows -v- macOS is simply not true.....

Reactions: LordVic

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
That is completely false. I had a 15" MacBook Pro and was able to connect two displays to it. I used it all the time in Clamshell mode with two monitors.

macOS is NOT the issue here. As the 16" MacBook Pro has this support:

• Up to four displays with 4096‑by‑2304 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
I never said you couldn't. I used 2 external monitors every day when I was in the office. What I said is that you can't use multiple monitors with a single cable. That's something that macOS cannot do, that Windows has been able to do for years.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
Microsoft got its supporter base because they learned it at school. Take Excel. Praised by all. From a software design view it is full of functionality home users will never use. MS even added things that never should have existed in a spreadsheet. Hence why Numbers does not have it.

And yes some things are awesome eg pivot tables (which make more sense in a database btw). But businesses! Sure. Most lawyers use MS Word. A lot of lawyers have never heard of headings.

Same goes for Windows. The geeks can customize a lot. Most users don't. Yet the possibility to customize that much ends up in security risks. And imagine a pc not recognizing a driver.

Apple is right. A pc ought to be a device that works from the box.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Microsoft got its supporter base because they learned it at school.

There was no such thing as the internet or computers when I was in school. I've had PC's since the late 80's and my 1st MacBook was in 2008..

Apple is right. A pc ought to be a device that works from the box.
Funny that all my Windows machines and MacBook's have all worked 'from the box'... I've had a few of each that didn't necessarily meet that description but those were hardware issues. Both do encounter hardware issues from time to time...

What exactly does not work 'from the box' with Windows that works with macOS?

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
I think he/she just wants Windows to be bad.. Everything listed happens on MacBooks as well.
  • Throttling and heat? Check! The Intel MacBooks suffered from heat, fan noise and throttling.
  • Multiple monitor issues? Check! Even the previous non M1's had issues with this.
  • The update complaint is just an odd one. If there were no updates then that would be the complaint.
It's a Mac / Apple centric forum so I expect those types of comments but take them with a grain of salt as they are non-realistic and are generally based on blinded fallacies..
This is beyond the point:

- Throttling and heat are no OS issues, but hardware related (mostly)
- Similarly: irrelevant if it happens on M1 or not, for it has nothing to do with the OS
- The issue bothering me with Windows‘ update process is: it fails to often for no apparent reason. Sometimes it gets stuck in update-rollback cycles (Happened on a Lenovo W530 reproducably). And the update process by itself is somewhat weird: it updates, installs, reboots, updates again, installs again, reboots. Not a pleasant experience. Do the same on, say, Ubuntu, the same process is much less bothersome. And it fails next to never

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
This is beyond the point:

- Throttling and heat are no OS issues, but hardware related (mostly)
- Similarly: irrelevant if it happens on M1 or not, for it has nothing to do with the OS
- The issue bothering me with Windows‘ update process is: it fails to often for no apparent reason. Sometimes it gets stuck in update-rollback cycles (Happened on a Lenovo W530 reproducably). And the update process by itself is somewhat weird: it updates, installs, reboots, updates again, installs again, reboots. Not a pleasant experience. Do the same on, say, Ubuntu, the same process is much less bothersome. And it fails next to never
I think you quoted the wrong person.

I was responding to the other persons comments... He is 'claiming' these issues only happen on Windows machines but not on Mac's........

I rarely have issues with Windows updates BUT again ---> the person I responded to is claiming he has 'a gazillion' updates with Windows and that is simply not the case... Are macOS updates better and fewer? Yup...

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
Actually I quoted correctly. I am aware you responded; the above is my opinion to your response, which is why I quoted it

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
Not much to unpack really unless you are looking for reasons to bash Windows..

a) I've had ZERO issues on Windows 10 with external monitor. I've also had no issue on Mac's... Not sure why you think macOS is better, other than bias and hate for Windows, but to each their own..

b) I never said Intel was junk nor do I think they are.. It's not just the i9 Macs that throttled, overheated and had high fan noise and usage. I assume you are a frequent in the MacBook forum so you'll be well aware that many with the i7 had issues with these as well.. You are reaching, and reaching hard here....

c) I don't think you've used Windows recently.. I don't get a gazillion updates. Do I get more than macOS? Yes but it's nowhere even close to as many as you are trying to make others believe...

I don't know if it's a case of not using Windows recently, hating Windows, macOS fan'ism or purchase justification but I use both OS's frequently and what you are claiming re: Windows -v- macOS is simply not true.....

You’re right, I am wrong, nothing I’ve said happens/happened, and I don’t have any of these issues and/or problems.

Looks like this is my stop. ? Have a good day! ?

• Haha

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
You’re right, I am wrong, nothing I’ve said happens/happened, and I don’t have any of these issues and/or problems.

Looks like this is my stop. ? Have a good day! ?
I never stated that what you've said didn't happen.. Please stop putting words into my mouth as this is now twice you've done that....

Have you tried running multiple monitors from an M1 MacBook like I asked several posts ago? You slam Windows for having multiple monitor issues yet you conveniently overlooked Apple's shortcomings in that exact same area...

If macOS works better for you then awesome.. I use both and I like both for different reasons. I've had hot, loud and slow Mac's and I've had hot, loud and slow Windows PC's.. Windows has it's strengths and weaknesses as does macOS.. Neither is perfect and neither is terrible..

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
There was no such thing as the internet or computers when I was in school. I've had PC's since the late 80's and my 1st MacBook was in 2008..

