Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mteahan

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
What they are offering

Late 2010 13", 2.13 C2D with 256gb drive (bought the loaded version), perfect condition:

$210.00

I don't think they are that desperate. eBay running mid 600's and gazelle was even more than the trade in value.

At 650.00, I might have gone for the i5 for a performance upgrade.

Damn nice screen, though.

AppleTools

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
Hahaha they finally found a way to get the rid of the surface and recover the investment at the same time!

Let's exchange them for good working Airs and then we can sell the Airs and recover our investment! Hell, we can even make some money selling second hand Macs!

Cyborg21

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Let's compare specs, rather than a couple of cheesed cheated angle shots.

iPad 3 and Air Thickness Per Apple

iPad 3
Depth: 0.37 inch (9.4 mm)

iPad Air
Depth: 0.29 inch (7.5 mm)

Surface Pro 3 Thickness Per MS

SP3
Depth: 0.36 in (9.1 mm)

It's a tiny bit thinner than the iPad 3, and only slightly larger than the iPad Air. Your pictures mean nothing.

That's weird, there is almost 3 or 4 post in this new and you literally replied all bad comments about Surface? :confused:

And if you didn't liked pics, here's a non-angled iPad Air

Last edited:

Cyborg21

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Yup. The biggest advantage the iPad has is weight. The Air is less than a pound, the iPad 2/3/4 is about 1.5, while the SP 1.75. Here, Apple has the advantage.

...but even on the high end, none of them are exactly arm-breakingly heavy. It weighs just as much as the iPad 1, and I don't remember anyone talking about how those were a burden to carry around. And for the weight difference, you are getting a much more capable machine.

Eh, not really. It's just a trade deal.

Though you are kinda right about MS maybe not quite knowing how to present the machine. It never will sell as much as the iPad. I'll get that out of the way right now. It's too high priced to compete with it head on.

The MBA? It does a better job there, but it does have one big disadvantage. It's not a good machine at everything. Like I said down in iOS Alternatives, the tablet form factor means it'll be spectacularly great at some things, but pretty weak in others. The tradition laptop are a good fit for anything you throw at them.

So what is the SP3 good at? It's a great artists and designers machine. Hell, it might even be decent at lower end CAD/Solidworks jobs. That's what it's made for, and that's how it should be marketed. Journalists and authors on the go won't like it that much. No matter how well MS designs their keyboard, it'll never be as good in the lap as an MBA. But for photographers or artists, it trumps the MBA all around. It's light enough and thin enough to carry around without breaking your arm, and being able to interact with the screen directly with either your finger or a fine point stylus gives you a bunch of advantages you don't get on the MBA.

That's how MS should be selling the Surface Pro Line. They should market to its strengths, not it's closest competition.

Just think of it as Sony offering trade-in deals on Xboxes for PS4s. You've got two competing products in the same field, one company wants you to use their stuff over the others, so they're giving you an enticing deal to make you more deeply consider it.

It's not desperation. It's just marketing.

It's just about the same thickness as the iPad 2/3/4, and just 2mm thicker than the iPad Air. I'd hardly call that super thick and awkward.

Do wuh now?

Depends on what you intend on using it for. I can see many situations where it'd be worth every penny.

When you count in the dock, it's an excellent portable computer all around. It just sucks for typing up long documents in your lap.

Here's all you comments. Why would someone waste their time defending MS on an Apple based site :confused: and if you didn't liked picture of iPad Air, here's it;
(in *my* opinion surface is too bulky and ugly to be a competitor to iPad. It's like uglier version of first gen iPad with a keyboard to make it less usable.)

Attachments

• iu-5.jpeg
    iu-5.jpeg
    418.7 KB · Views: 71
  • iu.png
    iu.png
    626.5 KB · Views: 73

Renzatic

Suspended
Here's all you comments. Why would someone waste their time defending MS on an Apple based site :confused:

So just because I'm posting on an Apple-centric site, I have to unquestionably bash products that come from other companies, no matter how good they may be? That's kinda stupid, don't you think?

