Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carolwins

Suspended
Jun 14, 2023
Good one!! Have you heard of the Even Longer app? It now has a night mode setting to where you can choose ISO and exposure time up to 30 seconds. It’s a continuous exposure, not multiple stacked images like the iPhone default night mode camera app. You’ll have to pay for the pro features though, it’s not much and it’s a fantastic app. You’ll probably have to manually focus the camera sometimes though. But finally I can set my iPhone to an ISO of my choice and exposure length of my choice.. that equals awesome for me…
The iPhone 14 PM already does 30 seconds unless you are referring to something different. All my night pics are able to the 30 seconds on a tripod

ringomainichi

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2021
The iPhone 14 PM already does 30 seconds unless you are referring to something different. All my night pics are able to the 30 seconds on a tripod

If you take a night mode photo set to 30 seconds, then check the image info in the photos app it will say an exposure time of 10 seconds.
If you look at the EXIF data for a night mode photo using Preview on a Mac, an exif app like Metapho, or the command line tool exiftool, it will have exif tags that say the image has a composite image count of 3. So apparently when you set it to 30 seconds, it doesn't leave the shutter open continuously for 30 seconds, but actually takes three 10 second exposures and combines or stacks them into a resulting image.
I would be interested to see how the images and the exif data compares between a 30 second night mode photo with the standard iPhone photos app, and the Even Longer app set to continuous 30 seconds before I'd buy it.

maverick786us

macrumors regular
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
ITS MILKY WAY TIME!!!

I went to my usual dark sky location to test the iPhone 14 pro max in night mode. I must say the new larger sensor is 4x better than the 13 pro max. The Milky Way looks way more realistic and like a DSLR image……finally! Crazy to see these at ISO 12,500 and 10,000… wow. The max ISO of the new sensor is 12,768! Wow. But the images are clean at that ISO. I’m impressed. My iPhone was tracked on my skywatcher Star Adventurer during the 30” exposure to keep the stars pinpoint.

ProRAW and edited in Lightroom mobile.

View attachment 2072764

View attachment 2072763

Out of camera jpeg, no edit

View attachment 2072765
How is it even possible to get the picture of Galactic Center. When its not visible using any consumer level telescope or a binocular?

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
How is it even possible to get the picture of Galactic Center. When its not visible using any consumer level telescope or a binocular?
You have to get away from the city and the light pollution it produces. You can look online for a light pollution chart and see how bad the pollution is in your area & how far you will have to drive to get away from it for a photo or observation. I had to drive 45 minutes to get these shots, barely visible from my front yard. If you travel to Fort Davis Texas or any other desert area, the Milky Way is very bright. Here is an example of the Milky Way from Fort Davis, Tx.

Light pollution kills the sky…

Observer2.jpeg

654465087_DRwZ6-L.jpeg

_THP3196-2 copy.jpeg

Last edited:

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Well the Even Longer app in night mode setting works like the Samsung Galaxy phone camera in pro mode. On the Samsung you can set the ISO and exposure time much like a DSLR up to 30 seconds. The iPhone doesn’t have this feature, it only takes three 10 second exposures (on a tripod) and stacks them. You have no control over the ISO settings like the Samsung camera software has. However with the Even Longer app, these settings are now available on the iPhone in RAW mode. Choose the ISO and exposure time you want up to 30”. This way you can choose a lower ISO and longer “True exposure time” for a less noisy image. The iPhone night mode settings will usually max out the ISO to 6400 or higher for those 10” shots resulting in a noisy image.

maverick786us

macrumors regular
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
You have to get away from the city and the light pollution it produces. You can look online for a light pollution chart and see how bad the pollution is in your area & how far you will have to drive to get away from it for a photo or observation. I had to drive 45 minutes to get these shots, barely visible from my front yard. If you travel to Fort Davis Texas or any other desert area, the Milky Way is very bright. Here is an example of the Milky Way from Fort Davis, Tx.

Light pollution kills the sky…

View attachment 2232225

View attachment 2232224

View attachment 2232226
You took those pictures few minutes before dawn? The third picture you captured Nabula so closely, it looks like an image from Hubble's telescope.

Nebucatnetzer

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2023
I've got myself as well a Skywatcher Star Adventurer Mini and the Even Longer app and tried to shoot some pictures with my iPhone 12.
The images get very noisy however.
The following ones where both shot with ISO 200. If I go to the maximum of 5000 I just get a white image.
Yesterday night I've taken a lot of pictures but most of them were very blurry. I have to try again without auto focus.
I like the results you can get but so far I'm not really impressed by the iPhone 12, since I've had the Pixel 4XL before it.
I hope I get better results with the iPhone 15 Pro Max or maybe even some tips for you guys.
You can find the RAW files here: https://nextcloud.2li.ch/s/N92kNGopKr5EPjY

This one is unedited and you can see the moon rising at the horizon so not the ideal direction but I didn't notice it, until after I've shot the picture.
23-09-05 22-48-35 0230.jpg

This one is edited with the standard iOS tools and taken quite early in the even, that's why there is so much light.
image_0048.jpeg

Picture from the Pixel 4XL, I have others with more stars in it but I like it because of the bright tree. No editing.
IMG_20200711_234219.jpg

Reactions: wba1990 and asdex

Nebucatnetzer

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2023
This video mentions that the iPhone 15 Pro could the removal of star trails included.
Maybe it even came to the older iPhone Pro?

