Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
tivoboy said:
Anyone have the issue that sometimes the scroll wheel stops working?

I don't, but it is my understanding that this is a very common and known (to Apple) issue. Apparently, the scroll nub gets dirty very fast (even from just oils in your skin... the nub is so small, that's enough!). At that point, it'll only scroll up, or only down, or only sideways etc. Usually, cleaning the nub with a cloth or qtip and rolling it vigorously gets rid of the problem... until the next time... this can happen fast, after only a month or two. There have also been cases where the scroll stops altogether and you can't bring it back to life... if it's within warranty, Apple will replace it. Try cleaning first though, since if you get a new one, it'll just get dirty again, meanwhile if you clean it, that gets it back to the original condition, so a new one is not much of an improvement... it's not a unit flaw, it's a design flaw. But then again, some have had the MM work without any problems for a long time, so YMMV.

I'm happy with my MM, but again, I got it free (after rebate) from Amazon w/ the purchase of my iBook. I wouldn't pay $50 for it myself. I find it too big, the cord is too short, and I'd really prefer a bluetooth. You can be quite sure that Apple will come out with a bluetooth version of the MM, at which point, if the reviews are good and it's not much over $50, I'd consider buying it (perhaps they'll find a solution to the dirt problem too, while they're at it)... :D .

brians.account

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2005
the problem i have with the mouse is:

like said previously, it's a little sluggish, at times i have to pick my mouse back up and move it back to the top of the mouse pad, but in doing this, trigger the side buttons because of where they are placed, causing me to go into expose. this is especially inconvenient when working in photoshop.

also, right-clicking can be tedious as you have to ensure that none of your index finger is on the left side of the mouse.

in regards to the ball not working, it's been application specific in my experience. just like in firefox cmd <- stops working as "back" when i've had the application open for long periods of time (i.e. a couple of days).

it's definitely a tough decision between this and a regular mouse, although because of it's convenient, if not sometimes obtrusive, expose and dashboard functions, as well as it's rollball, i'd probably go with the mighty mouse

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
If logitech ended up making the MX1000 again in a BT version.

I would be the happiest person in the world. Best mouse

but not "true" wireless

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Update

OldCorpse said:
I don't, but it is my understanding that this is a very common and known (to Apple) issue. Apparently, the scroll nub gets dirty very fast (even from just oils in your skin... the nub is so small, that's enough!). At that point, it'll only scroll up, or only down, or only sideways etc. Usually, cleaning the nub with a cloth or qtip and rolling it vigorously gets rid of the problem... until the next time... this can happen fast, after only a month or two. There have also been cases where the scroll stops altogether and you can't bring it back to life... if it's within warranty, Apple will replace it. Try cleaning first though, since if you get a new one, it'll just get dirty again, meanwhile if you clean it, that gets it back to the original condition, so a new one is not much of an improvement... it's not a unit flaw, it's a design flaw. But then again, some have had the MM work without any problems for a long time, so YMMV.

UPDATE: it's been barely 10 days (of which I used the mouse for 5 at most), and my MM stopped scrolling down today (would only scroll up). Taking my own advice (originally glimpsed from posters on MR), I rubbed the mouse scroll nub vigorously on my t shirt. The nub looked clean, but I did notice what seemed a couple of cruddy things [ALERT: possible grossout] - like dead skin come out from under the shell... weird, as I'm a clean person, and I wash my hands frequently... plus the mouse is very clean... nonetheless, there you have it. Anyhow, the upshot: the mouse works like a champ again, scrolling every which way. Of course, prolly until the next time, which may be an annoyingly short time judging by my experience so far... and what if the next time it does not come back to life? Definitely seems to me a design flaw... when I had trackball mice, they trackball would seize up from time to time, but that was like in scale of once every 5-6 months, plus, it was running along a mousepad that accumulated all sorts of dust, hair etc... optical mice, never a single problem... which is why I say: MM has a design flaw. Glad I didn't pay for this mouse. I hope that Apple fixes this issue (if it is fixable), when they inevitably update the MM to bluetooth. Still like the mouse very much, but it has some shortcomings.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
tivoboy said:
Anyone have the issue that sometimes the scroll wheel stops working?

it has done it once or twice, to get around it i just hold the mouse still with one hand and with the other go mad with the ball, press on iit hard and roll it in all directions.

well it seems to work for me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.