You don't have to like it, but don't deny its strengths and call it crap just because its made by someone else.

(in *my* opinion surface is too bulky and ugly to be a competitor to iPad. It's like uglier version of first gen iPad with a keyboard to make it less usable.)

No, it's thinner than the first gen iPad, and almost a minuscule amount smaller than the 2/3/4 line. It might be a little on the slightly heavy side, but it's a thin, sleek little machine otherwise.

You can post all the pictures you want, but it won't be a true representation of how thin it actually is unless you have a single shot of both machines sitting side by side. The angle and distance from the machine when the pic was taken can mess with your perceptions of how relatively thick or thin one is.

edit: here you go

SP3-Air.jpg

Cyborg21

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
So just because I'm posting on an Apple-centric site, I have to unquestionably bash products that come from other companies, no matter how good they may be? That's kinda stupid, don't you think?

You don't have to like it, but don't deny its strengths and call it crap just because its made by someone else.

No, it's thinner than the first gen iPad, and almost a minuscule amount smaller than the 2/3/4 line. It might be a little on the slightly heavy side, but it's a thin, sleek little machine otherwise.

You can post all the pictures you want, but it won't be a true representation of how thin it actually is unless you have a single shot of both machines sitting side by side. The angle and distance from the machine when the pic was taken can mess with your perceptions of how relatively thick or thin one is.

edit: here you go

It's not having opinion about a product. You would be right if you answered 1 or 2 bad comments about Surface but you almost answered all of them! And they were in different pages that means you simply read all comments and you replied all bad comments! And it's not the weirdest part, when I look at a review about a tablet -iPad or not- I see tons of angry people bashing that tablet and praising Surface which makes me suspicious about if Microsoft done same thing as Samsung did to HTC. :confused:

Renzatic

Suspended
...And it's not the weirdest part, when I look at a review about a tablet -iPad or not- I see tons of angry people bashing that tablet and praising Surface which makes me suspicious about if Microsoft done same thing as Samsung did to HTC. :confused:

meatChicken.jpg

...filthy, tasty lucre. Ooooh.

ANYWAY, last time I checked, I never once bashed the iPad. And if you look elsewhere on the board, I'm not exactly showering the SP3 with unwavering praise. I think it's a great machine, and a helluva piece of computer engineering, but it's far from perfect. If I'm an astroturfer, I'm an unusually flaky one.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I've seen lots, where abouts do you live?

This is a smart move by MS. Even if a few switch, it's more people entering the the MS Eco system. It's also getting people talking about the surface pro.

Having never used a pro and not really needing one I cant comment on how good a system it is. I do most things on my iPad which has served me well.

Lol after looking it up the closet one is like 45 min a way from where I live. I do have an apple store like 5 min away from where I live. As to the surface itself. It's a very high priced computer with mid level specs. Plus you have to deal with windows 8 no thank you. That alone would make me not what to buy one.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I wish Apple would counter and offer a Surface trade in for an iPad Air or MBA. I'll bet they'd get more takers. :D

Don't tell us you have a Surface :D

----------

Late 2010 13", 2.13 C2D with 256gb drive (bought the loaded version), perfect condition:

$210.00

I don't think they are that desperate. eBay running mid 600's and gazelle was even more than the trade in value.

You'd have to be absolutely mad to sell that kind of machine for $210.

Eugene

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2002
$315 for a mint 2011 11" base model. Sorry MS, that's recycling program money, not trade-in money. I can get $600-700 for this I'm pretty sure.

Starshadow

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
So i get to trade in an item of value that doesn't lose this value and holds its worth over the course of several years and i get to pay for a significantly less useful item who's value bombs the moment you open the box and who's future as a Microsoft product is less than secure due to the near universal "meh" reaction to its release, the barren desert that is its app environment and horrific Windows OS?

