Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwa

Suspended
Jun 3, 2013
Memo: A Slower Seesaw!
The person expressed their opinion. Not very thoroughly. Not very eloquently, but it is their opinion nonetheless. You might not agree with that sentiment, but let's allow different opinions to be expressed without the need to be condescending and insulting.

In terms of Microsoft's continued marketing approach of pitting the Surface Pro 3 against the Macbook Air, I think that it is premature for them to be doing that right now. There are manufacturing issues and driver issues (that accompany most new generation of devices) that might be ironed out in the future, but at this moment in time give the impression that Microsoft is out of touch with why people are attracted to MBAs.

Thank you.

Microsft's come a long way, true, but they still have a ways to go. Windows 8 has been a debacle and a half. All of my friends who upgrade or buoght new hate it. Microsoft has even rolled back some of that new 'functionality' in 8.1.

bobmepp

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2014
The basic fail

here is that the Surface Pro 3 will not work on a lap. The whole thing just looks jerry-rigged. I have tried my son's MBA on my lap, and it is the most pleasant to use laptop computer I have ever tried. The SP3 appears to be very clumsy in a laptop situation, which is confirmed by the reviews. I also can not imagine reading in bed with a heavy, hot air blowing, 11" tablet. However, I am not impressed with the MBA's screen res after getting used to reading on my Air. I am sticking with my i7 MacMini for now, and saving up to replace it with a fairly loaded retina MBP, which seems to be the best of all worlds for my purposes, which is dominated by photo editing. Meanwhile, my bluetooth keyboard works nicely with the iPad, if I need to type away from my desk.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Thank you.

Microsft's come a long way, true, but they still have a ways to go. Windows 8 has been a debacle and a half. All of my friends who upgrade or buoght new hate it. Microsoft has even rolled back some of that new 'functionality' in 8.1.

What?

I really don't think you understand what they did between 8.0 and 8.1. No functionality has been rolled back.

----------

here is that the Surface Pro 3 will not work on a lap. The whole thing just looks jerry-rigged. I have tried my son's MBA on my lap, and it is the most pleasant to use laptop computer I have ever tried. The SP3 appears to be very clumsy in a laptop situation, which is confirmed by the reviews. I also can not imagine reading in bed with a heavy, hot air blowing, 11" tablet. However, I am not impressed with the MBA's screen res after getting used to reading on my Air. I am sticking with my i7 MacMini for now, and saving up to replace it with a fairly loaded retina MBP, which seems to be the best of all worlds for my purposes, which is dominated by photo editing. Meanwhile, my bluetooth keyboard works nicely with the iPad, if I need to type away from my desk.

I have used my MBA in my lap, and in some uses I wouldn't recommend using it on your lap either. Particularly on days when you're wearing shorts, it's a horrible idea if you plan on doing anything that uses any real processor power.

mwa

Suspended
Jun 3, 2013
What?

I really don't think you understand what they did between 8.0 and 8.1. No functionality has been rolled back.

----------

I have used my MBA in my lap, and in some uses I wouldn't recommend using it on your lap either. Particularly on days when you're wearing shorts, it's a horrible idea if you plan on doing anything that uses any real processor power.

Start button and default desktop. Perhaps not functionality by your terms, but nonetheless functionality, downgraded as it is due to customer gripes about Windwos 8 being too drastic a step in a new direction. The point is Microsift doesn't really seam to get what people want.

bobmepp

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2014
You have a point

Michael Goff said: I have used my MBA in my lap, and in some uses I wouldn't recommend using it on your lap either. Particularly on days when you're wearing shorts, it's a horrible idea if you plan on doing anything that uses any real processor power.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure that is true at times, given the great heat conductivity of aluminum. Actually when you think about it, using a laptop on one's lap is inherently uncomfortable and is usually only done when there is no other option. I suppose I'm somewhat spoiled by my iPad Air and MacMini, neither of which get more than a bit warm, even when worked hard.

(Sorry about over editing the quote)

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Start button and default desktop. Perhaps not functionality by your terms, but nonetheless functionality, downgraded as it is due to customer gripes about Windwos 8 being too drastic a step in a new direction. The point is Microsift doesn't really seam to get what people want.

And yet you still haven't mentioned how they removed ANY functionality. They added more in, but they didn't take anything away.

----------

Michael Goff said: I have used my MBA in my lap, and in some uses I wouldn't recommend using it on your lap either. Particularly on days when you're wearing shorts, it's a horrible idea if you plan on doing anything that uses any real processor power.

I'm sure that is true at times, given the great heat conductivity of aluminum. Actually when you think about it, using a laptop on one's lap is inherently uncomfortable and is usually only done when there is no other option. I suppose I'm somewhat spoiled by my iPad Air and MacMini, neither of which get more than a bit warm, even when worked hard.

(Sorry about over editing the quote)[/QUOTE]

Also, don't get me started on using it outside in the summer. I've had to do that, kicks the fans on quite nicely. I love my MBA, but I think it's indicative of why they're called notebooks these days and not laptops. You're not really supposed to put these things on your lap.

mwa

Suspended
Jun 3, 2013
And yet you still haven't mentioned how they removed ANY functionality. They added more in, but they didn't take anything away.

If by removing key design features in Windows 8 that Microsoft promoted, and reverting back to the old way, then yes, of course, they added so much functionality.

Microsoft's changing a product so much that people hate it and then reverting back to the old way of doing things isn't "adding new functionality" ...unless of course you believe what the marketing agencies tell you to believe. It would be like GM saying "Oh boy! I know we removed the steering wheels in our new cars, but so many customers wanted it back (silly customers!) we decided to put a steering wheel back in our cars! But actually it's not our mistake or a correction at all: it's us giving you so much *more* functionality!" See? Doesn't really work that way.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
If by removing key design features in Windows 8 that Microsoft promoted, and reverting back to the old way, then yes, of course, they added so much functionality.

Microsoft's changing a product so much that people hate it and then reverting back to the old way of doing things isn't "adding new functionality" ...unless of course you believe what the marketing agencies tell you to believe. It would be like GM saying "Oh boy! I know we removed the steering wheels in our new cars, but so many customers wanted it back (silly customers!) we decided to put a steering wheel back in our cars! But actually it's not our mistake or a correction at all: it's us giving you so much *more* functionality!" See? Doesn't really work that way.

I honestly don't think you've used 8.1 at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.