Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
I've had the Mighty Mouse for a few days now, and I thought I'd write an informal "one user" blurb on it... just user feedback, hopefully useful to someone out there... :)

Installation was a cinch, though I was surprised that you had to restart the computer (I'm on 10.4.3 all up to date)... coming from Apple I'd have expected it to load and work right out of the box. The second thing that was surprising to me, is how long it took to restart... the grey screen with the apple logo and circle underneath was there for a good 3-4 minutes. Third surprise, was that the right "button" functionality is not the default... out of the box, the left and right click are identical, i.e. it's just a standard left click, as if it's a standard Apple one button mouse... you have to go into preferences and select for the right button to work like the right button.

One negative is that the mouse usb cord is a bit short, not intolerable, but not ideal either... on my iBook all the ports including usb are on the left side (rant: does anyone else find that placement extremely suboptimal?? I'd rather have the disc slot on the left side, where it is easy to operate with the left hand, and where disc access is not obstructed by the power cord! Meanwhile, most people are right handed and it's a pain to put in usb drives on the left side compared to the right side, and also all cords like mice cords have to now snake around to reach the right side - how inconvenient! /end rant/). So, now the cord is even shorter, and since it naturally has some kinks in it, it's just a touch short, though not tragically so.

Next, I was surprised to see how big it is, and how heavy. This is definitely not ideal if you want to be portable. Plus, I'm used to mini-mice even when at home, and moving such a big and heavy mouse seems like hauling stones heavy labor.

Another big negative for me, is how slow the mouse is. I put it on the fastest speed in the pref panel, but I still find I have to move my hand a huge distance for the pointer to follow. Frankly, the trackpad is faster.

This next complaint may be a purely personal issue, but somehow the placement of the side buttons is not perfect... I find myself fumbling for them... I realize there's no ideal position, as everyone's hands are different, just be aware of the issue.

On the positive side... I've had none of the problems reported on the various mac boards... the mouse is stable, not overly sensitive, it's very accurate, and the pseudo "buttons" work well. Of course, I've only had it for a few days, so it's possible it'll wig out in the long run, but so far, so good.

The biggest positive for me, is the little scrolling nub that doubles as a button. I love the feel of it, the ease of movement (this has been a pet peeve of mine for years - the wheels on almost all mice are such a CHORE to move - they require way, way, way too much force to use... in fact, I've hung on to my kensiko mice for years and years simply because I could find no mice - none - with a decent wheel... until now, with the Mighty Mouse!). The little nub is extremely accurate, I love the default scrolling speed, I love the feedback sound, and I find the amount of force needed to activate the nub as a button is also perfect (default: controlls dashboard).

So, depite the negatives, the scroll nub/button is such a hit, the mouse is in my mind a success.

Of course, I got this mouse in essence for free in the Amazon deal with the purchase of an iBook, I got a $50 rebate which brings the cost to 0. Were it not for that, and if I had to pay for it would I do it for $50? No, but that's probably more of a subjective thing - I just can't take big mice at this point, only minis, and I know I'm pretty unique in that (most folks, especially those with bigger hands, like a full-size mouse). Plus, I'd like a bluetooth one, which we all know is coming. One other thing for me... I'm trying to learn to operate exclusively with the standard iBook, i.e. only use the trackpad, and really learn keyboard shortcuts, so I've sort of been avoiding any mouse. But overall, I'm glad to have this mouse, and I think it's a perfectly successful product... sure, has some flaws as I enumerated, but overall, I think it's great. Of course, YMMV.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Nice review! :) Thank you for taking the time and effort to put up such a detailed report of your experience!

OldCorpse said:
Installation was a cinch, though I was surprised that you had to restart the computer (I'm on 10.4.3 all up to date)...

I'm kind of surprised Apple didn't quietly sneak the software into a Tiger dot upgrade. Perhaps they will yet? I get iSight updates through Software Update all the time, and I have never had an iSight. It makes sense, especially since some Macs ship with them.

Did you try plugging it in without installing any software? I'm surprised it doesn't just automatically work as a USB mouse. Although of course the software is important.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I've got pretty much the same opinion as you. My Mighty Mouse has sort of wigged out a few times (side buttons go nuts, or the ball stops scrolling), but never permanently. I like the scroll ball so much I can't stand to use other scroll mice because they're so imprecise and require so much finger movement. The scroll ball on the Mighty Mouse, aside from reliability issues, is as close to perfect as any I've ever used.

adrian-cg

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2005
Weird, I ignore the discs, plugged the thing and it worked, I was able to configure all the buttons for it.