Im going to have to decline this wonderful offer,

It seems Balmer is still running things... wish MS would get their act together.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I'm going to look at it. My 2011 MBA is in great condition (it's only left my house 4 times since I've owned it). It's so loaded with PC centric software that it's basically a glorified PC. It's not necessary for business so it's just another of the multitude of PC's, laptops, and other tech stuff in my house. Of course, I would have to test drive the SP3 first to see if I actually like it, but if I could get $500 for my MBA and add another $500 in cash, the SP3 could be a viable option for me. I'm not locked into any ecosystem and I like tech for tech's sake. MS and Apple are just names on a box to me. How does the product fit into my life. That's important.

I think you'll get more if you just sell it outright. Then take your money and buy what you want.

For $550? I'd buy it from you!

Fastestflash

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
does anyone have a mba for sale?

I need a MBA that meets the criteria for the full 650 and someone that wishes me to get rid of it for them for 450. Thank you.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
The problem with the surface is that it's dumb.

what could this mean?

the problem with MR posters is that so many are plugged into windows strawmen from fifteen years ago. time to catch up, microsoft has. I run windows on a mbp because i like the hardware. i have never cared for mac os--mostly due to the windowing and finder--but i would never dismiss it. get real

----------

It's a very high priced computer with mid level specs.

Because it shares essentially the same pricing and specs as the mac book air?
Could you possibly be less informed? Also glad apple just redesigned their desktop to look like...windows 8!

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
what could this mean?

the problem with MR posters is that so many are plugged into windows strawmen from fifteen years ago. time to catch up, microsoft has. I run windows on a mbp because i like the hardware. i have never cared for mac os--mostly due to the windowing and finder--but i would never dismiss it. get real
The person expressed their opinion. Not very thoroughly. Not very eloquently, but it is their opinion nonetheless. You might not agree with that sentiment, but let's allow different opinions to be expressed without the need to be condescending and insulting.

In terms of Microsoft's continued marketing approach of pitting the Surface Pro 3 against the Macbook Air, I think that it is premature for them to be doing that right now. There are manufacturing issues and driver issues (that accompany most new generation of devices) that might be ironed out in the future, but at this moment in time give the impression that Microsoft is out of touch with why people are attracted to MBAs.

hwrdrrk

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
I'm also offering a trade-in option

For everyone who gives me a fresh Maine lobster,

I will give you a quarter pound of ground beef.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
The person expressed their opinion. Not very thoroughly. Not very eloquently, but it is their opinion nonetheless. You might not agree with that sentiment, but let's allow different opinions to be expressed without the need to be condescending and insulting.

The op said "surface is stupid" and my "condescending and insulting" response was "what could this mean?" followed by a paragraph about how although i like windows i would never dismiss osx: they are both fine if somewhat bloated products.

Hardly a shout down.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
what could this mean?

----------

Because it shares essentially the same pricing and specs as the mac book air?
Could you possibly be less informed? Also glad apple just redesigned their desktop to look like...windows 8!

I'm not saying my post was crazy thorough or anything, but I'm not sure why you think I dislike Windows? I have two computers, my MacBook Pro with Yosemite and my desktop computer with Windows 8.1. Windows is fine and I'm one of the Windows 8 defenders.

My post was purely about the surface, and to me it is an unnecessary product. I would never buy one because it fits no purpose in my life. Therefore, to me, it is dumb.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I'm not saying my post was crazy thorough or anything, but I'm not sure why you think I dislike Windows? I have two computers, my MacBook Pro with Yosemite and my desktop computer with Windows 8.1. Windows is fine and I'm one of the Windows 8 defenders.

My post was purely about the surface, and to me it is an unnecessary product. I would never buy one because it fits no purpose in my life. Therefore, to me, it is dumb.

your remark was "surface is stupid" --which i glommed with other 8-hate posts and responded generally. I get it -- your down with windows 8 but think surface is a mess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.