Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
After using the mini 6 for a week from a mini 4 I’m underwhelmed by the “improvements.”

1. The old TouchID button is much easier to use ambidextrously particularly in landscape mode which I use all the time. My thumbs naturally sit right by the button. With the mini 6 in landscape, the power/TouchID button on the right-bottom is awkward to reach when you need to unlock a banking app or password app. I gotta say I also prefer pressing the home button to go back to the main screen too

2. The change to usb-c is a step back. Now I have to carry yet another cable in addition to lightning and Apple Watch puck. And many usb-c PD bricks are single cable output especially if you need a lot of output like 60w to charge a laptop, so if you bring your laptop you have to remember to swap out cables when one device is done charging, or bring yet another brick. With lightning I just plug it into my cheap travel 4 port usb-a brick.

3. with the removal of the headphone jack it’s quite a hassle to listen to wired headphones. All those 3.5mm and lightning earbuds are useless now. I dug around my drawer and found a usb-c to usb-a dongle which I then daisy chain with a usb-a to 3.5mm. It looks very elegant with 3 different colored dongles plus earbuds.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
1. I hear you but I usually held my Mini 6 with the touchID on the top left while in landscape. Something about the weight distribution felt better so it was muscle memory for me.

2. Every one complained about Apple devices not having usb c so you’re probably in the minority here. If they would have kept lighting people would have lost their minds.

3. Apple sells a usb c to 3.5mm dongle if that makes it easier for you but as we all know Apple is getting rid of them on anything that isn’t running MacOS. I don’t use Apple’s lightning earbuds though so it’s either Bluetooth or 3.5mm headphones for me.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
After using the mini 6 for a week from a mini 4 I’m underwhelmed by the “improvements.”

1. The old TouchID button is much easier to use ambidextrously particularly in landscape mode which I use all the time. My thumbs naturally sit right by the button. With the mini 6 in landscape, the power/TouchID button on the right-bottom is awkward to reach when you need to unlock a banking app or password app. I gotta say I also prefer pressing the home button to go back to the main screen too

2. The change to usb-c is a step back. Now I have to carry yet another cable in addition to lightning and Apple Watch puck. And many usb-c PD bricks are single cable output especially if you need a lot of output like 60w to charge a laptop, so if you bring your laptop you have to remember to swap out cables when one device is done charging, or bring yet another brick. With lightning I just plug it into my cheap travel 4 port usb-a brick.

3. with the removal of the headphone jack it’s quite a hassle to listen to wired headphones. All those 3.5mm and lightning earbuds are useless now. I dug around my drawer and found a usb-c to usb-a dongle which I then daisy chain with a usb-a to 3.5mm. It looks very elegant with 3 different colored dongles plus earbuds.
My Mini 6 is trained to both my left and right forefingers. I use my left with the button on the upper left and my right with the button on the lower right.

I use a USB-C to 3.5mm dongle with my three iPads.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I don’t have a mini, but had some of the same concerns from the Air 3 to Air 4. I disagree with you on 1 and 2. Touchid works great for on the power button and I just put in both thumbs and index fingers. And of course it allows the thinner bezels. As for number 2 the complaint should be why other devices haven’t gone to usbc, not that the Air 4 or mini 6 have. I’d do agree with you on 3. To this day I still miss not being able to use wired headphones on my iPhone and now other devices without an adapter…. And you are right as you need two since you need a usbc for the iPad and lightning for iPhone.

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Did you not research the device before purchasing?

Everything you listed can be learnt from almost any review or even the Apple website.

Just return it, but millions are loving the new iPad mini, and mostly for the improvements you see as negatives.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
1) old way of navigating home and around the OS seems outdated

2) love usb c. Can easily charge it quickly with MacBook Air or work laptop charger

3) it’s 2022

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
I for one find that the change to USB-C was a very forward-thinking change. Macs use (or can use) USB-C now for charging, and all other iPad models in the most recent lineup sold now use USB-C. It's nice to be able to power or recharge your iPad and Mac with the same charging brick.

I would have to agree about the OP's misgivings on the demise of the headphone jack, though. Not everybody has or wants to invest in a pair of Bluetooth earphones/headphones, and there are other audio applications for the traditional 3.5 mm headphone jack as well, like connecting to external speakers.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
one thing I use a lot with my iPad: a usb stick. The USB c port is just so much more convenient!

Reactions: dellaster

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
TouchID in the power button works great, wish iPhones will have this instead of FaceID.
Same goes with USB-C, hopefully future iPhones with have it as well.

The only thing i miss is the headphone jack, but USB-C to 3.5mm dongle okish compromise.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
1. I hear you but I usually held my Mini 6 with the touchID on the top left while in landscape. Something about the weight distribution felt better so it was muscle memory for me.
At least for me, it’s because the pencil sits on the other side and it make more sense to have that on the top in landscape rather than the bottom.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I wish they had moved the sim tray to the other side of the device. For me, the Moko case that I’m currently using leaves the side open where the case opens and closes - so if the sim tray was here the sim could be changed without having to remove the iPad from the case. I don’t use the pencil, but it looks as though the pencil would also cover ths sim tray when attached.

skardvin

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2015
TouchID in the power button works great, wish iPhones will have this instead of FaceID.
Same goes with USB-C, hopefully future iPhones with have it as well.

