Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
One thing I noticed - the magnets are more powerful in these covers. That and the lighter iPads means you can hang them by the covers pretty strongly.

You're right, not sure I would feel comfortable hanging it for a while, but they are extremely strong.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
This. I am actually suffering some disbelief over the absence of a leather smart case. C'mon, Apple, are you really not going to offer the leather smart case for this thing?????

I just ordered one of these. I have the Moko case and hate the feel of the rubbery surface, although the fit is fine. I hope this cases has more of a faux leather feel.
Dear Apple, Please make a leather case for me.
I have a Skinomi back skin on order. I thought I got it in on Friday, but when I opened it up, it said it was for the ipad 4, not the mini 4. Sigh. They are sending the right size, hopefully it will get here soon.

Reactions: ron7624

Tapper123

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
My Moko cover arrived. It's nicely made and looks good. The magnets don't work, but the seller sent an email to all buyers that this was a defective batch, and we would receive fixed ones next week. We get to keep both. Not bad for $6.

Not sure this will be my last case, but it will do for now.

Where are all the screen protectors?

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
About new cases, the solution of two separate partes is a clever option
Not really an "option" since they took away the leather smart case option..
smart case looked and felt much better and more premium than some plastic shell plus a smart cover specially at this ridiculous price..

The leather cases of old models always had the problem that the cover only was well closed in the magnetized zone. In other zones, the cover was separated from the screen. The new cover+case combination closes perfectly, and I feel the ipad much more protected with it.:)
Not true.
I have the Apple leather smart case for Mini 2 and it fits and closes perfectly.
You either had a fake or faulty case.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I've ordered this one from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014KAJQVY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00. It's one piece with the sleep/wake smart cover and a transparent back. It won't be here until Tuesday, but the reviews look good.

I actually prefer the two separate pieces for the same reason that joscejrod mentioned. When I need a stand or want the front glass protected, the cover is nice to have. But when I don't need a stand, it's great to be able to remove the extra weight quickly and easily. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find exactly what I'm looking for, so I'm hoping to just use this ESR case while I wait for more options to be available. (And I just can't swallow the price tag on the Apple version when I know in a month I'll be able to get the same thing for ~fifteen bucks!)
As I stated elseware, I ordered one of these. It came in today and is ok to use till I find a permanent solution. I like the feel of the front cover, the back is plastic. Thick plastic. The case weighs almost as much as the Mini and makes it feel very thick. Also, the front cover doesn't stay in place while closed. It kind of cocks up or down, lol, but just a little. Like I said, I do like it but it won't last long. The hinge on the front cover is glued to the plastic of the back cover Hopefully it won't have to use it long, but is great to have some protection on it.
If anyone finds an acceptable leather front cover, please let me know. Soon I'll have a Siinomi clear skin on the back and it will feel naked - which is the way my Mini 2 is. I do love the Skinomi full body protective skins, although I don't use the screen protector part.

Cirlonde

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
As I stated elseware, I ordered one of these. It came in today and is ok to use till I find a permanent solution. I like the feel of the front cover, the back is plastic. Thick plastic. The case weighs almost as much as the Mini and makes it feel very thick. Also, the front cover doesn't stay in place while closed. It kind of cocks up or down, lol, but just a little. Like I said, I do like it but it won't last long. The hinge on the front cover is glued to the plastic of the back cover Hopefully it won't have to use it long, but is great to have some protection on it.
If anyone finds an acceptable leather front cover, please let me know. Soon I'll have a Siinomi clear skin on the back and it will feel naked - which is the way my Mini 2 is. I do love the Skinomi full body protective skins, although I don't use the screen protector part.

Oh no! Mine is supposed to be here just any time this evening. Sure was hoping I wouldn't have to return it, but my number one requirement in a case is that it be light weight. Sounds like this one might not be for me...guess I'll know for sure when the UPS truck finally shows up.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Oh no! Mine is supposed to be here just any time this evening. Sure was hoping I wouldn't have to return it, but my number one requirement in a case is that it be light weight. Sounds like this one might not be for me...guess I'll know for sure when the UPS truck finally shows up.
Almost makes it feel like I'm holding an iPad 4, not an iPad Mini 4. The way the front attaches is flimsy and won't last the long haul. It has gotten pretty loose feeling in 8 hours of use.

Cirlonde

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
I guess it's only the bumper which is "soft". Otherwise the flat back itself is hard plastic and heavy?

That's correct. Just got mine and while it is heavier than would be ideal, I think it's tolerable in the short term. At least until I can find a 100% "gel" or soft case that just covers the back, which is what I used with my iPad mini 1. The soft bumper bit does make it pretty easy to take on and off at least.

