Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
ITS MILKY WAY TIME!!!

I went to my usual dark sky location to test the iPhone 14 pro max in night mode. I must say the new larger sensor is 4x better than the 13 pro max. The Milky Way looks way more realistic and like a DSLR image……finally! Crazy to see these at ISO 12,500 and 10,000… wow. The max ISO of the new sensor is 12,768! Wow. But the images are clean at that ISO. I’m impressed. My iPhone was tracked on my skywatcher Star Adventurer during the 30” exposure to keep the stars pinpoint.

ProRAW and edited in Lightroom mobile.

381A462A-D13D-45AD-AD35-8992FBF4BA4C.jpeg

1DD6D7AF-08C4-45E0-9A8B-EE6D234163EC.jpeg

Out of camera jpeg, no edit

3C3C38B6-4060-4832-991B-40589E71669C.jpeg

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Holy crap that is nuts! Excellent work. Did you just use the stock camera app for your exposure?
Thanks!!

Yes I just used the iPhone camera app set to 30” in night mode. I couldn’t believe the iPhone used ISO 10,000! That new sensor is awesome. If I had a darker sky they would look better. But I’m very happy with the results.

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
ITS MILKY WAY TIME!!!

I went to my usual dark sky location to test the iPhone 14 pro max in night mode. I must say the new larger sensor is 4x better than the 13 pro max. The Milky Way looks way more realistic and like a DSLR image……finally! Crazy to see these at ISO 12,500 and 10,000… wow. The max ISO of the new sensor is 12,768! Wow. But the images are clean at that ISO. I’m impressed. My iPhone was tracked on my skywatcher Star Adventurer during the 30” exposure to keep the stars pinpoint.

ProRAW and edited in Lightroom mobile.

View attachment 2072764

View attachment 2072763

Out of camera jpeg, no edit

View attachment 2072765
Absolutely Amazing!

I used to mount my iPhone to my 10" telescope and these pictures are sooo much better. I havent got my scope out for a few years now (life gets in the way), but you are giving me the urge to dust it down and take it out!

Truly excellent pics, thanks for sharing.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Far out! Great job 👍🏻. Looking forward to getting my 14PM — now will be hunting for good night shots.

I don’t have Lightroom — have you ever edited ProRAW files in Pixelmator on the Mac, or is that app not appropriate for this purpose?

Reactions: centauratlas

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Absolutely Amazing!

I used to mount my iPhone to my 10" telescope and these pictures are sooo much better. I havent got my scope out for a few years now (life gets in the way), but you are giving me the urge to dust it down and take it out!

Truly excellent pics, thanks for sharing.
Thanks so much for the compliment. I wish I had more time out there, but I didn’t bring mosquito spray…. They were bad! A friend of mine hooked his iPhone, 13 promax to his 16 inch telescope with a Celestron cell phone holder at the eyepiece in Fort Davis, Texas using night mode. Shots of galaxies and nebulae just looked fantastic. so yes, you should get your telescope out some more but if you live in a very humid area like I do, observations may not last long lol. The wife gets in the way….Ha. I understand that.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Far out! Great job 👍🏻. Looking forward to getting my 14PM — now will be hunting for good night shots.

I don’t have Lightroom — have you ever edited ProRAW files in Pixelmator on the Mac, or is that app not appropriate for this purpose?
Thank you…. The Lightroom app is free for the iPhone and iPad, but without a subscription, some tools are not useable. I have the subscription, just $5 a month. I also have Pixelmator on my iPhone and iPad, it does work, I have used it for the night sky images, but Lightroom just does a better job.

Reactions: Kierkegaarden

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Can you tell what changes he made to the original photo?
Quite a few steps… I had to adjust the contrast, lighting, some atmospheric colors like green & blue in the raw image. Linear and radial gradient tools to brighten or darken areas of the sky so they match other parts of the image. There is some vignetting with the new iPhone, but it’s not as bad as the 13 PM was. I used the dehaze tool and decreased the texture some. All done on the iPhone using Lightroom mobile.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
...A friend of mine hooked his iPhone, 13 promax to his 16 inch telescope with a Celestron cell phone holder at the eyepiece in Fort Davis, Texas using night mode. Shots of galaxies and nebulae just looked fantastic....
Amazing photos!

Can you say which Celestron holder please?
I had an 8" dobsonian telescope for my fiftieth a month ago and it's so amazing and I'd love to capture images on my new 14 Pro Max. I nearly bought a mount for my 13 Pro Max when I first got the scope but reviews of not fitting larger phones put me off.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
Thank you…. The Lightroom app is free for the iPhone and iPad, but without a subscription, some tools are not useable. I have the subscription, just $5 a month. I also have Pixelmator on my iPhone and iPad, it does work, I have used it for the night sky images, but Lightroom just does a better job.
Have you tried Affinity on a Mac for editing using stacks? I don’t know if it would work or not but a thought. I live in a pretty dark spot outside of Atlanta so I can’t wait to see what I get when there is barely a moon.

Reactions: Kierkegaarden

DeftwillP

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2011
Excellent work. I went to Big Bend/Terlingua/Fort Davis area twice this summer and wish I had my new 14PM for this kind of work. It does pique my interest in trying to set it up some time with my 8" dob if I can ever get around to building an EQ mount for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.