The only thing i miss is the headphone jack, but USB-C to 3.5mm dongle okish compromise.
What I wish was that iPhones had both Touch ID and FaceID so you could choose which you would rather utilize.

Reactions: geta

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
I'm definitely with you on some of these. I do put a passcode on my iPhone, but I don't on my iPad(s). If I did, I'd never use either TouchID or the FaceID.

USB-C --- I'm definitely in agreeance here. a big step forward over the old USB type A connector, but the Lightning cable is definitely superior IMHO. I ended up going out and purchasing several of those USB-A<->USB-C small adapters - those are roughly 1/2" in size. Given a choice, I would have purchased a Mini-6 with Lightning socket, but USB-C is OK/doable. Its just kind of been a thorn in my side, similar to your comments regarding the lack of the headphone jack.

Going off on a tangent, I've seen that eBay auction where someone had converted an iPhone to USB-C. I'm wondering how feasible it would be to hunt down some Lightning sockets and convert USB-C devices back to Lightning?

I'm not as upset with the loss of the headphone jack as I should be. I typically use (2) iPad Mini's in my vehicle at a time. One for GPS/navigation, the other for music. I attach magnets to the back side of my iPad Mini's, and my vehicle (Scout 800A) has a steel safety dash that I attach the iPad's to. I've got a very capable marine bluetooth speaker system tied into vehicle power, and for my audio needs, bluetooth is working exceedingly well.

Jellyroll - Possibly because 99% of the time I only use my iPad's in landscape mode, I'm not aware that I've ever encountered the iPad Mini 6 jellyroll issue. I guess I should be happy. From reading other forum post, it seems to be a major deal with many.

I own an iPad Mini 2, 4 and as of just recently a 6. I'd picked up the 4 pre-owned/used, mostly was hoping it was OK for my needs because I really like the home button. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it just didn't have a whole lot more horsepower than my iPad Mini 2.

Its not perfect, but overall I've been happy with my iPad Mini 6 purchase, and I definitely would purchase it again if I had it all to do over.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
The headphone jack is dead. Time to stop complaining about it.

A15 processor, 4GB RAM, up to 256GB storage, Wifi 6, 5G, USB-C, larger screen, but same size device from 5. Improvements all the way around. There isn't a comparable Android tablet for this size in power or capability.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010

A15 processor, 4GB RAM, up to 256GB storage, Wifi 6, 5G, USB-C, larger screen, but same size device from 5. Improvements all the way around. There isn't a comparable Android tablet for this size in power or capability.

I didn't complain. Poor choice to drop it IMHO, but I specifically stated that I'm using bluetooth and didn't need it in my use case. Assuming its my post you're replying to, please re-read my comment regarding the headphone jack.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
1. I would prefer Face ID. However I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive about the new Touch ID on the mini 6 but I’ve found it to be totally fine in any orientation.

2. Before getting the iPad mini 6, I already had a MacBook and iPad Pro that used USB-C. So for me it was just another device that uses USB-C. I’ve since got a switch which also uses USB-C so it’s nice to carry one cable that can charge many devices. Lightning on the iPhone hasn’t become an inconvenience yet because I still need it to charge my AirPods (max and pros) and Apple TV remotes. However I would prefer if the iPhone just went to USB—C.

3. I’m used to not having a headphone jack. It’s been years in the iPhone for me (6 years) and 2 years on my iPad Pro. I find wired headphones to be restrictive. The only time I use them is in bed at night with my iPhone when I know I will be in the same position and it’s only because I don’t want to loose or damage my AirPods/beats flex in case I fall asleep in them.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
What I wish was that iPhones had both Touch ID and FaceID so you could choose which you would rather utilize.
Options are always good, but if i need to choose one, it would be TouchID.

BT headphones will never have the same sound quality, and some people care about this. Except the missing headphone jack, the Mini 6 is a great device!

The only thing will make me upgrade to newer Mini is more RAM. Also base model with more storage would be nice to have, but 64GB is fine.

Reactions: ratsg

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
In two months, you might be regretting this purchase.
Not for the reason you gave but OS16 is needing an M1 chip to deliver all functions.
I have a Mini and love it but if the new OS if going to mean a 12 month old device can't run the latest OS properly, there was something wrong last year ;(

Would still love a little Apple Magic Folio keyboard for it.
Yes it would be somewhat cramped but it would be soooooo portable and easier to type on.
If they added a second power/keyboard connector and suitable magnets you could even turn it 90 degrees and have a small portrait device for writing documents. ;)

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Options are always good, but if i need to choose one, it would be TouchID.

BT headphones will never have the same sound quality, and some people care about this. Except the missing headphone jack, the Mini 6 is a great device!

The only thing will make me upgrade to newer Mini is more RAM. Also base model with more storage would be nice to have, but 64GB is fine.
but what music are they going to be listening to on a Mini?
anyone going to load FLACs and chew up limited memory or whack in a USB C drive and not be able to charge it...

if they are streaming theyve already lowered the quality of the audio source.
decent Bluetooth headphones are still going to sound reasonable for most people.
i always thought people didnt like the Apple DACs as not good enough for true high quality wired output.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.