It seems like it's actually the front cover of this case that carries most of the weight. I can also see where it might wear over time, at the place where the front attaches to the back. Otherwise it seems sturdy, I just happen to not be looking for sturdy so much as something to keep it from getting scratched up or scuffed. I don't need a case that will survive a 12 foot drop. :)

My particular version of this case doesn't have a problem with the front cover like ron7624 described. On mine, it lays flat. However, the front magnet isn't strong enough to keep it closed if I hold it face down. Fortunately, it's plenty strong enough to hold the front cover to the back of the case whenever I have it open. (Imagine holding it like a book with the cover folded back.) So that's a plus. Just wish it wasn't so darn heavy! Probably those good magnets adding to the weight...

ETA: This is what I used previously, in conjunction with Apple's smart cover. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009XCMYQ4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00 Hoping to find something similar for the mini 4 soon.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I guess it's only the bumper which is "soft". Otherwise the flat back itself is hard plastic and heavy?
Yes. The back is very thick, heavy and has a couple of oblong holes drilled out to allow for cooling. its Okay for 12 bucks, but causes the Mini 4 to loose the sleek feel of using it naked and is no longer light to hold for extended periods. It is better than nothing for the time being.

jev425

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Seattle, WA
Got the apple case and smart cover for the mini 4 today. Like said before it is overpriced but for me, well worth it for the quality and just the fact I can pull off the cover and leave the back case on when playing games or whatever, and not have the cover flapping around

Reactions: ron7624

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I will get an Apple front cover as well. As stated earlier, I'll use a Skinomi skin for the back. That's my setup on all of my past and present iPads. I'd like to use them naked, but don't want to screw up the beauty of my devices.
Man, this iPad Mini 4 is a beast. I'm loving it.

jschu22

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
One other thing I've noticed on the new silicone case is that there seems to be an extra magnet in the middle of the case that locks onto the middle slat of the smart cover. Once folded over, the cover is held by magnets in two locations now keeping it solidly in place (unlike the covers for my iPad Air 2 or previous iPad mini which used to flop down if not held in place with your fingers).

I noticed this as well, certainly an improvement. Whether it's worth all the extra cost...

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
About new cases, the solution of two separate partes is a clever option, because you can pull off the cover when you want, and use the ipad that weight less in that way(and ipad is still protected by back case!). So the combination of less heavy ipad mini 4, and the option to pull off the cover really improve the feeling on your hands(ipad mini 2 weights 30 gr more and leather smart case is much bulkier than silicone case). Of course, the quality of case and cover is top notch BUT...the price is very very high. Please apple...104€ for a complete silicon case??LOL, if the apple products are expensive(a very well spent money in my opinion), their accesories are LUXURY product. Ok, it's Apple...anyway I love the combination of midnight blue smart cover+ midnight blue case.

Pd. Very important for me! The leather cases of old models always had the problem that the cover only was well closed in the magnetized zone. In other zones, the cover was separated from the screen. The new cover+case combination closes perfectly, and I feel the ipad much more protected with it.:)
I agree. I have gray silicone and smart cover and really like the combo. I only wish they made it in black though. I did get a deal on silicone case because they had incorrectly priced for $49 CAD at Apple Store so they honoured the sticker price.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I think a lot of manufacturers didn't expect the sleep magnets for the Mini 4 to be in a different location. I see several Amazon reviews complaining that sleep didn't work - caveat emptor - it may be worth your while to check reviews before buying, although I'm sure the manufacturers will replace them with working versions.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
I placed an order yesterday, it was silicone case. I spent $13 bucks on this case, but I liked to use silicone case because it didn't difficult to clean and it was smooth to hold by one hand. More important thing was its outstanding protected features. Here is a link to share with all of you. :)

http://www.amazon.com/iPad-Mini-Cas...41515&sr=8-15&keywords=ipad+mini+4+case+black

I bought this case last week because I'm leaving on a trip in early October and couldn't wait for more cases to be released. I'm happy with the case but after reading the reviews I used my index finger rather than thumb for the Touch ID.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I bought this case last week because I'm leaving on a trip in early October and couldn't wait for more cases to be released. I'm happy with the case but after reading the reviews I used my index finger rather than thumb for the Touch ID.
I have both thumbs and both index fingers registered for Touch ID.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I have a question for those that bought the Apple cover. Does it have a rubbery feel or is it more like a fake leather like smoother to the touch?
I bought a Moko case a week before so I would have something waiting and it is advertised as premium pu leather. It feels like a soft rubber that irritates my already dry skin.
Does the Apple case feel smooth or rubbery?

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
I have a question for those that bought the Apple cover. Does it have a rubbery feel or is it more like a fake leather like smoother to the touch?
I bought a Moko case a week before so I would have something waiting and it is advertised as premium pu leather. It feels like a soft rubber that irritates my already dry skin.
Does the Apple case feel smooth or rubbery?

It's smooth polyurethane.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.