I'm still puzzled as to what the discs install.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I tried a Mighty Mouse using Panther and yes, it does work as a USB mouse without any software. However, I believe the software is needed in Tiger to enable the button selection and enabling of the side buttons; in Panther it only works as a 2-button mouse with scroll wheel, and the functions of the buttons cannot be changed. Personally, I found the placement of the 'nub' too far back on the mouse from what I am used to, and it hurt my hand to use it, so I returned it. I might give it another try some other time if I ever upgrade to Tiger though.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
mkrishnan said:
Did you try plugging it in without installing any software? I'm surprised it doesn't just automatically work as a USB mouse. Although of course the software is important.

Hmm. I did plug it in before I installed the software on the installation disc, and it didn't have the functionality (two button clicking is not default for the right button acts like the left by default).

I disconnected the MM for a few hours and went back to just using the trackpad + keyboard shortcuts, but then decided to plug it back in, so I can keep evaluating it. I must say, the scrolling is addictive... I like the trackpad two finger scrolling, but if you don't keep your fingers just right, you find yourself uselessly "caressing" the trackpad with no effect on the screen... with the scroll nub on MM, it works perfectly every time... :) .

broncoball

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2005
KC
i also was able to use it without installing the disks and i could just go to preferences to assign the buttons.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Odd, (the install disk thing)

My G4 B&W, Quicksilver, G5, and iBook all work flawlessly with all the updated software and no reboots. I simply plugged in the mouse, setup my expose preferences, and activated the right mouse button with no issue.

Are you sure you had to reboot ?

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
840quadra said:
Odd, (the install disk thing)

My G4 B&W, Quicksilver, G5, and iBook all work flawlessly with all the updated software and no reboots. I simply plugged in the mouse, setup my expose preferences, and activated the right mouse button with no issue.

Are you sure you had to reboot ?

Well, I got a dialogue box prompt "you must restart' blah, blah. So I did. Like I said, I was surprised, as it doesn't seem to me mouse software needs to go too deep into the kernel, so what's the need for a reboot... BWDIK.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
OldCorpse said:
Well, I got a dialogue box prompt "you must restart' blah, blah. So I did. Like I said, I was surprised, as it doesn't seem to me mouse software needs to go too deep into the kernel, so what's the need for a reboot... BWDIK.

Surprise that's all. I was not calling you a liar, nor do I think you did anything wrong.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Mmm. Well I am very tempted by Logitechs latest offering given the "flaws"on the Mighty Mouse

Attachments

• Logitech S530 Macrumors.jpg
    Logitech S530 Macrumors.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 4,139

dooze

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2006
i have no gripes about the mighty mouse but i cannot say that i like it either. i still prefer my m$ intellimouse.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
After a bit of adjustment, I've come to live with my Might Mouse. It was initially discarded, as it wasn't as good as my trusty Logitech Notebook mouse, however I like the idea of 4-way scrolling.

I do find the Might Mouse to be a lot more 'scratchy' on my desk - where as my other mice have been silent.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
adrian-cg said:
Weird, I ignore the discs, plugged the thing and it worked, I was able to configure all the buttons for it.

I'm still puzzled as to what the discs install.
The disc installs Mac specific functions for the buttons that dont exist already in the OS. Things like "Expose" and "spotlight". You dont need the software but it adds some features for customization.

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
Danksi said:
After a bit of adjustment, I've come to live with my Might Mouse. It was initially discarded, as it wasn't as good as my trusty Logitech Notebook mouse.

Initially, I wasn't very fond of the mighty mouse that came with my G5 PowerMac. Would never spend $50 on this mouse. But like Danksi stated, I come to live with it. I enjoy using the right & left clicks and the small scroll wheel (took a while to get use to it).

Still, I like my Logitech MX 500 much better...but that's just my cup of tea.

Thanks for the thread OldCorpse:rolleyes:

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
don't like the form

So, having moved BACK to a MAC after nearly a decade, and having had a nice ergonomic logitech mouse, the mighty mouse is making my wrist and forearm sore.

I think I am going to have to add another mouse to this one.

*Franny*

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
York
I got a mighty mouse for christmas and a totally love it, it goes perfectly with my ibook!The only problem i've found is the USB cord is a bit short.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
scroll wheel stops

Anyone have the issue that sometimes the scroll wheel stops working?

jblock

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2006
I'm also a fan of the mighty mouse. I find the scroll button great and easy to use. It doesn't take a lot of effort to scroll. The side buttons took a little to get used to, but I use it so infrequently that I'm glad it takes a little effort to click them.

However, I also got mine for free through Amazon, and I'm not sure I'd pay $50 for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.