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
This video mentions that the iPhone 15 Pro could the removal of star trails included.
Maybe it even came to the older iPhone Pro?
I have noticed that on my 14 Pro Max and the 15 Pro Max. All of the individual frames are aligned now to where the stars don’t trail, totally excellent. However, the 15 pro max series still captures more stars and better detail over the 14 pro.

Reactions: Nebucatnetzer

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
We spent the past two nights at Palm Desert near Joshua Tree National Park. The first night was cloudy but last night was decent so we went out at 3am after the moon had set…was fantastic! Original raw image and my attempt in Lightroom…
We are back at Palm Desert again this year and visited Joshua Tree National Park again last night. Thanks to a New Moon and the perfect desert weather we had fantastic viewing conditions. I haven’t upgraded from my iPhone 13 Pro but still really enjoyed taking some decent pictures. The bright blob in the bottom right corner of the first picture is Jupiter. I don’t know why the planets don’t come out well in astrophotography on the iPhone. I love how the Andromeda Galaxy though is clearly visible.

IMG_1766.jpeg
IMG_1767.jpeg

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
ITS MILKY WAY TIME!!!

I went to my usual dark sky location to test the iPhone 14 pro max in night mode. I must say the new larger sensor is 4x better than the 13 pro max. The Milky Way looks way more realistic and like a DSLR image……finally! Crazy to see these at ISO 12,500 and 10,000… wow. The max ISO of the new sensor is 12,768! Wow. But the images are clean at that ISO. I’m impressed. My iPhone was tracked on my skywatcher Star Adventurer during the 30” exposure to keep the stars pinpoint.

ProRAW and edited in Lightroom mobile.

View attachment 2072764

View attachment 2072763

Out of camera jpeg, no edit

View attachment 2072765
These are amazing pictures. I am always amazed with space nature where we exist within it. So much things that we do not know out there.

Nebucatnetzer

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2023
I haven’t upgraded from my iPhone 13 Pro but still really enjoyed taking some decent pictures.
The iPhone 13 Pro has the largest aperture compare to the 12-15 Pro models, so probably not a bad thing for astro photography?
I don’t know why the planets don’t come out well in astrophotography on the iPhone.
My guess is that they are just too bright. Similar how the moon is just to bright to properly photograph with a phone.

Nebucatnetzer

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2023
So we recently had a clear night and I was able to take some pictures from my balcony. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to go out to the fields where it is darker.
The pictures are taken with ProRaw and and 30s exposure of the stock camera.
I tried with Halide and EvenLonger but Halide gives doesn’t really work well for astrophotography and with EvenLonger I’m struggling with the focus.

The photos are edited but mostly just to bring the brightness down and try to bring out the stars a bit more.
I’m really not good at this. For another try I would like to isolate the light source at the bottom to bring it inline with the top of the picture.
The nebulas are easily visible without any editing.
IMG_0053.jpeg
IMG_0054.jpeg

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
So we recently had a clear night and I was able to take some pictures from my balcony. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to go out to the fields where it is darker.
The pictures are taken with ProRaw and and 30s exposure of the stock camera.
I tried with Halide and EvenLonger but Halide gives doesn’t really work well for astrophotography and with EvenLonger I’m struggling with the focus.

The photos are edited but mostly just to bring the brightness down and try to bring out the stars a bit more.
I’m really not good at this. For another try I would like to isolate the light source at the bottom to bring it inline with the top of the picture.
The nebulas are easily visible without any editing. View attachment 2328119 View attachment 2328118
Those look really good. Your camera has well corrected optics as all of the stars are pinpoint. A good camera on your iPhone. M41 (open cluster) under the star Sirius looks great and clear. Nice shots and edits.

Nebucatnetzer

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2023
Those look really good. Your camera has well corrected optics as all of the stars are pinpoint. A good camera on your iPhone. M41 (open cluster) under the star Sirius looks great and clear. Nice shots and edits.
Thank you.
I’ve seen in a video that the removal of the star trails seems to be an update but I don’t know if the older devices got it as well.
I wasn’t able to a decent shot with the 5x lense btw.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Thank you.
I’ve seen in a video that the removal of the star trails seems to be an update but I don’t know if the older devices got it as well.
I wasn’t able to a decent shot with the 5x lense btw.
I think the 15 pro / max is the only iPhone that fixes the star trails. The. 14 pm still show trails.

As for the 5x camera, you can’t get any star night mode shots with it because the 1x camera takes over and digitally zooms in to match the 5x. At 120mm, you’ll have long Star trails unless a star tracker is used. The only app for the 5x to work would be Even Longer. But I haven’t tried it yet using my tracker.

Nebucatnetzer

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2023
I think the 15 pro / max is the only iPhone that fixes the star trails. The. 14 pm still show trails.

As for the 5x camera, you can’t get any star night mode shots with it because the 1x camera takes over and digitally zooms in to match the 5x. At 120mm, you’ll have long Star trails unless a star tracker is used. The only app for the 5x to work would be Even Longer. But I haven’t tried it yet using my tracker.
Ah right I hoped that it might work for stars. Next time I try it again with the EvenLonger app. For the 5x it should be fine since it’s only 12MP. I feel for the main camera it’s a bit of a waist since we now have 48MP.

Nebucatnetzer

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2023
I was in an area with little light yesterday and was able to capture this picture. Unfortunately I didn’t have my tripod with me so I had to awkwardly prop it up against a can.
IMG_5279.jpeg

Reactions: Deifie and asdex
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.