Funny that all my Windows machines and MacBook's have all worked 'from the box'... I've had a few of each that didn't necessarily meet that description but those were hardware issues. Both do encounter hardware issues from time to time...

What exactly does not work 'from the box' with Windows that works with macOS?
I wouldn't want to surf the net on a Windows pc without antivirus software. Granted it works but not safely. And installing something might destroy the registry.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I wouldn't want to surf the net on a Windows pc without antivirus software.
This is old news used to scare people about Windows..

Windows Defender is built in and it works amazingly well... I've been using it for the past few years and not a single issue yet.... I don't visit sketchy sites and use common sense..

Are Macs safer? Sure but they also have issues. Here are a few links but I can add many, many more on the subject if you'd like.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
This is old news used to scare people about Windows..

Windows Defender is built in and it works amazingly well... I've been using it for the past few years and not a single issue yet.... I don't visit sketchy sites and use common sense..

Are Macs safer? Sure but they also have issues. Here are a few links but I can add many, many more on the subject if you'd like.

There's a good reason to be scared.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
There's a good reason to be scared.
On a Mac? I agree but only because most think they are safe when they are actually nowhere even close to being so....

With either OS just run an anti-virus / malware program, don't visit sketchy sites and use common sense.. Problem solved and not much to fear...

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Malware is mostly a social engineering issue. Get software from reputable sources and 99.9% of the time it's a non-issue. Downloading software from questionable sources like warez sites and torrents puts you at risk. Less of an issue on MacOS since there's hardly any software.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Again: irrelevant: You are comparing a hardware limitation with a software issue
Again, I am responding to the original post made by him..

I'll try and make it simple to follow.......................

He said:
On Windows, an external screen (eg 720p) with a different resolution plugged into a 1080p laptop has a conniption. No contest here. If I try to use two outputs (laptop + screen + projector), the taskbar is 3 different sizes. On my M1 Mac mini or old MBP, no issues with external screens with different resolutions. I imagine there are no issues on M1 portables with an external display, either.

I said:
You slam Windows for having multiple monitor issues yet you conveniently overlooked Apple's shortcomings in that exact same area..

I then said, in response to his follow up post:
Have you tried running multiple monitors from an M1 MacBook

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 317342

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
I said:
You slam Windows for having multiple monitor issues yet you conveniently overlooked Apple's shortcomings in that exact same area..

I then said, in response to his follow up post:
Have you tried running multiple monitors from an M1 MacBook
Yes, but these are different things. One is a hardware limit, the other a software issue.

Not comparable at all

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Yes, but these are different things. One is a hardware limit, the other a software issue.

Not comparable at all
It is weird though, the only time I have noticed Windows to care about the resolution of the connected displays is when doing screen mirroring. If you are extending the desktop (and at using 100% scale) Windows doesn't seem to care what each individual monitor resolution is.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Windows 10X was never announced, but all reports point to a lot of the research done for it having made its way into Windows 11.
Not to split hairs, but MS had announced Windows 10x

Introducing Windows 10X

As for the research, this link shows that it wasn't research, as there were working versions of 10x
Windows 10X: Everything you need to know

Here's my take, its just my opinion and its based on what I've stumbled upon over the months and weeks since MS announced a new version of windows for the dual screen machines.

I believe they got very far with the build, and had impressed the higher ups with the look and feel, but as time went on with the dual screen phones and tablets it was becoming increasingly clear that consumers or even enterprise users were not interested in a dual screen form factor for phones and tablets. So they canceled the hardware but since 10x impressed the upper mucky-mucks they opted for a "windows 11" using much of what already was written for 10x.

Reactions: thejadedmonkey

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Look at the flip side though; There is a 0-day exploit in the wild called printNightmare. Microsoft released an out of band fix for it yesterday, and this morning when I came downstairs to get on my computer it had already installed overnight thanks to connected standby, and my PC was notifying me to reboot.

Last time Apple had a 0 day like this, they had to put the fix into the point release that they were working on, and it did not come out quickly, leaving everyone exposed to it.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I never said you couldn't. I used 2 external monitors every day when I was in the office. What I said is that you can't use multiple monitors with a single cable. That's something that macOS cannot do, that Windows has been able to do for years.

Uhhhh I don’t think that’s possible. I don’t have the ability to connect two HDMI ports on two different monitors with one cable. One cable has one end. How is it possible to connect two displays with a single HDMI cable? You need three connections - both monitor’s HDMI ports and the computer’s port. HDMI cables only have two connections.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Malware is mostly a social engineering issue. Get software from reputable sources and 99.9% of the time it's a non-issue. Downloading software from questionable sources like warez sites and torrents puts you at risk. Less of an issue on MacOS since there's hardly any software.

Problem is several years ago I wanted to download FileZilla from the official website. I mistyped it and my Windows got infected since it exploited a security hole in the browser. I got infected without installing anything. And I had an AV software too that did not help.

Reactions: grandM

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Uhhhh I don’t think that’s possible. I don’t have the ability to connect two HDMI ports on two different monitors with one cable. One cable has one end. How is it possible to connect two displays with a single HDMI cable? You need three connections - both monitor’s HDMI ports and the computer’s port. HDMI cables only have two connections.
MST is a display port feature, allows 1 cable from the computer to the first monitor, then one cable from that monitor to the 2nd. AFAIK HDMI doesn't have an equivalent.

Reactions: thejadedmonkey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.